Ruutu nets 20th goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

db23

Frenzy1 said:
If they couldn't play in the SM Liga, they wouldn't. I understand that you feel they have been prepared (having, as you put it played for 3 season at the AHL level), but there is a reason both were able to play, and that is their ability.

Given. I'm just saying that in comparison to some of the other rookie candidates, Pitkanen and Ruutu have a jump based on their past experience. On the other hand the cultural and style adjustment of coming to North America from Finland may offset that advantage.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
db23 said:
I said "about". Subtract 17 from 42, leaves you with 25 ES points. I'm not sure if Ruutu plays the PK, but if he did, you would have to assume a few PP goals would be scored against him. For the sake of arguement, lets say only 6. ;)

You do the math.

Why are you even bringing up the PK? Did you somehow manage to miss the fact that special teams don't count against +/- unless you're talking shorthanded goals? More than one person has brought it up in this thread.

db23

Flames Draft Watcher said:
Why are you even bringing up the PK? Did you somehow manage to miss the fact that special teams don't count against +/- unless you're talking shorthanded goals? More than one person has brought it up in this thread.

Du'oh.

Someone brought up the fact that Ruutu's PP points don't count on his plus/minus stat. I just pointed out that neither do PP goals against. Is that really so difficult to comprehend?

Hawkalyzer

Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
db23 said:
Du'oh.

Someone brought up the fact that Ruutu's PP points don't count on his plus/minus stat. I just pointed out that neither do PP goals against. Is that really so difficult to comprehend?

+/- doesnt give an acurate scale of how good someone is defensively

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Brian Sutter recently said of Ruutu that people shouldn't take the +/- stat too seriously, as that he puts Ruutu out in close-game situations, last minutes etc..

Sutter said that if Ruutu wasn't defensivly responsable, he wouldn't be sending him out in those situations.

I dunno about you, but I'll take an accomplished NHL head coach's opinions over a +/- stat.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:

A Bryan Berard cough up is always good for a -1 for Ruutu and 3 others. It's happened about 7 times this season. :banghead:

Ruutu isn't a bum on defence. There's a lot of empty net goals scored when he's on the ice.

This is the same team that has played 6 goalies all year. 5 of the 6 should be in the AHL with the last one playin in only 12 games. (Thibault)

db23

Mizral said:
Brian Sutter recently said of Ruutu that people shouldn't take the +/- stat too seriously, as that he puts Ruutu out in close-game situations, last minutes etc..

Sutter said that if Ruutu wasn't defensivly responsable, he wouldn't be sending him out in those situations.

I dunno about you, but I'll take an accomplished NHL head coach's opinions over a +/- stat.

Hmmmm...Somehow I think that if Ruutu was a +30 instead of a -30 for the year, Sutter wouldn't be asking people to "not take it seriously".

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Ruutu is not great defensively, but if you are from the school that good defense is experience and hard work..... Ruutu will end up great defensively.

His problem is that he has been playing out of position for 90% of the season. Sutter has had him on a wing, and its against his nature not to chase........

The first or second game of the season, Ruutu was playing center and as the play developed Palfy got the puck in the slot. Ruutu drilled him before he could get a shot off(and rightly had the whole LA team after him). That is Ruutu's natural defensive inclination- or so it seems. Find guy with puck- make guy get rid of puck by any means necessary.

Now, in sutter's non system system... the Center plays high. That doesn't take advantage of Ruutu's best asset(or most developed asset from day 1) his forechecking ability. I think that's why Sutter put him on the wing, because then he could tell him- go get em.

And when Ruutu has had a burr up his ass- he has played like few players I have ever seen. Watching it live does it much more justice, but when a player see's that he is on the ice, and skating towards them- he just gets rid of it- he doesn't care where......

Its the same kind of thing the Tootoo has brought to the NHL- that wrecking ball style, except Ruutu does it differently. Tootoo is literally a wrecking ball- skating from across the ice to cream guys. Ruutu does that, but more often than not he surprises guys because it doesn't even look like he is skating.

Troy Murray on the hawks broadcast last night, said that Tkachuk(who murray roomed with) told him after the first St Louis game this last weekend that he had Ruutu lined up- and hit him with everything that he had.... and that Ruutu didn't even budge. Yea its a homer broadcast..... but Murray isn't smart enough to make up that story.

-fullmetalninja

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
:handclap: big ups to Ruutu, he's been getting alot better, I really like the youth on this Chicago team, just wait for Yak too, that guy can play, no doubt, but they have some solid young players.

Wirtz :madfire:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
db23 said:
Hmmmm...Somehow I think that if Ruutu was a +30 instead of a -30 for the year, Sutter wouldn't be asking people to "not take it seriously".

If Sutter was here, he'd ask us not to take you seriously.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
db23 said:

not to mention, be a top contender for the calder :D

blackhawk down

Aug 22, 2003
Visit site
fullmetalninja said:
Ruutu is not great defensively, but if you are from the school that good defense is experience and hard work..... Ruutu will end up great defensively.

His problem is that he has been playing out of position for 90% of the season. Sutter has had him on a wing, and its against his nature not to chase........

The first or second game of the season, Ruutu was playing center and as the play developed Palfy got the puck in the slot. Ruutu drilled him before he could get a shot off(and rightly had the whole LA team after him). That is Ruutu's natural defensive inclination- or so it seems. Find guy with puck- make guy get rid of puck by any means necessary.

Now, in sutter's non system system... the Center plays high. That doesn't take advantage of Ruutu's best asset(or most developed asset from day 1) his forechecking ability. I think that's why Sutter put him on the wing, because then he could tell him- go get em.

And when Ruutu has had a burr up his ass- he has played like few players I have ever seen. Watching it live does it much more justice, but when a player see's that he is on the ice, and skating towards them- he just gets rid of it- he doesn't care where......

Its the same kind of thing the Tootoo has brought to the NHL- that wrecking ball style, except Ruutu does it differently. Tootoo is literally a wrecking ball- skating from across the ice to cream guys. Ruutu does that, but more often than not he surprises guys because it doesn't even look like he is skating.

Troy Murray on the hawks broadcast last night, said that Tkachuk(who murray roomed with) told him after the first St Louis game this last weekend that he had Ruutu lined up- and hit him with everything that he had.... and that Ruutu didn't even budge. Yea its a homer broadcast..... but Murray isn't smart enough to make up that story.

-fullmetalninja

Where do you see Tuomo having the most success in the future...? On the wing or at center...? I love this guy. I am a Hawks fan from the Chelios/Belfour/Roenick/S Smith days... it's been a looong time... It will be fun watching Tuomo develop until he is an RFA and then we can watch him get traded for a 2nd rounder and a prospect. Or not...?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Teemu08 said:
another goal for ruutu tonight

I'm not watching the whole game. I missed the goal but saw a couple of shifts and he was really physical out there. It seems he always raises the intensity when I watch him against the Preds.

He's a +1 so far in the game, which means that his defensive game has improved by leaps and bounds since last game! That +/- stat, it's so... useful! :propeller

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Blackhawk down:

I really don't know. He still plays the game like a center, if you ask me. He has worked to where he is comfortable on the wing- and is a force around the crease, but to me he looks like a center playing wing.

I think the important thing is to have him begin next season knowing if he is a wing or a center. He needs to know where he is going to play in the NHL, to take his game to the next level.

That line of Daze/Arnason/Ruutu has been great. I mean, Arnason plays center like a wing, and Ruutu plays wing like a center. Maybe that's a natural chemistry thing...

-fullmetalninja

db23

I think a lot of Ruutu's second half surge stems from the fact that the Hawks were out of the race at that point and the coaching staff basically told the kids just to go for it and not worry too much about defence. I believe he has some fairly substantial scoring bonuses in his contract, so his teammates are feeding him with little else to strive for. On a contending team he would not get nearly the freedom or playing time he has enjoyed. I notice a lot of his goals come with the Hawks already out of the game. So I wouldn't get too carried away with the offensive predictions for him. This is a unique circumstance that he will never be in again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad