RW Eeli Tolvanen Milwaukee Admirals, AHL (2017, 30th, NSH) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't know how many times that "go-to move" is going to work when everybody and their mother knows what he's doing. Sure he has a lethal shot but beating a goalie with a clean shot when he's set up isn't that easy.

Literally every kid have their own go-to move. Then when it doesn't work anymore which is bound to happen playing pro hockey, they adapt and come up with new stuff. That's just normal.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
How they sleep on this guy at draft? Could be one of the better snipers of next generation.

Last edited:

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
It reminds me of Ovechkin.

Every time Ovi sets up for a one timer on the left faceoff circle everyone knows EXACTLY what is going to happen. Yet SO many times there is no defenseman anywhere near him and Backstrom or someone else feathers him a beautiful pass and he blasts it into a corner of the net. It's weird to me that people say "He won't get those opportunities in the NHL" or "When teams learn how dangerous he is they'll cover him more"

Every player, coach, GM, fan, etc all knows EXACTlY what Ovi can do and yet he isn't covered AND he's doing it at the NHL level.

As a Canucks fan I was REALLY hoping Tolvanen would fall to 33

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Of course, just when you miss the one game, he banks in. :laugh:

Oh well, Tolvanen had been denied so many times in the past games it was abound to happen. He's coming off from a long stretch of away games with a PPG. Who'd had guessed.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Watching this kid play....damn. I thought all he had in his game was the shot but he does it all...hits, defends, passes very very well. He does not look like a kid playing against men. Every time he is on the ice something happens.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Watching this kid play....damn. I thought all he had in his game was the shot but he does it all...hits, defends, passes very very well. He does not look like a kid playing against men. Every time he is on the ice something happens.

Yeah, that hit was superb. And that stickhandling. But no points so far, though he had a couple of chances.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016

That was also my thoughts watching him today. Nashville made huge steal.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
He had couple of nice moves today

https://streamable.com/5dc0u

I think Tolvanen had one of his better games today, yet that didn't show on the board. Funny how he gets multiple points when he has a mediocre game but doesn't get points when he is all over the ice like today.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Magnificent skating and hands really. Shows also how bad many people are here at estimating the skating of players. You should really never look at the movement of the feet if you want to really realize how fast players are. Some players have really unefficient skating where their feet move crazy fast, but after all the feet are then too often in the air, which makes the skating very unefficient with the speed after all. It is in fact pretty difficult to judge players speed if you start looking at their feet movement at all.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
This guy dropping as far as he does goes to show how draft stock can drop due to something insignificant like his grades in school not allowing him to play NCAA.

Are teams drafting for rocket scientists or for hockey players? As a Leaf fan I wouldve been happy to get him at 17 if neither Valimaki or Liljegren fell. He's got some serious game breaking ability

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Just happy for the Preds on drafting him. They deserve to have a generational player. Even though the Jets didn't, still happy for you guys.

- A Jets fan

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Just happy for the Preds on drafting him. They deserve to have a generational player. Even though the Jets didn't, still happy for you guys.

- A Jets fan
Ok, the term generational player has gotten out of control at this point, jeez. Promising first few games and looking real good, but a generational player? Come on

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He had couple of nice moves today

https://streamable.com/5dc0u

I think Tolvanen had one of his better games today, yet that didn't show on the board. Funny how he gets multiple points when he has a mediocre game but doesn't get points when he is all over the ice like today.

Based on the games I've watched Eeli could easily have more points than he currently even has (as crazy as it sounds).

And the funny things is that it likely wouldn't even be our best line.

Lehkonen - Ikonen - Tolvanen?

Certainly not. Looking long term, doubt the first two will even make it in the World Cup / Olympic (best vs best) teams and if one of them does, it could be close.

I'd really love to see Laine - Aho - Puljujärvi intact, granted that Jesse finds his game of course and second line being built around Barkov and Tolvanen (with addition of maybe Rantanen). Although, Laine and Tolvanen could be the most lethal duo you could throw on the ice and on PP especially, since they both have devastating shooting ability along with other skill sets. Of course these projections are early, but still fun to think about.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Based on the games I've watched Eeli could easily have more points than he currently even has (as crazy as it sounds).

Lehkonen - Ikonen - Tolvanen?

Certainly not. Looking long term, doubt the first two will even make it in the World Cup / Olympic (best vs best) teams and if one of them does, it could be close.

I'd really love to see Laine - Aho - Puljujärvi intact, granted that Jesse finds his game of course and second line being built around Barkov and Tolvanen (with addition of maybe Rantanen). Although, Laine and Tolvanen could be the most lethal duo you could throw on the ice and on PP especially, since they both have devastating shooting ability along with other skill sets. Of course these projections are early, but still fun to think about.
They could but they would likely be in bottom 6. A good problem to have. Scoring depth was a problem for Finland in the past.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
They could but they would likely be in bottom 6. A good problem to have. Scoring depth was a problem for Finland in the past.

Yeah that's true. I didn't follow Lehkonen all that much last season (apart from a few games) even though I watched a lot of NHL, so I'm not sure how much he's developed the two-way game. They'll probably try mix the bottom six with a bit of goal scoring and then some of the usual grinders. Anyway, as you said, abundance of material is a good problem to have.
The catch is that we have no idea what kind of dark horses/late bloomers could be flying under the radar at the moment. For once or should I say finally, the future is starting to look pretty bright. This kid in particular is something else though. You couldn't get much better value at #30. For Panthers' sakes (one of my favorite teams) I hope Tippet proves worthy. They were amongst the few teams looking for goal scoring wingers. I just find it hard to believe that school grades would have anything/much to do with draft #. I mean Tolvanen himself said that between the training camps and the D year he practically had no time to study.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Every time Ovi sets up for a one timer on the left faceoff circle everyone knows EXACTLY what is going to happen. Yet SO many times there is no defenseman anywhere near him and Backstrom or someone else feathers him a beautiful pass and he blasts it into a corner of the net. It's weird to me that people say "He won't get those opportunities in the NHL" or "When teams learn how dangerous he is they'll cover him more"

Every player, coach, GM, fan, etc all knows EXACTlY what Ovi can do and yet he isn't covered AND he's doing it at the NHL level.

It's true of OV and it was true of Stamkos for a long while too. Everyone in the world knows what they're going for but they make it happen over and over anyway.

The thing is, it's more than a little optimistic to compare almost anyone to prime OV or prime Stamkos. I wouldn't say, for example, OV can do something, therefore even a very good scorer like Hoffman could do it, let alone a fairly unproven prospect. It's definitely possible, but thats all it is right now.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

See Laine, Patrik last night.

His shot is the best I've seen since Brett Hull. :amazed:

You know it's coming but you can't stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad