RW John McFarland (2010, 33rd overall, Florida)

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Mcfarland is an amazing hockey player. He goes to my shcool and i have watched him play. He is going to go number one and when he dose he will rip up the OHL.:)

I saw his mom walking down the street the other day. It was pretty funny, I wanted to honk and ask if she can get me John's autograph.

:-P

chnb

Jul 5, 2007
I have seen McFarland in action. He has tonnes of potential however his attitude could led him to trouble. He needs to do a little maturing but could be a NHL top prospect.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
McFarland is a hell of a player, IMO Top 10 for 2010.

Stamkos - 67gp 105g 92a 197pts 87pim - (Markam Waxers - OMHA)
McFarland - 76gp 96g 69a 165pts 176pim (Toronto Jr. Canadiens - GTHL)
Tavares - 72gp 91g 67a 158pts 62pim - (Toronto Marlboros - GTHL)
- 20gp 13g 15a 28pts 10pim - (Milton - OPJHL)

IMO McFarland was by far the consensus player for the #1 overall spot. His numbers were great, his performance in Tournaments especially the OHL cup was outstanding. The difference between those 3, Tavares numbers was putting up 45goals in the OHL when he should have been in Midget like the other 2. Tavares was playing Midget and Jr.A while McFarland 2 years before his draft was playing Bantam, yeah he scored 160goals which is great, but that fact is the point Tavares was in Midget and JR.A dominating he was deemed special. If McFarland had posted those midget numbers a year earlier he would have got exceptional status, instead he went the way of Stamkos, dominating Midget.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
John McFarland's attitude.

He's a supremely talented player, there's no doubt about it... but I saw John last night at a Tim Horton's up here in Richmond Hill. He was wearing his Sudbury Wolves track suit, and was with a couple of his buddies.

One of his buddies was a ******, loud and obnoxious.

I've heard some people criticize John's attitude, does anyone have any other first hand experiences or run-ins with the kid?

It really sucks when top notch talents at this age flush a potential NHL career down the loo because they're jerks.

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
gotta remember these kids are told they are gods there whole lives, for some people it's hard to be humble and not get a big ego.

He is also a kid, try to remember some of the things you said and did when you were his age, he'll grow up...

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
His friend was obnoxious, so he's got an attitude problem?

Look I understand what you're getting at, there's been a whisper of some attitude issues, and you could even pull the "he needs to surround himself with better people", but saying he's got problems with being a hothead because his friend was obnoxious at a Tim Horton's doesn't really give much of ANYTHING to go on.

I can agree, though, that it's tough to watch talented kids waste their future because they have **** for a personality

Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
He's a supremely talented player, there's no doubt about it... but I saw John last night at a Tim Horton's up here in Richmond Hill. He was wearing his Sudbury Wolves track suit, and was with a couple of his buddies.

One of his buddies was a ******, loud and obnoxious.

I've heard some people criticize John's attitude, does anyone have any other first hand experiences or run-ins with the kid?

It really sucks when top notch talents at this age flush a potential NHL career down the loo because they're jerks.

He's just a kid and of course his friends are kids too. Hence....

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009
I've heard he is cocky, confident and carries a sense of entitlement. Nothing wrong with any of that, if you can back it up. From what I have seen, he can.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
He's a 17 years old, and he's going to be a top 10 pick in the draft. He's got a whole lot of talent. Of course as a 17 year old he might think a little highly of himself, but who wouldn't? Just because he had an obnoxious friend at a Tim Horton's doesn't mean that his attitude won't change.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
His friend was obnoxious, so he's got an attitude problem?

Look I understand what you're getting at, there's been a whisper of some attitude issues, and you could even pull the "he needs to surround himself with better people", but saying he's got problems with being a hothead because his friend was obnoxious at a Tim Horton's doesn't really give much of ANYTHING to go on.

I can agree, though, that it's tough to watch talented kids waste their future because they have **** for a personality

I went to school with John's big brother, Paul. I don't have anything against the kid, Mrs. McFarland was always at our school and he comes from a good family. I've always given him the benefit of the doubt, but what I saw last night was kind of an eye opener.

I really hope he doesn't waste his talents, the kid is an amazing hockey player. I hope he succeeds and represents our little town of Richmond Hill. But there have been talk about his attitude being a problem, hopefully he matures in the next couple years, or he starts surrounding himself with better people.

As a hockey fan, I like to think hockey players are more down to earth and good guys. There's no problem with being cocky, I love Alexander Ovechkin... but then there are guys like Angelo Esposito...

Hopefully McFarland doesn't turn out like Angelo, it'd be a waste.

Anyways... I'm still cheering for the kid.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
This is the first I've heard about attitude issues with McFarland. Other than extremely positive or hardworking attitude.

On the other hand, he's a 17 year old boy. Don't they automatically come with ****** attitudes?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I still don't understand this. Going to Tim Horton's means he has an attitude problem?

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
This is the first I've heard about attitude issues with McFarland. Other than extremely positive or hardworking attitude.

On the other hand, he's a 17 year old boy. Don't they automatically come with ****** attitudes?

Because some people like creating bogus rumours. Makes them feel important.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
They're teenagers, that is how they act. I'm sure a lot of prospects cuss, drink, party, etc. This stuff is supposed to come as a surprise because they do a lot of work in the community with little kids and are supposed to be role models. I go to school with some OHL players. Only seen them a couple times but some seem like punks. My older sis has been to parties with some former OHL players. Bottom line is that they are teenagers, it is a phase. I think most teams only care if McFarland can play hockey.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
The original poster has made multiple references to McFarland's poor attitude but all the evidence he's given us is that his friend is "a ******", whatever that is. Are you saying he's a 6 out of 10? That's harsh.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I went to school with John's big brother, Paul. I don't have anything against the kid, Mrs. McFarland was always at our school and he comes from a good family. I've always given him the benefit of the doubt, but what I saw last night was kind of an eye opener.

I really hope he doesn't waste his talents, the kid is an amazing hockey player. I hope he succeeds and represents our little town of Richmond Hill. But there have been talk about his attitude being a problem, hopefully he matures in the next couple years, or he starts surrounding himself with better people.

As a hockey fan, I like to think hockey players are more down to earth and good guys. There's no problem with being cocky, I love Alexander Ovechkin... but then there are guys like Angelo Esposito...

Hopefully McFarland doesn't turn out like Angelo, it'd be a waste.

Anyways... I'm still cheering for the kid.

I have spoken to Esposito many times, he does not have an off ice attitude, he is actually a nice kid, he is cocky about his talent but to talk to and towards fans he is a pretty good guy.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
The problem lies inherently within people like yourself. Here you are, deducing conclusions based on illogical assumptions, all the while igniting malignant reputational assasinations on some young kid that can hardly be expected to fan the flames, and in the end gets ensconced as a person with bad character.

We've seen it before. These kids are usually not old enough to be tried as adults in Canada for actual crimes, yet they pay an unfair and misproportionate price for small judgement misgivings that are really just part-and-parcel of growing up. They deserve a first chance. Then a discrete second chance.

Angelo Esposito is the perfect example of the exponentiated effect of unfairness created by people like you. Unbelievably enough, you think you know Esposito. But short of a denied allegation that he rigged the QMJHL Draft with Patrick Roy to become a Rempart, the kid has been nothing short of respectful in interviews and hardworking on the ice.

In that case, somebody else started the wildfire and you took it to be the gospel truth. In this case, you start the wildfire for other people who cannot think for themselves to take as the gospel truth.

You write that you wish McFarland the best and that you are cheering for the guy. What a bunch of hypocritical windowdressing. If you truly wished him the best, you would have never posted.

BennyBST

Apr 16, 2007
Fairfield CT
He's just a kid, He'll have time to mature.
maybe if he had any attitude problems it was due to being Akim Aliu's teammate..:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->