RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
what are you talking about? That is completely wrong.
Eichel had 74 points in 40 games in the NCAA in his draft year.
Svechnikov had 58 points in 48 games in the USHL if he was drafted last year.
He scored way less and in a way easier league.

58 points in 48 games in USHL for draft season is good but not top 10 pick material.
Brock Boeser had 68 points in 57 games in his USHL draft season and he went 23rd.

Though to be fair Boeser should have gone higher and would go way higher in a redraft

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Laine hype >> Svechnikov

Laine was magic at the WJC, WC Finland league and playoff.

Laine was the best winger to come out of the draft since Alex Ovechkin.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Is there any concern with this kid and the Russian factor ?

Theres always a little just because he has the back up opportunity if he struggles in the NHL to play in the KHL. But if he struggles in the NHL that much and bolts, that probably means he busted anyways so youre not getting screwed. Every Russian player has that factor, i dont care if they play in North America before. The only player who didnt was Galchenyuk who played for the US national team instead of the Russians. Its a small factor though, and it shouldnt make break your decision to draft him. Mikhail Grigorenko played 2 years in the Q before his draft. Alex Kochlachev played in the OHL before his draft. Both left to the KHL.

KotBegemot

Feb 18, 2018
Got 4 games suspension for this hit in the last game of the season. Well, yeah.

It doesn't look that bad from this angle but still my point about stupid unnecessary penalties still stands. He does it occasionally. I remember how in 2016 Youth Olympics he hit someone in the head (I think it was Oliver Wahlstrom) and he missed semifinals against USA as a result.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
No one ever questioned Yakupov's hockey sense in Sarnia. It's something that didn't translate in the NHL because he doesn't know where to be to get himself open. I don't think it is unreasonable to bring him up when talking about Svechnikov at all. I for one am skeptical of Svechnikov's skillset more than I was Yakupov at the time.

Not saying he will be a bust, I'm fairly confident Svech will be a better player but I prefer Zadina personally.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I heard he's a dog. Like an actual dog. Apparently he's just Air Budin' it out there.

It's quite the Cinderella story. You know, if Cinderella was a dog who played minor league hockey and was likely to be drafted 2nd overall in an NHL draft...
Imagine being the kid in Airbud who got cut from the team for a golden retriever

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
No one ever questioned Yakupov's hockey sense in Sarnia. It's something that didn't translate in the NHL because he doesn't know where to be to get himself open. I don't think it is unreasonable to bring him up when talking about Svechnikov at all. I for one am skeptical of Svechnikov's skillset more than I was Yakupov at the time.

Not saying he will be a bust, I'm fairly confident Svech will be a better player but I prefer Zadina personally.
Yakupov is a smallish winger.

Svechnikov is 6'3 and will probably play at 200+ lbs.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Quite impressive for a rookie. And he was just starting to get his feet wet. (24G and 46PTS in his last 23 games)

XYUlV6F.png

Reactions: Stive Morgan

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Can’t believe he got four games for that Barrie will miss him in playoffs. Despite missing time the kid had an amazing season. I would easily take him second overall.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
No one ever questioned Yakupov's hockey sense in Sarnia.

I did. Maybe some people have short memories but Yakupov started showing troubling signs in his second season in Sarnia in which his production plateaued.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Replying cause i too would like an answer to this! I assumed he was LW. If nuckers land him then him or boeser are 2RW unless he can switch

Didn't see him at LW, even more, when some natural RWs (Kostin and Sokolov) were playing with him on the same line they were the ones that had to go to the LW.

Can someone confirm that Svechnikov is playing in the PK? Thank you!

He played on the PK for Russia U18 NT at the recent 5 Nations tournament.

Reactions: Peeps

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

You're comparing them because they are Russian, play in the CHL and are projected to go high.

If Svechnikovs name was Joey Brown you wouldn't be comparing them at all. You can say otherwise but everyone would know you're lying. They play nothing alike.

Reactions: kp61c

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Nice write-up. Svechnikov is definitely ready for the NHL, though, I wanted to say, as the report mentions he might need another year. I'm 99% certain he'll be in the NHL next year.

We tend to be more conservative in our how soon will they be NHL ready predictions at this point.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
What impresses me most is his hockey iq and passing. He has a great shot, and great hands but that doesn't stop him from making the right play at the right time. Whether it be a simple pass around the boards, a touch pass, or a shot.

I think he steps into an NHL scoring role immediately.

Reactions: Ricklongisland

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Not the same way with Dahlin thou....for some reason :skeptic::huh::naughty:;)

Our ranks have it not close between 1st and 2nd. Dahlin is easily the best prospect defencemen we have done in our 7 years of draft previews and probably a while before that. He is a generational defenceman.

Svechnikov is excellent in his own right... but Dahlin is very special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad