RW Eeli Tolvanen Milwaukee Admirals, AHL (2017, 30th, NSH) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
This was the first game I got to watch...it's a shame he didn't end up with any points, because I thought he was the best player for either team. I was especially surprised with his passing ability...I thought of him as more of a pure sniper, but he had a few really nice setups.

Yeah, people saying he's Tarasenko lite for a reason.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I really wanted this guy for MTL. He looks like a very cocky young player, but it's ok. He got a very great potential. I'm very happy with Poehling and Ikonen. Ikonen is very talented player.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I really wanted this guy for MTL. He looks like a very cocky young player, but it's ok. He got a very great potential. I'm very happy with Poehling and Ikonen. Ikonen is very talented player.

ikonen was a steal

though picking tolvanen instead of poehling would have been a good idea

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He was everywhere yesterday. Extremely unlucky not being on the score sheet compared to effort (may have been his best game) and looked the like the best forward on ice. Was shooting a lot and creating chances for team mates throughout the game. The skating looked fine and definitely enough to succeed at KHL today. I expect him to improve a step or two before the NHL so that won't be an obstacle. He seems pretty agile, has excellent balance (isn't being knocked down on the ice despite the size). Saw him getting crossed-checked once from the back and remained on the skates. Stick-handling is definitely an asset, which combined with elusive playstyle and hands allows him to hold onto the puck for long periods of time. Does things you wouldn't expect from an 18 year old playing in the second highest league in the world.

Could've scored 2 or 3 on a better day. Didn't get a word but the Russian commentators were talking about him throughout the game. Once I even heard "Laine", can only guess the context. :laugh:

The only negative effort I could come up with was Tolvanen being lousy on the shootout. Not sure what he was trying exactly and it looked sloppy.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
The only negative effort I could come up with was Tolvanen being lousy on the shootout. Not sure what he was trying exactly and it looked sloppy.

Yeah, it looked like he changed his mind about what he was doing in the middle of doing it. Classic shootout mistake. I guess he would normally prefer to shoot, but perhaps he didn't have the confidence after being denied 8 times during the game.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Nashville back at it again with smart drafting it seems like.

Will be interesting to follow Fabbro this season aswell

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Yeah, it looked like he changed his mind about what he was doing in the middle of doing it. Classic shootout mistake. I guess he would normally prefer to shoot, but perhaps he didn't have the confidence after being denied 8 times during the game.

I think he tried a fake and then 5-hole, but the goalie had his stick down. Going 5-hole usually looks weak if it doesn't work.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Inconsistent effort level and off-ice issues? That's what few people kept saying about Laine and neither of those turned out to be true. Yes, he might have been somewhat overconfident guy in juniors but all that goes away when you are playing in pro team. From what I've seen in (mostly Finnish) interviews, he seems to be down to earth person.
Not to derail the thread or anything but Laine got sent home from the Hlinka as an underager for threatening his coach and other for not playing the final minutes of a game. So yes, there were off ice concearns.
He was known as an a-hole in juniors. But thankfully he matured and it didn't become an obstacle for who he is today, a real beauty to watch.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Not to derail the thread or anything but Laine got sent home from the Hlinka as an underager for threatening his coach and other for not playing the final minutes of a game. So yes, there were off ice concearns.
He was known as an a-hole in juniors. But thankfully he matured and it didn't become an obstacle for who he is today, a real beauty to watch.
I was talking about how people thought Laine's character was still questionable when he was about to play his first NHL game when there were no signs of him having those issues anymore when he played for Tappara.

Like I said, some people can be cocky in juniors but almost all of them mature up as soon as they start playing for pro teams or grow up in character in general.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
While I like the Laine comparison if he was that good he certainly would have went top 5 in this draft if not #1 overall. Scouts from 31 teams would not have allowed him to fall to 30th overall. They would have been falling over themselves to either draft him or set up a trade to draft him.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
While I like the Laine comparison if he was that good he certainly would have went top 5 in this draft if not #1 overall. Scouts from 31 teams would not have allowed him to fall to 30th overall. They would have been falling over themselves to either draft him or set up a trade to draft him.

His tier I thought was along the ends of Mittelstadt and Owen Tippett Level. (drafted around that range.

Midt because they are both USHLers, 53% of Middelstadts points came from the powerplay, for Tovanen it was 18%. So Tovanen is a legit even strength player. Midt questionable at this as a even strength player.

Tolvanen also averaged a wopping of 4.7 shots a game, similar to Tippet (who averaged that same amount but at the OHl level), (both offensive wingers). Both are shooters the blue print offensive winter type of player.

Im shocked he fell all the way to 31. I had him way higher.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

Laine is a bad comparison and don't think anyone has really compared Eeli with Patrik either. One is 5"10 and the other 6"4-5. Tolvanen seems to get a lot of praise (or atleast I think that's what it is) from the commentators and I'm not surprised to hear Laine mentioned as they both achieved unexpected things as young age. They both have lethal wrist shot, share the same nationality and are products of back to back seasons. So if you wonder why you'd hear about them in the same breath, there's the answer. As a prospect Tolvanen doesn't come close to Laine and that really isn't a knock on Tolvanen. You'd have to look into other short & scoring wingers in the history if you'd want to find a preferable match.

That aside the kid consistently comes out as one of the best if not the best forward on the ice at KHL whether or not he's scoring goals. While he is riding on unsustainable PPG, this isn't a temporary hot streak (when looking at his overall gameplay). He simply is that good already or otherwise KHL itself really isn't as tough league as it has been touted for. One way or the other, really enjoy watching those games even when otherwise having little to none interest to Jokerit as a team. A sleeper pick? No doubt about it.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Is it just 4 games? That's all I can find. Seems excessive but I guess no one else is playing.

Good for him. I wanted him at 20.
Excellent pre season + 4 KHL games and 6 points. He was the best player on the ice despite helding off the scoresheet in the last game. The recent hype is very warranted and I questioned him quite a lot before this season.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Im still a bit in awe of this breakout at the start it is impressive and he has looked very good, but his ushl production was nothing impressive despite liking him the few times i seen him I am still skeptical for that reason. Either he took a huge leap over the summer which is definitely possible or we will see consistency issues during the season.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Is it just 4 games? That's all I can find. Seems excessive but I guess no one else is playing.

Good for him. I wanted him at 20.

doesn't matter how many games... if you display what he has, one game is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad