RW Blake Wheeler: No wheeling problems for this guy

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Almost chose him for my jersey, but went with Bogosian instead... Toughest decision of my life!

Even Strength and PP Production
YEAR | GP | ESTOI/60 | ESP/60 | ESG | ESA | PPTOI/60 | PPP/60 | PPG | PPA | SHTOI/60 | SHG | SHA | SOG | SH%
2008| 81|11.26| 2.43| 17|21 | 0.94| 3.93| 3|2 | 1.18|2|1 | 150| 14.0
2009| 82|12.05| 1.70| 14|14 | 2.06| 2.84| 3|5 | 1.20|1|1 | 159| 11.3
2010| 81|13.14| 2.20| 18|21 | 1.31| 2.82| 0|5 | 1.34|0|0 | 179| 10.1
2011| 80|15.77| 2.05| 11|38 | 2.51| 4.49| 6|9 | 0.19|0|0 | 208| 08.2
Interesting to see that Wheeler, much like Little, had an early career year due to a sh% spike, which in Winnipeg he almost matched the numbers, without having a second sh% spike.
Unlike Little who loss PP time to PK, Noel kept Wheeler from the PK to give him some more PP time. I hope most of you are starting to see a pattern; that usage can extraordinarily affect players points, especially when it comes to TOI.

Even Strength Advance Stats
YEAR | RelQoC | OZS | RelCorsi | Corsi | G/60 | A1/60 | P/60
2008| 0.471| 54.0| 04.8| 04.73| 1.05| 0.79| 2.43
2009| 0.486| 53.1| 04.0| 08.80| 0.85| 0.55| 1.70
2010| 0.756| 53.4| 01.5| 07.94| 1.01| 0.73| 2.20
2011| 0.319| 57.8| 12.6| 09.37| 0.52| 1.00| 2.05
2008: Wheeler enters the league playing mostly ES and PK, with a tiny bit of PP. Luckily he takes advantage of the little PPTOI he receives, adding 3 goals and 2 assists. He also turns out to be a solid PKer and even collects 3 short handed points. Inflated shooting percentages lifts his goals to what still stands as career highs, even with a career low number of shots.
2009: Next season Wheeler gains way more power play time but ends up with the same amount of points, due to a drop in shooting percentage. His point production falls in all three categories but his underlying possession numbers improve a bit.
2010: Wheeler starts in Boston, being used the same with lesser results (58GP, 11G, 16A, 101 SOG. He traded to Atlanta and starts to have an offensive explosion which includes putting more pucks on the net. His season average production and Corsi oddly mirrors his rookie year for even strength, although luckily for Atlanta they got the above average part of the year.
2011: In Winnipeg Wheeler starts off slow with the points, fighting a career low sh% (3.6%), even though he is putting on consistent pressure in creating chances (sound familiar Burmistrov?). What I found interesting is how throughout the year Wheeler was averaging ~2.something shots a game, but in February he jumped to over 3 shots a game and never looked back. He was also a pt/gp player in that time posting 31 points in 31 games.

Side: It is interesting to see how this could have mirrored Burmistrov this season in AHL if there was no end to the lockout. Both had looked dominant on the ice in the begining but no real points to show and had people asking for their heads.
Player A Oct-Nov: 24GP 2G 11A 13PTS 3.57sh% 0.54pts/gp 2.33 SOG/gp
Player B Oct-Nov: 22GP 2G 09A 11PTS 3.85sh% 0.50pts/gp 2.36 SOG/gp
Creepy... A is Wheeler and B is Burmistrov

Summary
Wheeler is an interesting character, being a set-up man on the RW; it isn't that common. In fact looking at RWers who had a primary assist for every 60 minutes of ice and weren't sheltered (>0 RelQoC): Horton, PKane, Wheeler, Stafford, and St.Louis... that's it...
Blake has done well on LLW, in facing off tough competition and beating them, but unlike his compatriots he brings higher end offence.

1-2 Years in the Future
2011-12 Wheeler with:
Partner | TOI | OnIceG/20
Ladd |866 |0.878
Little |656 |0.883
Kane |398 |1.255
Remember, this isn't looking at usage, at competition levels, how well the other team is doing, are they getting beat... just pure goal scoring. When it comes to racking up points, Wheeler with Kane works. Which is one of the main reasons I'd prefer Wheeler on the scoring line. Unfortunately currently we have only two guys (Ladd and Little) who can take tough top6 minutes with offensive so currently I have Wellwood in Wheelers place, but hopefully one day someone can move to the the wing or centre with Ladd and Little so Wheeler can be pushed offensively (of course with out being a defensive liability).
1: x-x-Wheeler
2: Ladd-x-Little
3: x-x-x

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Almost chose him for my jersey, but went with Bogosian instead... Toughest decision of my life!

x

Really? I wish I had your life lol. You know, it wasn't until I had delete all that off my IPhone that I truly realized how long these damn things are! It took me like five minutes!

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
As much as I like LLW (and I really do, Little being one of my favorite players), I can't wait until Wheeler is playing with a real #1C and Kane as his LW. Unless I'm mistaken, both Wheeler and Kane talked about how much they enjoyed playing together when they did that for a short period of time last season. I really think those two could shine together.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
As much as I like LLW (and I really do, Little being one of my favorite players), I can't wait until Wheeler is playing with a real #1C and Kane as his LW. Unless I'm mistaken, both Wheeler and Kane talked about how much they enjoyed playing together when they did that for a short period of time last season. I really think those two could shine together.

Agree - and until that 1C arrives, Jokinen might be a reasonable stand-in. I really hope (though I'm not expecting) that Scheifele is able to force his way into a 1b / 2nd line role, and we can roll these lines:

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - Scheifele - Little

Imagine the havoc the speed of that first line could create. With the 1b / 2nd line, you've got a very defensively responsible line, with two wingers that can put up 20-30G per year. Shut down the 1a line, and this line could kill you.

Anyway: this is dependent upon getting a 1C or using Jokinen in that role, and Scheifele being able to stick in a top 6 role.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree - and until that 1C arrives, Jokinen might be a reasonable stand-in. I really hope (though I'm not expecting) that Scheifele is able to force his way into a 1b / 2nd line role, and we can roll these lines:

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler

Imagine the havoc the speed of that first line could create. With the 1b / 2nd line, you've got a very defensively responsible line, with two wingers that can put up 20-30G per year. Shut down the 1a line, and this line could kill you.

Anyway: this is dependent upon getting a 1C or using Jokinen in that role, and Scheifele being able to stick in a top 6 role.

Dare to dream

If not this year then maybe next year if Mark continues his pace of development. our advantage is he doesn't seem to shy away from any challenge and this would be a big one. they could also give Burmi a crack at centre on that line if Scheif struggles and let the two compete for the spot. The upside is out 3rd line would be Poni, Antro, Welly.

Odds are Wellwood is most likely our top 6 filler for this season but if either of our young guys beat out Kyle honestly we are in really good shape.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler

I would at least like to see the Jets start the season with their top 2 lines looking like that. Scheifele just might fit in well between Ladd and Little and I would like to see Jokinen have a chance to develop some chemistry with our top 2 wingers.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler

Could swap out Scheifele for Burmi and net the same effect. I really doubt Scheifele could step in and be a better all around player than Burmi right away. Even offensively it could be close.

Hansen Brother

Jul 30, 2011
In TO, from Keystone
Could swap out Scheifele for Burmi and net the same effect. I really doubt Scheifele could step in and be a better all around player than Burmi right away. Even offensively it could be close.

I agree. I personally am still very positive about Burmi's long term potential. It's not like he's offensively bad either. As a matter of fact if we compare his one and only OHL season to Scheifele's rookie season they are very similar.

GP G A P
Burmi 62 22 43 65
Scheifele 66 22 53 75

They play a somewhat different game but the only huge difference is in how they were developed. Burmi's offensive game seems to be suffering some side affects of his too rapid advance. However his defensive game is now excellent so perhaps that was a positive side affect. Either way, I still think with a bit of patience, some consistent linemates, and a show of confidence or two from the coaching staff and the fan base, and he will most definitely be a very good center for us going forward.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The only flaw in his game IMO is he needs to break out the tutor shooter a couple hours a day.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Would love to see Burmi and Scheif fight for that position - added motivation for two talented kids to take it to the next level.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Zajac would be absolutely perfect center Ladd and Little. If Burmi can find his offense, I think he'd do well on a defensive line, but I'd imagine he'd be Rw on that line.

I really wanna see what a Kane -Jokinen - Wheeler line could do. Sadly I don't think we'll see it much this year

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Zajac would be absolutely perfect center Ladd and Little. If Burmi can find his offense, I think he'd do well on a defensive line, but I'd imagine he'd be Rw on that line.

I really wanna see what a Kane -Jokinen - Wheeler line could do. Sadly I don't think we'll see it much this year

Agree with Zajac-like player between Ladd and Little, though i'm hopeful that's the type of player Scheifele becomes, and the sooner the better. :)

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I am personally hoping that Scheifele becomes a better player than Zajac. :)

Hope.

I hear ya.

Though, if Scheifele can be a consistent 20-25 g/40+ a/60+ pt guy, and very good defensively (around a +10 to +20 in +/-), i would take that every day of the week.

Especially if he's slotted in the #2 c role, between Ladd and Little. I think he'll be able to put up very good assist numbers playing with those two (like Wheeler does), and play well defensively, but i'm not sure if he'll put up more than 20 goals consistently. I see him getting very similar numbers to Wheeler last year.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I hear ya.

Though, if Scheifele can be a consistent 20-25 g/40+ a/60+ pt guy, and very good defensively (around a +10 to +20 in +/-), i would take that every day of the week.

Especially if he's slotted in the #2 c role, between Ladd and Little. I think he'll be able to put up very good assist numbers playing with those two (like Wheeler does), and play well defensively, but i'm not sure if he'll put up more than 20 goals consistently. I see him getting very similar numbers to Wheeler last year.
I agree.

Just saying if we are hoping, I hope for a lot more. :)

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Even with everyone's eyes on Zajac. Stastny showed strong chemistry with Wheeler. I'd love to get him, but I believe the cap will make that impossible.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Even with everyone's eyes on Zajac. Stastny showed strong chemistry with Wheeler. I'd love to get him, but I believe the cap will make that impossible.

Agreed. Although I think the talk has been around Zajac (and Getzlaf) because they are UFA next year. We'd have to wait another year after that to take a stab at Stasny.

But Stasny and Wheeler did play pretty well together. Maybe Blake will give him a call in a few years to put in a good word? :)

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Agreed. Although I think the talk has been around Zajac (and Getzlaf) because they are UFA next year. We'd have to wait another year after that to take a stab at Stasny.

But Stasny and Wheeler did play pretty well together. Maybe Blake will give him a call in a few years to put in a good word? :)
Oh, so he isn't an FA.

If we are gonna trade for him we may as well trade for Matt Duchene.

...or maybe we can get a deal on their enigmatic almost Russian. They have too many dang possible #1 centres.

Daddy Longlegs

Aug 6, 2012

If we're trading for a centerman from Colorado, it had better be Duchene.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Random stat I found...
Blake Wheeler missed the net more than any other Jet forward (not by ice-time or games-played, just total).
In fact, Wheeler was 6th in the league for forwards for missing the net with 80 shot attempts. Ovechkin led the league with 96.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Oh, so he isn't an FA.

If we are gonna trade for him we may as well trade for Matt Duchene.

...or maybe we can get a deal on their enigmatic almost Russian. They have too many dang possible #1 centres.

I just doubt Duchene would be the one made available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad