Russians playing Possum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'll admit I like the idea of the CAN/RUS challenge but don't look into it too much. The Russians don't even have Zherdev or Ovechkin on their team. The OHL all-stars should have won 7-1 the other night. It is good that we are preparing for the WJC since Russia is the only team that should have a chance at beating us, but this is also a good oppurtunity for the Russians to scout us as well.
Remember they have a history of playing "Possum" and not playing as well as they really can. Remember 1972? We should have beaten them 8-0 every game right? How about 1981? We beat them 7-3 in the preliminary round before getting slaughtered 8-1 by them in the final with a team that had Lafleur, Gretzky, Perreault, Dionne, Bossy, Trottier, etc. Lately the Russians have not been great at the World Cup/ Olympics but they still have one tournament where they can be mysterious. It happened as recently as the 2002 WJC when we beat them 5-2 in the prelim. round and lost 5-4 in the gold medal game. Even thought Canada was easily the better team then.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Big Phil said:
I'll admit I like the idea of the CAN/RUS challenge but don't look into it too much. The Russians don't even have Zherdev or Ovechkin on their team. The OHL all-stars should have won 7-1 the other night. It is good that we are preparing for the WJC since Russia is the only team that should have a chance at beating us, but this is also a good oppurtunity for the Russians to scout us as well.
Remember they have a history of playing "Possum" and not playing as well as they really can. Remember 1972? We should have beaten them 8-0 every game right? How about 1981? We beat them 7-3 in the preliminary round before getting slaughtered 8-1 by them in the final with a team that had Lafleur, Gretzky, Perreault, Dionne, Bossy, Trottier, etc. Lately the Russians have not been great at the World Cup/ Olympics but they still have one tournament where they can be mysterious. It happened as recently as the 2002 WJC when we beat them 5-2 in the prelim. round and lost 5-4 in the gold medal game. Even thought Canada was easily the better team then.

First of all, you have to read what has been writen on this board about the russian team. It's not a U20 all-star team, it's mostly a D team with a couple of young prospects. I doubt Russia sent a bad team to play the silly game you've been talking about.

For the world cup, it's pretty simple. Last year russia had only 3 Nhlers; Kovalchuk, Kalinin and Khavanov, if my memory's right. The team was very young and didn't have any expirience vs NHLers...and they stank, they even lost to Latvia..

For the Olympics, it's arguable. Russia won the Silver Nagano, while Canada didn't get anything. At Salt Lake, russia just played a horrible 2 period vs USA, the third period was all Russia but Richter stood like a wall. I think Russia should have been in the gold medal game. Sport is sport...

As for Canada who won the gold, well, i'm not very convinced.. They lost to sweeden, didn't win vs the Czechs or the Russians, the 3 best teams exept Canada in the tournament. I don't want to start a big battle over that, it's just an opinion.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Big Phil said:

The Russians don't even have "B" team not just Zherdev or Ovechkin.

1972. It is not USSR was playing possum it is Canada was TOO cocky.

1981. That Soviet team had several very young players (Larionov, Fetisov...) plus psychological condition of the team wasn't perfect when players found out (already being in Canada) that Kharlamov died. But in the final for those who forgot USSR Canada 8-1 ;)

2002. Maybe it was possum in robins though I am not sure.

Big Phil said:
Even thought Canada was easily the better team then.

Are you sure about "easily"? Chistov, Frolov, Svitov, Knyazev, Grebeshkov, Polushin... and by the way no Kovalchuk. Russia lost to Finland (the same as Canada did) and Canada but beat them in semifinal and final respectively.

I have the tape of the final game. Canada was better team during 1st period and 5 minutes of the 2nd but the rest of the game it was equal game with advantage of one or another team at times. Russian team looked nervious at the beginning, letting goals at first minute(!) of 1st and 2nd period, you know not every day you letting goals on first seconds of the two periods. 3 of 4 goals by team Canada looked as twins, typical garbage goals caused by really bad game from defensemen. Russian goals looked more attractive ;) So I'd say Canadian goals it was Russian [poor] defence, Russian goals it was Russian [good] offence.
Russia rightfully won showing good game in general by returning games to Finland and Canada (the same I would like to see from Canada in Olympic semifinal vs Sweden ;)).

PS: I think I am winking too much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad