RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I don't think there's a controversy either, but Barrie has literally nothing to gain from lying. Absolutely nothing.

There are differences of opinion about medical diagnoses all the time, which is what we mean by "second opinions." But clearly this wasn't even the case here.

Tretiak is also quoted as saying that it was Russians that made the call.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It kind of blows my mind that he is not just considered a lock at #2 by everyone.

Who doesn't rank Svechnikov #2 now? There were a few people that had Svech lower (e.g., McKeen's), but that quickly changed after his scorching start to the year.

I also know that some scouts are coming around to the view that Dahlin and Svechnikov occupy approximately the same tier in terms of upside, as opposed to the old view that it's Dahlin and then everyone else.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I also want here some explanation, what all this numbers means.

The one thing that intrigues me the most of these stats are his zone entries and zone exits.

You can have elite offensive offensive players who just struggle in their own zone. Svech is really good in this area and he doesnt just shoot the puck off the glass or flip it out, he is actually carrying the puck out or passing to his center.
You can also tell he can gain the offensive zone with ease, probably because of his speed, and the d-men back right off.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Is he going to make the NHL right away? Like if my Isles drafted him, I don’t see a spot next year, or is it obvious he needs to be in the NHL? Got no problem with him being told to dominate Juniors again like Barzal.

Also, I forget with the rules, can he play in the AHL because he’s a transfer?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Who doesn't rank Svechnikov #2 now? There were a few people that had Svech lower (e.g., McKeen's), but that quickly changed after his scorching start to the year.

I also know that some scouts are coming around to the view that Dahlin and Svechnikov occupy approximately the same tier in terms of upside, as opposed to the old view that it's Dahlin and then everyone else.

Craig Button has him #3 in his most ranking. Corey Pronman's most recent article seems to be suggesting it is not clear cut who the pick is at #2.

He also said this:
Francois C: Even though you can't deny his arsenal as a goal scorer, I'm not quite sure I see Andrei Svechnikov as a pure game-changer for any lottery team. How do you see his potential, and what influence do you think he can have on a team as soon as year one?

Pronman: I’ve had this debate in the past few weeks with NHL folks. I don’t think anyone I’ve talked to goes to bat for him as a potential elite NHL player. He’s more of a very good at everything but not elite kind of player. He could be a real solid first-line forward.

Which I disagree with strongly...

Last edited:
Reactions: Aho Mitakuye Oyasin

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I forgot about these guys. I really don't get the reasoning here.

There is simply too much information, particularly statistical information, that confirms that Svechnikov is uniquely good and much better than any other forward in this draft class. He is a #1 draft pick in many other drafts.

Button, oddly enough, had Tkachuk #2 in March, a ranking which he never really explains. I bet it's the WJC, which he always overrates.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The one thing that intrigues me the most of these stats are his zone entries and zone exits.

You can have elite offensive offensive players who just struggle in their own zone. Svech is really good in this area and he doesnt just shoot the puck off the glass or flip it out, he is actually carrying the puck out or passing to his center.
You can also tell he can gain the offensive zone with ease, probably because of his speed, and the d-men back right off.

Svechnikov has very good upside as a penalty killer, and hopefully his team will work on him in this area. He has a long reach and ability to disrupt passes which I've noticed a few times.

Development is everything and hopefully Svechnikov doesn't get pigeonholed as strictly a scorer, because he can become so much more in the right hands.

Reactions: Lays

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I forgot about these guys. I really don't get the reasoning here.

There is simply too much information, particularly statistical information, that confirms that Svechnikov is uniquely good and much better than any other forward in this draft class. He is a #1 draft pick in many other drafts.

Button, oddly enough, had Tkachuk #2 in March, a ranking which he never really explains.

I don't get it either. It's just bad logic.

Hossa was a guy that was also "very good at everything". But he didn't have the hardest shot in the world. Wasn't the fastest guy in the world. But again, he was very good at everything and was an elite winger in the league for 10+ years and made an impact all over the ice. I look at Svechnikov very similarly to that.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
You can put that Svechnokiv vs Zadina comparison to rest
Dbj1viOVwAAZtTc.jpg:large

Also Mitch Brown, who posted these stats on twitter, said that Svechnikov was in his own tier even relative to already drafted players who are 1 and 2 years older than he.

To quote: "The average of the categories shows Svechnikov in a tier of his own, followed by a close grouping of Thomas (STL), Zadina (2018), Ratcliffe (PHI), Halbgewachs (SJS), Katchouk (TBL), Xavier Simoneau (2019), Burke (ARI), and Bitten (MTL)."

See: twitter.com/MitchLBrown/status/988815442151079936

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
There's no doubt he goes 2nd imo.

Abit of a sidenote, do you guys see him stepping into NHL early as next season or does he stick in OHL?

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Who realistically had Zadina over Svechnikov anyways? This isnt news.
People who look too much into WJC where Svech “wasn’t good” and Zadina was lighting it up
Zadina, although a long time favorite prospect of mine, has become a bit overrated since then, Svech is better than him at almost everything
Svech is closer to Dahlin than Zadina

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don't get it either. It's just bad logic.

Hossa was a guy that was also "very good at everything". But he didn't have the hardest shot in the world. Wasn't the fastest guy in the world. But again, he was very good at everything and was an elite winger in the league for 10+ years and made an impact all over the ice. I look at Svechnikov very similarly to that.

I agree, and even if a team took a Hossa first overall they would not be disappointed. He basically had a rookie year where he got his feet wet with 15 goals then was a legit top 6 player for 16 seasons. Some of those years he was arguably the best winger in the game.

I think you maybe expect a quicker impact out of Svechnikov at 2nd overall but hes going to be a good player for along time because hes good at everything. I think there is such thing as a goal scorers IQ though. A guy like Brett Hull was bad at everything except had a great touch for scoring goals, Svechnikov could be elite there as well

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I hope that Carolina sends him back for a season, I don't see him as quite NHL ready yet.

Gives them another year to find a goalie before his ELC runs out too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->