RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Does anyone really think Svechnikov wouldn't have higher numbers if he was on a line with MacKinnon and Frk? As opposed to Nizhnikov and Lipanov?

Reactions: kp61c

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have made no arguments about tiers. My point simply is that Marner's high level of production reflects his situation. One has to look at context.

Don't think ice time is really an issue: no one is saying here that Marner wasn't the best forward on his team.
Fair enough, but the response was in regards to me responding to someone saying it was laughable to put Marner and Drouin in the same group at him.

I also think you have to look at the fact that Svechnikov has had elite linemates by OHL standards since they acquired Luchuk and Sokolov. Who by OHL standards are probably on par with what Marner had, even if the Knights players were better prospects (Dvorak was younger than the 2 guys Barrie acquired and Marner scored at a ridiculous pace when Domi was out of the lineup).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Does anyone really think Svechnikov wouldn't have higher numbers if he was on a line with MacKinnon and Frk? As opposed to Nizhnikov and Lipanov?
Except he’s played more time with Sokolov than either of those guys. I’ll point this out again, Marner had a higher PPG in then playoffs when he centered Rupert and Sterk. So you can’t fully toss this up to linemates.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Fair enough, but the response was in regards to me responding to someone saying it was laughable to put Marner and Drouin in the same group at him.

Yeah, I get you. Drouin was a fantastic prospect and I think his struggles in recent years should not take anything away from how good he was.

I also think you have to look at the fact that Svechnikov has had elite linemates by OHL standards since they acquired Luchuk and Sokolov. Who by OHL standards are probably on par with what Marner had, even if the Knights players were better prospects (Dvorak was younger than the 2 guys Barrie acquired and Marner scored at a ridiculous pace when Domi was out of the lineup).

For our information, Luchuk was acquired mid-December just as Svechnikov was packing his bags for the WJC. Sokolov was added in early January.

Since the World Juniors Svechnikov has 17 goals and 30 points in 18 games. With Sokolov it's 16 goals, 28 points in 16 games. Now that he's healthy and has good linemates we can see his production spiking nicely.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Except he’s played more time with Sokolov than either of those guys. I’ll point this out again, Marner had a higher PPG in then playoffs when he centered Rupert and Sterk. So you can’t fully toss this up to linemates.

I won't argue about this because I don't remember Marner's year very specifically. I can only say that generally he played with high producing teammates and that I remember him being on a line with Frk and Mac.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, I get you. Drouin was a fantastic prospect and I think his struggles in recent years should not take anything away from how good he was.

For our information, Luchuk was acquired mid-December just as Svechnikov was packing his bags for the WJC. Sokolov was added in early January.

Since the World Juniors Svechnikov has 17 goals and 30 points in 18 games. With Sokolov it's 16 goals, 28 points in 16 games. Now that he's healthy and has good linemates we can see his production spiking nicely.
Yeah, I still easily take him over Zadina and Tkachuk. I also don’t think Hall was notably ahead, same with Laine, but they were still ahead. Hall just had an unreal track record. Laine had a ridiculous back half of the season. How he played at the World Championship really removed some of the perceived risks attached.

Reactions: Fantomas

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I won't argue about this because I don't remember Marner's year very specifically. I can only say that generally he played with high producing teammates and that I remember him being on a line with Frk and Mac.
For the 2nd comment, you are referring to Drouin.

Marner played with Dvorak and Rupert almost all season. After they trade McCarron they tried playing Domi with Dvorak and Marner, but it actually hurt his numbers. Domi played a very selfish game which didn’t click. So they went back to Rupert-Dvorak-Marner. Late in the season and in the playoffs they went to Domi-Dvorak and I forgot the last person. Marner was asked to center Rupert and Josh Sterk, which is why some were optimistic he could be a center in the NHL (now a pipe dream).

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
No, you just are missing the point entirely. Svechnikov has been dominant as a prospect for 2 years. That’s very relevant in talking about a prospect’s pedigree.

Right... except Svechnikov kept up. Was #2 last year and is still #2.

Firstly you are missing the point, Laine before his DY was ranked as a top 5 Pick and then continued to have one of the best Draft Year seasons for any Winger period.

Secondly, that’s subjective some people think Zadina has proved to caught up to Svechnikov, some believe Boqvist has more talent and others think Tkachuk is overall better, yes a majority think Svechnikov is #2 in this draft but some don’t think he is #2. In the 2016 Draft it was a was Matthews than Laine and then everybody else, there was no Zadina, no Tkachuk and no Boqvist creeping into the conversation.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
in the playoffs they went to Domi-Dvorak and I forgot the last person. Marner was asked to center Rupert and Josh Sterk

Didn't Marner center Domi & Rupert and Dvorak centered the 2nd line in the playoffs? I remember Dvorak & Marner playing center that year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Didn't Marner center Domi & Rupert and Dvorak centered the 2nd line in the playoffs? I remember Dvorak & Marner playing center that year.
No Dvorak centered Domi in the playoffs. Marner and Dvorak played almost the entire regular season together though. Marner and Domi never really played well together.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Firstly you are missing the point, Laine before his DY was ranked as a top 5 Pick and then continued to have one of the best Draft Year seasons for any Winger period.

Secondly, that’s subjective some people think Zadina has proved to caught up to Svechnikov, some believe Boqvist has more talent and others think Tkachuk is overall better, yes a majority think Svechnikov is #2 in this draft but some don’t think he is #2. In the 2016 Draft it was a was Matthews than Laine and then everybody else, there was no Zadina, no Tkachuk and no Boqvist creeping into the conversation.

Puljujarvii was really close to Laine up until the POs, much closer than Zadina or Boqvist.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Who ever gets Andrei, gets (in my opinion) combination of Ovie and Kuch player.

I was super impressed about his game last season, when he played in the USHL
has not let me down this season in the OHL - he was superior in every way compared to
Eeli Tolvanen of Sioux.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He's going to be a good 1 for sure. A mock I just saw has him going to the Sabres. He and Eichel would be good together.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
For the 2nd comment, you are referring to Drouin.

Marner played with Dvorak and Rupert almost all season. After they trade McCarron they tried playing Domi with Dvorak and Marner, but it actually hurt his numbers. Domi played a very selfish game which didn’t click. So they went back to Rupert-Dvorak-Marner. Late in the season and in the playoffs they went to Domi-Dvorak and I forgot the last person. Marner was asked to center Rupert and Josh Sterk, which is why some were optimistic he could be a center in the NHL (now a pipe dream).

Berisha is the missing person on the Domi-Dvorak line from that playoffs. Yakimowicz also may have got a look.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Wasn't disappointed with tonight's showing. Svechnikov certainly can take care of himself. He was getting shadowed by a Niagara player who was trying to frustrate him. At the end of his shift the player skated up to his bench and Svech gave him a nice check while the refs weren't looking.

Also scored a nifty goal on a great individual effort.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Who ever gets Andrei, gets (in my opinion) combination of Ovie and Kuch player.

I was super impressed about his game last season, when he played in the USHL
has not let me down this season in the OHL - he was superior in every way compared to
Eeli Tolvanen of Sioux.

I've been seeing a lot of Tarasenko in him (ya, another Russian comparison, not super original). The strength, explosiveness, and goal scoring ability are all there. Would love the Sens to draft him and I think if they do (and don't trade Karlsson and blow up the team) he can make an immediate impact next year and help bring them back to the playoffs.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Watched today's game, 2 goals + 1 assist. 59 points in 38 games. As more and more I watch him, I get the feeling he is one of the best prospect forwards in the last several years in terms of playing with the puck down the corners. You don't see him score highlight reel goals each game but he is so good at playing a puck down the boards & in the corners as well as playing in front of goalies and get those greazy dirty goals.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Watched today's game, 2 goals + 1 assist. 59 points in 38 games. As more and more I watch him, I get the feeling he is one of the best prospect forwards in the last several years in terms of playing with the puck down the corners. You don't see him score highlight reel goals each game but he is so good at playing a puck down the boards & in the corners as well as playing in front of goalies and get those greazy dirty goals.

Yea, hes big and nimble. Can beat you with his size, hands, reach or agility. Sounds a bit like Jagr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad