Ruutu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Tuomo...

Is this guy going to be offensive...

Like ever...? They say he was the best player outside the NHL last year...but he's looked pretty mediocre so far 2 points total...

looks like he can barely skate out there...

Like is this guy just slowely recovering from his injury then he'll explode..? or what's the deal...?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Qubax said:
Tuomo...

Is this guy going to be offensive...

Like ever...? They say he was the best player outside the NHL last year...but he's looked pretty mediocre so far 2 points total...

looks like he can barely skate out there...

Like is this guy just slowely recovering from his injury then he'll explode..? or what's the deal...?

I've seen him twice now too and have not been impressed for how much he was hyped!

I thought his skating looked bad as well??

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
Isn't he payed big time money something like $3M??

JasonMacIsaac said:
I knew his skating was bad, that was one of the negatives about his game. He hasn't adjusted at all to the speed on the NHL. He should be sent to the AHL to adjust to the NA game. There is no shame going down there, it helped Spezza.

Upside? I say a good 2nd liner is my safe bet. A player who is fairly physical and can put up 50 to 60 points. Alot like Langenbrunner (now) with a bigger edge.

and did he even sign two way contract the way he was demanding big salary i'm not even sure if he has one way contract or not!!

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Like he's had trouble skating and he's on the big ice surface up until this year...you'd think it would be more noticeable then.....his lack of skating ability that is...and that his physical presence would have been less important up until now.....

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Why wasn´t he part of the finnish WC-team Oh I know, he wasn´t good enough.[/QUOTE]
Or maybe it was because he suffered a knee injury in mid January and had season-ending surgery? Oh no you must be right, he wasnt good enough, although last time I checked they dont consider players for the national team who are injured and havent played a game in over 3 months.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Habsaku said:
You do realize he Pitkanen and Lehtonen weren't on that team either and it doesn't take away their talent.

Lehtonen was, but he was the 3rd goalie behind Nurminen and Hurme. Ruutu probably would've made the team but was sidelined with the infamous knee injury. Pitkänen had a slight chance to make it as well but, like Ruutu, he spent the spring recovering from his injuries.

eh

He could've been the 3th-4th center of the World Championship team if he hadn't been injured, but he most certainly was not the best player outside the NHL, not even the best player in SM-liiga. It doesn't take anything away from his talent, but usually the best players outside the NHL are veterans who for some reason aren't playing in the big league, not prospects who are still developing their game.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Kronblom said:
Did they really...? :eek:

Why wasn´t he part of the finnish WC-team? Oh I know, he wasn´t good enough.

NEWS FLASH: He was out last year with torn knee ligaments. Dont rag on players you know nothing about.

And yes, its true his offensive production has not been as stellar as others expected. However, it is hard to score when your linemates are scott nichol and travis moen. Ruutu has spent most of the season on the 4th line, ever since Daze went down. However, he is still putting forth a full effort every night, and can really swing the momentum of the crowd with his big hits.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
MY question is I agree that he has been hurt etc....and I am curious that if and when he becomes totally healthy can he become the great player he was touted to be....

and if becomes like Bobby Holik or something of the sort then I think a tag like "Superstar" and great future player should be dropped.....

He'll be an everage NHLer....unless ofcourse you guys think that after he's heathly he'll really start putting out....

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
He is still adjusting to the game here, and the level of competition.

Ruutu isn't like Kovalchuk or Gaborik where he beats a guy with speed. He is squatty and has a really strong lower body and beats guys with his str/determination.

A lot of the stickhandling he has done thus far, has got him into trouble. Don't get me wrong, he still has worked passed guys(and done it quite often) but has yet to do it *consistantly*.

He and Sully are the best passers on the team already. People that underestimate this kid are gonna be sorry, because unlike a lot of others he isn't a primmadonna. He will work his ass off to get better.

As far as the skating goes... he stated himself in the local papers that he's had to try and readjust his game more in NA. Basically stating that the way he circled on the big ice, hasn't translated well here. So he's trying to be more straight ahead/straight line stuff.

He doesn't have top end speed, but he absolutely explodes into guys with a short burst of 1-2 strides(which is why his hits seem so big- unlike a guy like tootoo who uses overall speed/charging to get it accomplished[imo]).

Keep underestimating him.....

-fullmetalninja

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Qubax said:
MY question is I agree that he has been hurt etc....and I am curious that if and when he becomes totally healthy can he become the great player he was touted to be....

and if becomes like Bobby Holik or something of the sort then I think a tag like "Superstar" and great future player should be dropped.....

He'll be an everage NHLer....unless ofcourse you guys think that after he's heathly he'll really start putting out....

i'll agree with the 'average player' tag.

I wasn't impressed at all. He didn't seem to have the drive or talent level of his hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->