RW Jesse Ylonen - Laval Rocket, AHL (2018, 35th, MTL)

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Mestis where Jesse plays is Finland's 2nd league after SM liiga.
It's nearly impossible to watch mestis games in online because streams are hard to find and North American sport channels won't broadcast live coverage's on mestis game in North America and fanseat.com costs.

If you wanna see Jesse Ylonen playing your only hope is wish that he makes Finland's world junior roster.
And that's not sure yet.
Yeah, it’s hard to find his stuff. I unfortunately just settle for highlight packages most of the time (which I hate)

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Here is couple of his penalty shots from last week. He seems to have his go-to-move.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I believe he has a 3 game goal streak now.

He also didn't make the U20 team which just tells you how stacked the Finns are this year.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
A bit of translation:

Something about a weak start to the season and now as they have won games it's nicer and easier to play. Everyone is more relaxed. His team has to improve in everything.

Ylönen said that he has things to work on and he says he has become for all-round player. He wants to improve his shot and he want to go straight to the net.

About NHL Draft: He doesn't want to think about it much now. He needs to do thing well with his team and if it is enough to get drafted, good. He can think about the Draft after his season. In the couple of seasons he want to play either in Liiga or some other countrys top league. His dream is to play in the NHL, of course.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Season over for him already since Espoo United didn't make the playoffs 14+13 in 48 games Interesting to see where he ends up next season and where he goes in the draft.

Looking at his stats, some weird hot/cold streaks in Mestis

First 6 games 1+0
Next 25 games: 10+8
Next 10 games 1+0
Last 7 games: 2+5(also played with U20 NT during this time where he scored 6 points in 4 games)

Hot streaks: 33 games, 12 goals, 14 assists= 25 points(o.757 PPG)
Cold streaks: 16 games 2 goals (0.125 PPG)

Of course it's normal for a young player to be inconsistent vs adults, but this just seems odd.

At the start of the season he also played 4 practice games in Mestis and 3 games for the U20 NT where he scored 0+1 so that would make his first 13 games at 1+1.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Season over for him already since Espoo United didn't make the playoffs 14+13 in 48 games Interesting to see where he ends up next season and where he goes in the draft.

Looking at his stats, some weird hot/cold streaks in Mestis

First 6 games 1+0
Next 25 games: 10+8
Next 10 games 1+0
Last 7 games: 2+5(also played with U20 NT during this time where he scored 6 points in 4 games)

Hot streaks: 33 games, 12 goals, 14 assists= 25 points(o.757 PPG)
Cold streaks: 16 games 2 goals (0.125 PPG)

Of course it's normal for a young player to be inconsistent vs adults, but this just seems odd.

At the start of the season he also played 4 practice games in Mestis and 3 games for the U20 NT where he scored 0+1 so that would make his first 13 games at 1+1.

Hopefully some SM liiga team gives chance for Ylönen.
I have a feeling staying to mestis for draft season wasn't good idea.

Last edited:

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Hopefully some SM liiga team gives chance for Ylönen.
I have a feeling staying to mestis for draft season wasn't good idea.
It hurts his draft rankings for sure, but for his development it is debatable. The lack of scouting exposure is no good. Some NHL teams don't even have a scout in Finland, never mind in Mestis, and then they lean on second-hand information, which makes much likely that those teams will fall in love with another player.

Based on what I saw in the last years under-18s championship, he should go in the early-to mid second round. If he goes past that, it will be a great steal for that team that picks him. The skill and puck handling is all there. It will be interesting to follow the draft.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It hurts his draft rankings for sure, but for his development it is debatable. The lack of scouting exposure is no good. Some NHL teams don't even have a scout in Finland, never mind in Mestis, and then they lean on second-hand information, which makes much likely that those teams will fall in love with another player.

Based on what I saw in the last years under-18s championship, he should go in the early-to mid second round. If he goes past that, it will be a great steal for that team that picks him. The skill and puck handling is all there. It will be interesting to follow the draft.

That's true and other thing which hurt Jesse Ylönen's draft stock was missing world juniors.
Mestis isn't known producing NHL players so lets see where Jesse goes in the draft night.
But personally i wouldn't be surprised if / when he stays undrafted that's possible too.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
I think the lack of exposure only affects on rankings but I don't think they matter as much when the draft day comes.

I remember checking the scouts and I think only something like six or seven NHL teams didn't have Finnish NHL scout and even they have multiple scouts from Europe. And Ylönen has been quite widely scouted this season by the scouts. And it is not like it would require playing time in Liiga to be drafted high. We just had a overaged guy drafted from U20 league In the first round.

Personally I think Ylönen could very well be a first round pick.

Reactions: Ippenator

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
You guys who have watched him more than me: what is his play in traffic like? Does he drive the net? Forecheck? How does he fare in puck and board battles? Is he mostly a perimeter player who needs time and space to be effective? Because that's a bit of the impression I get from him. Very skilled and speedy but I question how he'll translate to smaller rink and more physical play, but I haven't seen him since last U18's (outside of the odd highlight) so he may have improved in those areas.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
You guys who have watched him more than me: what is his play in traffic like? Does he drive the net? Forecheck? How does he fare in puck and board battles? Is he mostly a perimeter player who needs time and space to be effective? Because that's a bit of the impression I get from him. Very skilled and speedy but I question how he'll translate to smaller rink and more physical play, but I haven't seen him since last U18's (outside of the odd highlight) so he may have improved in those areas.
He’s a good forechecker and is solid along the boards he doesn’t shy away from physical contact although he needs to get stronger and bigger. I have him early 2nd, borderline 1st rounder. This kid is extremely skilled and can make some really nice plays

Reactions: Zaddy

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Jesse Ylönen | FinnProspects.com
I just leave this here ( i'm too tired to telling more)

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Just another late birthday with one additional year of experience and growth.
Scouts should look at 2000’s that show greater potential for growth first.
Too many 99’s are starting to crowd the rankings at the top.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Finnish jr hockey (@FINjrhockey) | Twitter
Jesse Ylönen: Ylönen is a creative and dynamic winger with an electrifying blend of speed and skill. Smooth skater with speed to burn, good separation speed. A constant offensive threat. Game has improved greatly over the past two seasons. #PelicansFi #2018NHLDraft

DcMptjrXUAAxyYH.jpg

Reactions: G0bias

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad