RW Jesse Puljujärvi - Karpat, FEL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syan Ruter

Snusmumriken
Nov 8, 2012
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=152117

Jesse Puljujärvi, 1998 born forward playing for the Kärpät junior teams has lately caught my attention. He's 15 years old, 6'2'' and the points he's put up...yikes

Kärpät U16 8gp 12g 8a 20pt
Playoffs U16 11gp 15g 9a 24p
Kärpät U18 42gp 31g 20a 51pt

So, as a 15 year old, he put up 51pts in 42 games with the U18 squad. Not only that, but he's got the size and definitely a knack for scoring goals.

Someone who has seen him play more or know more about him; opinions?

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
A few posters in the Finland forum said that he has the 2nd most potential out of all Finish prospects. Even more than Alexsi Saarela which really surprised me. Only behind Barkov. Obviously still long ways to go but very interesting to hear.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
The Fins are gonna teach small hockey nations a lesson in the coming years. Already have the best goaltending in the world, and they have prospects such as Granlund, Barkov, Saarela, Puljuarvi and many others coming up up front. Ristolainen, Vatanen and co on defense. This is ridiculous for a smaller country that is gonna ice quite the old rosters in Sochi. Good job !

Syan Ruter

Snusmumriken
Nov 8, 2012
The Fins are gonna teach small hockey nations a lesson in the coming years. Already have the best goaltending in the world, and they have prospects such as Granlund, Barkov, Saarela, Puljuarvi and many others coming up up front. Ristolainen, Vatanen and co on defense. This is ridiculous for a smaller country that is gonna ice quite the old rosters in Sochi. Good job !

haha, would be great if all of them panned out!

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=152117

Jesse Puljujärvi, 1998 born forward playing for the Kärpät junior teams has lately caught my attention. He's 15 years old, 6'2'' and the points he's put up...yikes

Kärpät U16 8gp 12g 8a 20pt
Playoffs U16 11gp 15g 9a 24p
Kärpät U18 42gp 31g 20a 51pt

So, as a 15 year old, he put up 51pts in 42 games with the U18 squad. Not only that, but he's got the size and definitely a knack for scoring goals.

Someone who has seen him play more or know more about him; opinions?

He even had decent stats as a 13 year old playing Jr. C under 16. Has anyone ever played and been that good in Jr c as a 13 year old. I beileve maybe Mikael Granlund might have played that young but it certain. He seems to have a better offensive rate thus far than Saarela and Barkov with the way he dominated Jr b as a 14 year old? Will he see time in Jr A or possibly Sm-liiga this season or is that out of the question. He'll only be 15 years old until may.

Metalcommand

Mar 3, 2010

Sochi gonna be be like retirement home but 2018 in Korea if players pan out, oh my goodness oh my dayym.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Will he see time in Jr A or possibly Sm-liiga this season or is that out of the question. He'll only be 15 years old until may.

He is training with the A junior team and he should play there for majority of the season.
Unless he flat out dominates in a juniors he won't get any games in sm-liiga this year.
Kärpät's has 19 forwards under contract now + some juniors who are ahead of him in the depth chart. He will be 15 for the whole season, so it's not even possible for him to play more than few games in sm-liiga because he is still in comprehensive school.

Last edited:

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I found this little tidbit from April regarding his play for the '1998 Finland Selects team at the World Selects Invitational Tournament.

Jesse Puljujarvi, F, ’98 (Finland Selects) 6-1/180 — Big, strong, powerful, and skilled. Plays the game an awful lot like Jaromir Jagr. While he appears to be exerting less than maximum effort, he is actually accomplishing a lot. Has excellent poise with the puck and is as strong as an ox when it comes to protecting it. Regarded as one of the top young prospects in Finland and plays with kids two years older. Was a notch above the other European players here. Needless to say, you can count on hearing Puljujarvi’s name a lot in the years to come.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
I found this little tidbit from April regarding his play for the '1998 Finland Selects team at the World Selects Invitational Tournament.

Jesse Puljujarvi, F, ’98 (Finland Selects) 6-1/180 — Big, strong, powerful, and skilled. Plays the game an awful lot like Jaromir Jagr. While he appears to be exerting less than maximum effort, he is actually accomplishing a lot. Has excellent poise with the puck and is as strong as an ox when it comes to protecting it. Regarded as one of the top young prospects in Finland and plays with kids two years older. Was a notch above the other European players here. Needless to say, you can count on hearing Puljujarvi’s name a lot in the years to come.
Thank you for sharing, where did you find this and who wrote this?

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
He's 6'2 now and i think that he is projected to grow to 6'5 range according to finnish national team magazine. He seems to be Ducks fan because of Selänne. Last year he played U18 league as a 14 year old and scored 31 goals in 42 games and was 3rd best goal scorer. Next year we hopefully see him in the U20 league. Promising player but the road is still long for him. I hope we see him at U17 hockey challenge this year.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
I will be extremely interested to see how he plays in u20.. I haven't seen him play yet and for those that have I would like to ask whether he truly has a special skill set or could part be due to him using his size to dominate? I know he's been playing up but still IMO it wouldn't be too hard to push people around in u18 juniors with that kind of size.. a lot of shrimps out there

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I will be extremely interested to see how he plays in u20.. I haven't seen him play yet and for those that have I would like to ask whether he truly has a special skill set or could part be due to him using his size to dominate? I know he's been playing up but still IMO it wouldn't be too hard to push people around in u18 juniors with that kind of size.. a lot of shrimps out there

I think he looked bit undeveloped physically against U18 players. He didn't dominate by his size. He had to fight seriously from the pucks and especially at the beginning of the season he lost many puck battles. I think that his best attribute is his goal scoring ability and especially shot. He is big kid who is strong and powerful skater. He can shoot the puck hard for his age and can snipe it in full speed quickly. He reminds me bit from Ovechkin by style without the enormous intensity without the puck.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
For every Jaromir Jagr, there's hundreds of Jesse Joensuus out there.

By the way, how does Puljujärvi compare to Joensuu at the same age. Both seem to be similar types. Huge kids who dominate the junior games with their size.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

By the way, how does Puljujärvi compare to Joensuu at the same age. Both seem to be similar types. Huge kids who dominate the junior games with their size.

How many times you have seen Puljujärvi at last year for example? He wasn't dominating physically at all. He had trouble to win puck battles against 2-3 year old players than him. He was better when season went further but never dominated physically not even close.

To me Puljujärvi is promising player with huge potential but he isn't Jagr type of player at all. He doesen't have world class vision like Jagr or even elite. He has good vision and good hockeyIQ but nothing like elite. If he pans out i'd see him being Nichushkin/Rick Nash type of player. I would put him step below Barkov as prospect.

Finland has 2 huge prospects in Puljujärvi and Laine if they both pan out... We have 2 very good prospects.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

If he plays in C juniors or something, its no surprise if he dominates.. Many big and talented guys like that buy against older competition.

Last edited:

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
How many times you have seen Puljujärvi at last year for example? He wasn't dominating physically at all. He had trouble to win puck battles against 2-3 year old players than him. He was better when season went further but never dominated physically not even close.

To me Puljujärvi is promising player with huge potential but he isn't Jagr type of player at all. He doesen't have world class vision like Jagr or even elite. He has good vision and good hockeyIQ but nothing like elite. If he pans out i'd see him being Nichushkin/Rick Nash type of player. I would put him step below Barkov as prospect.

Finland has 2 huge prospects in Puljujärvi and Laine if they both pan out... We have 2 very good prospects.
Never seen him play. That's why I'm asking.

tikkanen5rings*

Gabranth scouting playas in all leagues.

Seriously tho. Jesse's dad is a real hockey guy and was a pretty decent prospect himself in Sweden.
Jesse has the advantage of having a coach in home.
Expecting great things from this kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad