Ruutu nets 20th goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

Ahhh bah humbug.....I turned the game off, very boaring for awhile there...

Great news....He's on my team for a keeper league and better yet, he's only a few miles south of me.

Goood news for the Hawks.

Man o man,, I cant waite to see who wins the lottery...Ruutu is going to get some sick player to go along with him no matter what.

Guig

Jun 17, 2003
Qc
Ruutu just scores his 21th goal at 19:46. What a second half year for him...

db23

GuiG said:
Ruutu just scores his 21th goal at 19:46. What a second half year for him...

Yeah, but he still finishes the game a -2. :shakehead Again.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
He Is A Bust!!!1

Now that he reached 20 goals and has been the best rookie for months, people who called him a bust at start of the season can now hang their heads in shame.

Actually, all those people should apologize for wasting our time with those "HE IS A BUST" drivels. Now is your chance ;)

db23

psycho_dad said:
Now that he reached 20 goals and has been the best rookie for months, people who called him a bust at start of the season can now hang their heads in shame.

Actually, all those people should apologize for wasting our time with those "HE IS A BUST" drivels. Now is your chance ;)

Well, he has scored 40 points and is a -31. So there are about two goals scored against him for every one he creates.

But then you guys had to be right sooner or later. After all of the gas about Yakubov, Vorobiev, etc.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
db23 said:
Well, he has scored 40 points and is a -31. So there are about two goals scored against him for every one he creates.

But then you guys had to be right sooner or later. After all of the gas about Yakubov, Vorobiev, etc.

Well I guess that was some sort of apology. By the way, I am not a hawks fan, and have never been talking about those two guys.

Hitman*

He looks like he's the player everyone was talking about. SOmthing Hawk fans can look forward to.

db23

psycho_dad said:
Well I guess that was some sort of apology. By the way, I am not a hawks fan, and have never been talking about those two guys.

Actually I always liked Ruutu. I thought he was the second or third best prospect in the 2001 draft behind Kovalchuk and possibly Spezza. I'm just as happy that the Habs took Komisarek though. I don't know that Ruutu can maintain his style for very long without breaking down.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
db23 said:

...Behind the worst defense in the league which is led by a blind man....

He played on the fourth line for most of the season, so his +/- went down very fast and has since leveled out or so.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
db23 said:

Really? For example today his first goal was on powerplay, so no points for that. That means there was two goals scored on him, for the two he "created"

Ruutu has 17 of his 42 points in PP. You don't see those on the +/-

Sammy*

db23 said:

You should brush up on your math skills.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
db23 said:

Rick Nash was -27 last year while gettin 39 points. He's -35 this season while scoring 40 goals. Nash is not as good of a defensive player as Ruutu.

The +/- issue is more about the team that they play for.

Look at Ray Whitney. -26 last year in Columbus, he's +9 this year.

Sundin was a -24 and -19 in his 1st 2 seasons. Then he has been pretty much a + player ever since.

Deleted member 3032

Sammy said:
You should brush up on your math skills.
His math is fine... he just ignores powerplay points. :) I'm not sure how many Ruutu has, though. Regardless, it isn't like Ruutu is the only player out on the ice on his team (as much as it may look like it sometimes). ;)

Munchausen

psycho_dad said:

Not apologizing for anything, because never have I thought Ruutu was a bust, but I never saw in him the perenial all-star people were projecting him into with the kind of sick numbers that go with it (and I still don't, but he's proven there's potential). I've always been a fan of his game 1st and foremost, and would take him on my team any day. I just didn't expect him to fill some of the most optimistic hopes some fans were coming up with for him.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
psycho_dad said:

That just means that in 3-4 years when his contract reaches 3 mill per season that he will be traded for 2 2nds. :banghead:

I hope Worst dumps the team, fans in Chicago deserve more...... :cheers:

db23

MaV said:
Really? For example today his first goal was on powerplay, so no points for that. That means there was two goals scored on him, for the two he "created"

Ruutu has 17 of his 42 points in PP. You don't see those on the +/-

I said "about". Subtract 17 from 42, leaves you with 25 ES points. I'm not sure if Ruutu plays the PK, but if he did, you would have to assume a few PP goals would be scored against him. For the sake of arguement, lets say only 6. ;)

You do the math.

Without meaning to deflate Ruutu's accomplishments this season too much, I think a big reason that he and Joni Pitkanen have done so well as rookies in the NHL is that they have both played 3 full seasons in the SM Liga, which is about the equivalent of the AHL. A lot of the other rookies are straight out of junior, college, or possibly have one AHL season behind them. It makes a big difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dadof5boys

May 25, 2003
Murfreesbo Tennessee
Visit site
db23 said:
Actually I always liked Ruutu. I thought he was the second or third best prospect in the 2001 draft behind Kovalchuk and possibly Spezza. I'm just as happy that the Habs took Komisarek though. I don't know that Ruutu can maintain his style for very long without breaking down.
You would take Komo over Ruutu?

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
db23 said:
Without meaning to deflate Ruutu's accomplishments this season too much, I think a big reason that he and Joni Pitkanen have done so well as rookies in the NHL is that they have both played 3 full seasons in the SM Liga, which is about the equivalent of the AHL. A lot of the other rookies are straight out of junior, college, or possibly have one AHL season behind them. It makes a big difference.

If they couldn't play in the SM Liga, they wouldn't. I understand that you feel they have been prepared (having, as you put it played for 3 season at the AHL level), but there is a reason both were able to play, and that is their ability.

db23

tulsytrid1 said:
You would take Komo over Ruutu?

At the time of the draft, I wouldn't have. I was pulling for the Habs to draft Ruutu because there was talk of them taking Pascal LeClaire, Fredrick Sjostrom, or Mikko Koivu, none of whom I was very high on. But what Mike Komisarek has done since being drafted leads me to think that he will be at least as useful a player as Ruutu over the years.

Again, not to disparage Ruutu in any way, it is simply a question of having your rewards now or enjoying them down the road a bit. Ruutu will deliver more early, but his upside is not as great as Komisarek. Tuomo had spent the previous 3 seasons in an AHL level environment, so he comes to the NHL much more ready to play. Komisarek has one AHL season, but prior to that he was only playing 40 games a year in the NCAA.

The other thing is that Komisarek is truly unique in the combination of size, durability, and skill that he brings. You are more likely to find "another" Ruutu out there than another Komisarek. Also, I think that a top level defenceman (particularly on the right side) is more valuable to a team than a top level winger.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
db23 said:

I don't think many people are finding Ruutu's play impressive just because of his age.

It's the mix of willingness and skills that has people confident. It doesn't matter how Ruutu picked this up, he still looks like a good player at the end of the day. There are dozens of fairly talented players (one that come to mind easily his teammate and purse-wearer Daze) who aren't half as involved physically and have years of NHL experience.

Using +/- in this case doesn't tell you much, BTW. It's nothing exceptional and will gradually become a thing of the past. It is greatly influenced by collective play and even goaltending performances. In fact, all stats should always be taken with a grain of salt.

I do agree with you that he has been well prepared and is a more mature young man. However, it is very likely that Ruutu played the first half of the year with a knee less than 100% not to mention being a little rusty. Considering this, he looks like a very good player.

PS: I wouldn't completely discard Yakubov and Vorobiev yet. Nor do I have any idea as to what you were trying to accomplish (other than being petty) by bringing them up in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->