RW Eeli Tolvanen Milwaukee Admirals, AHL (2017, 30th, NSH) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Originated...Tolvanen has been compared to Laine since well before Laine even got drafted.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Jokerit's coach is an idiot then.
He is also the most respected coach in Finland (WHC/WJC golds + olympic bronze) who called Laine to be the best player in 1998 age group before Laine played in FEL regularly and hardly anyone knew him other than from the Ivan Hlinka incident. So he isn't just some idiot who happened to be hyping his own player for no other reason.

Anyway, Jalonen didn't directly say Tolvanen is comparable to Laine, only that he "got the same feeling" when he saw Tolvanen play, a kid that has elite potential and who is able to impact the game immediately. Those kind of players don't come very often in Finland.

Last edited:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Lots of the hype here has to do with being one of the only guys playing (and playing well) --as camps open up in the NHL and other 2017 first rounders make some noise, I think we will see this thread bumped less and less often.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Lots of the hype here has to do with being one of the only guys playing (and playing well) --as camps open up in the NHL and other 2017 first rounders make some noise, I think we will see this thread bumped less and less often.

Disagree. He fell because of outside circumstances, not talent.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
If the previous Laine and Puljujärvi threads are any indication, this topic will keep getting bumped by Finns everytime Tolvanen nets a point.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Disagree. He fell because of outside circumstances, not talent.

When/where did I say otherwise?

All I'm saying is that once other 1st rounders start blowing up their camps and/or preseason then people will stop seeing him as the only 2017 1st rounder making noise.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
When/where did I say otherwise?

All I'm saying is that once other 1st rounders start blowing up their camps and/or preseason then people will stop seeing him as the only 2017 1st rounder making noise.
Khl >>>>>> junior

The kid is doing historical things. I think he will have the best season this year out of any 2017 draftees. Edit: other than Hischier

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He is still a bit much of a one trick pony, especially on PP where keeping puck for 10 seconds and then shooting isn't the best option probably but man, can he ever shoot. Another rocket one timer today.

Assist was a freebie though, also bad-ish turnover which lead to Amur's 2nd goal.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
He is still a bit much of a one trick pony, especially on PP where keeping puck for 10 seconds and then shooting isn't the best option probably but man, can he ever shoot. Another rocket one timer today.

Assist was a freebie though, also bad-ish turnover which lead to Amur's 2nd goal.

Yeah, that's his go-to move on the PP, hold the puck while moving around a bit and then try to cut to the middle for a wrister. It often results in a pretty dangerous chance, so I don't see what's wrong with it. It's not like he hasn't set up his linemates on the PP.

The turnover wasn't a good play, but I don't think it was the main reason for that goal.

ARGD

Oct 18, 2016

Far from a one trick pony. He is pretty easily the best player with the puck on the team. Smart player, especially with the puck. This has been pretty bad game posession-wise from his line though.

Those shots he took on the power play were excellent plays.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't know how many times that "go-to move" is going to work when everybody and their mother knows what he's doing. Sure he has a lethal shot but beating a goalie with a clean shot when he's set up isn't that easy.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Far from a one trick pony. He is pretty easily the best player with the puck on the team. Smart player, especially with the puck. This has been pretty bad game posession-wise from his line though.

Those shots he took on the power play were excellent plays.

Of his points, how many are OP points vs ES. Anyone know....or where to find it?

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
I don't know how many times that "go-to move" is going to work when everybody and their mother knows what he's doing. Sure he has a lethal shot but beating a goalie with a clean shot when he's set up isn't that easy.

It's not like he is forcing it every time he gets the puck. He seems to be able to pick his spots pretty well, and if it isn't there, he'll distribute the puck.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Of his points, how many are OP points vs ES. Anyone know....or where to find it?

The KHL site has some info, from his 4 goals 1 is a PP goal. There's no stat for PP points, but I remember at least one PP assist. As a side note, he is averaging over 4 shots per game.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's not like he is forcing it every time he gets the puck. He seems to be able to pick his spots pretty well, and if it isn't there, he'll distribute the puck.

It's just my first full Jokerit game this season but he did it twice in 30 seconds so I got the impression he is forcing it. Maybe that's not the case.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
It's just my first full Jokerit game this season but he did it twice in 30 seconds so I got the impression he is forcing it. Maybe that's not the case.

That's because the defenseman played it horribly. You cannot let Tolvanen shoot there. They were lucky he didn't score there.

ARGD

Oct 18, 2016

Definitely not the case. He's been more of a playmaker on the pp, i have wanted him to shoot more.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland

Like said, he's a great playmaker as well. He isn't forcing the shot at least on my viewings.

But the same was said of Laine, everyone knows he's going to shoot it but they really can't stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad