• Thread starter joe_shannon_1983*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Metallian said:
I thought Pierre Mcguire was raving about how Canada has such brilliant rebound & finishing control?
I like McGuire but I don't worship him; I don't agree with everything he says.

Clownpipe*

This is great! This is the way it should be! This is a big game! Canada vs Russia baby! Let them talk! Pogge's proved that he's a bigtime goalie, and look for Cogliano to have a HUGE game! Our defencemen will keep Malkin to the perimeter all day long and shut him down...quality chances will be few and far between for this guy. Canada will not lose this game! Let the Americans lick their wounds and bring on the Russians baby! This is how it should be! Canada all the way! As you can tell, I'm fookin PUMPED! I love this TEAM! Let's go boys!

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
O'Marra is out of his mind:

“We’re big and we’re fast, and I think we have a little bit more balanced attack ,†said forward Ryan O’Marra. “I think they may rely heavily on one player, namely Evgeni Malkin, and I think our tandem of Marc Staal and Ryan Parent can and should be able to shut him down.†:shakehead

I wonder if this is trash talking, or just the absence of knowledge??

Andrei Kastsitsyn*

See, the thing is... everything he said is TRUE. Go russia! :yo:

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Regarding the "trash talk" in the first post of the thread, if a Canadian had uttered the very same words he'd be considered a true Canadian hero who shows alot of heart and determination, people like Don Cherry and his followers would praise him forever. So what's the difference really?

SaskaSens

Dec 17, 2005
Den said:

“We’re big and we’re fast, and I think we have a little bit more balanced attack ,†said forward Ryan O’Marra. “I think they may rely heavily on one player, namely Evgeni Malkin, and I think our tandem of Marc Staal and Ryan Parent can and should be able to shut him down.†:shakehead

Because what he said is true and they can and should be able to shut Malkin down? Demonstrate exactly how this is absense of knowledge or trash talking. With threads like MALKIN IS THE BEST!!! around here sugar coating ONE player, I would think there is plenty of absense of knowledge around here much worse than Ryan O'Marra chump. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

SaskaSens

Dec 17, 2005
PavelBure said:
actually this IS a different team than last year and so is the canadian team so whats your point?
Yes, a different team with 8 returning players who probably said the same thing and lost big time. I think my point would be pretty clear.

greatwhite101*

So where is the trash talk? We are confident we can win? Is that it?

Ohh they should say well, we do not know. Canada is a good team, we should play good, there is no “I†in a team I hope we will win. Thank you very much for giving us the opportunity. We are really lucky\fortune to be in this tournament.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Den said:

The question barely was out of the interpreter's mouth when Evgeni Malkin gave a one-word answer: "Easily."

The query to Malkin, the supremely talented 19-year-old Russian, was whether he thought Russia would beat Canada tonight if it plays to its capabilities.

"That strikes me as typical Russian confidence and that's fine," Canadian forward and Mississauga native Ryan O'Marra said. "That is their belief, and I have a differing opinion. I think our game plan, if we execute it, will be just fine against the Russians."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/2006/01/05/1379992-sun.html

Slightly different commentary from O'Marra.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
SaskaSens said:
Because what he said is true and they can and should be able to shut Malkin down? Demonstrate exactly how this is absense of knowledge or trash talking. With threads like MALKIN IS THE BEST!!! around here sugar coating ONE player, I would think there is plenty of absense of knowledge around here much worse than Ryan O'Marra chump. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

I was refering to the highlited part. Don't care if they can/will stop Malkin. Saying that Canada's offense is more balanced than Russia and that Russia is a one-man team tells me that O'Marra know zilch about them and hasn't seem a single episode of a single game...

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I can't blame the Russians...

for being confident. I am picking them to win this tonight...easily, only if they play as a team. Malkin is right about his teams' chances.

I am very excited about this Canadian team; they are so young as a group, yet still have a 25% chance to beat the Russians today. Malkin is only partially right about skill as the Canadians are on average 1.5 years younger than his team. 18 months at this age makes a big difference in strength and confidence - the skill is there, just hampered by 18 months of physical and emotional development as compared to the more mature Russians.

Goaltending is an issue for the Russians; put any sustained pressure on Hudo' and things could be closer; Pogge standing on his head is not unlikely - so we shall see about "easily".

I predict a 6 to 3 victory for the Russians tonight if they play as a team. If they don't play as a team, a 4 to 2 victory for Canada.

Regardless, two excellent teams - one great hockey game ahead. :handclap:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This isn't trash talk, they just seemed to be honest quotes. I worked with a lot of Russians a few years ago and we were always laughing at how badly English and Russian translated back and forth. I see nothing in this that's even remotely close to trash talk.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Den said:
I was refering to the highlited part. Don't care if they can/will stop Malkin. Saying that Canada's offense is more balanced than Russia and that Russia is a one-man team tells me that O'Marra know zilch about them and hasn't seem a single episode of a single game...

Well, O'marra was playing in a pre-tourney game about 10 days ago when Canada beat Russia 8-1. Sure, Malkin wasn't playing and it was only a pre-tourney game but to say that he hasn't seen the Russians and knows nothing about them is 100% false. Malkin wouldn't have made up 7 goals in that game. Canadas offence looked a whole lot more balanced at that time.

Last edited:

time

Feb 26, 2005
Berkut said:
Seriously, that was so lame...McGuire was going on and on about that...The only thing he forgot is that in Russia no one gives a damn about Lemieux...

Yah, who gives a damn about the guy who sunk the last Soviet team to play Canadian pros? ;)

Although 1987 may be a tad too old for some on this board. . .

I was in Hamilton for Game 3, and all jousting aside, I will never see two better teams go head to head. I am so excited for another classic! Win or lose for my country, it just doesn't get any better than this.

time

Feb 26, 2005
Petey21 said:
Regarding the "trash talk" in the first post of the thread, if a Canadian had uttered the very same words he'd be considered a true Canadian hero who shows alot of heart and determination, people like Don Cherry and his followers would praise him forever. So what's the difference really?

Actually he'd be considered an idiot and ripped a new one by the coach (Cherry or otherwise). There's no point in firing up the opposition.

Anybody here remember '93, when the Swedes had one of the best WJC teams ever? Forsberg said they would beat Canada easily because they couldn't skate, etc... The Canadian coach put the newspaper article on the dressing room wall, and they went on to win that year and the next four as well.

Canada always plays better as an underdog. The best thing that happened to them in '02 was getting killed by Sweden in a meaningless game.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Whats the big deal? That was some pretty tame "trash" talking. Nothing to get upset over. I don't see the Russians as being overly cocky, they just seem to be confident in their own abilities. Nothing wrong with that and doesn't look like they are going out of their way to trash Canadians.

Seems like people are just trying to stir the pot before game time, but I don't think its needed the game should be good on its own :)

Last edited:

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com
“We’re big and we’re fast, and I think we have a little bit more balanced attack,†said forward Ryan O’Marra. “I think they may rely heavily on one player, namely Evgeni Malkin, and I think our tandem of Marc Staal and Ryan Parent can and should be able to shut him down.â€

Team USA would disagree with that. Malkin was limited in that game, but it the other Russian forwards (e.g. Kulemin, Emelin, Lemtyugov, and Shirokov) stepped up.

19Yzerman19

Jul 17, 2004
Mess said:
Good

Steve Downie will deliver the respose tomorrow in person during the game ..

Why?? Is he going to make the 4 youngest Russians get naked with him in the stall between periods!! :sarcasm:

time

Feb 26, 2005
Den said:
Wasn't that Koharsky? :bow:

1972, 1976, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1996, 2002, 2004 -- best on best tournaments where Canada has done better than Russia / Soviets.

1981, 1998 -- the opposite (I was at the 8-1 thrashing by the way).

Tell me what injustices have led to that long streak of success (cuz I'm sure you have few lined up)?

Oh, and let's add the two WJCs where every country had their best available: 1995, 2005. You can look those up.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Pathfinder said:
:biglaugh: So true. What on earth was Ovechkin wearing at the warm-up before the Ottawa/Washington game :p:

Underarmour(Which all playeres wear) and um, I think those things on his feet were plastic clogs(work well with ice). I don't think they make those in men's though....but he doesn't know that.Its like how Igor Larionov used to have Sally Jesse Rafael style glasses when he first came to North America. First year, they doen't always get the subtle differences between men's and women's styles.

In other news, I did a double take at the title of this article....
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060105_125554_5176

Last edited:

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
John Agar said:
for being confident. I am picking them to win this tonight...easily, only if they play as a team. Malkin is right about his teams' chances.

I am very excited about this Canadian team; they are so young as a group, yet still have a 25% chance to beat the Russians today. Malkin is only partially right about skill as the Canadians are on average 1.5 years younger than his team. 18 months at this age makes a big difference in strength and confidence - the skill is there, just hampered by 18 months of physical and emotional development as compared to the more mature Russians.

Goaltending is an issue for the Russians; put any sustained pressure on Hudo' and things could be closer; Pogge standing on his head is not unlikely - so we shall see about "easily".

I predict a 6 to 3 victory for the Russians tonight if they play as a team. If they don't play as a team, a 4 to 2 victory for Canada.

Regardless, two excellent teams - one great hockey game ahead. :handclap:
They plyed as a team the whole tournament i dont se why they wouldnt in the finals. I know the Russians are talented but it doesnt mean squat. They wont roll over Canada especially in a final at home. This will look like TB against Calgary.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
time said:
1972, 1976, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1996, 2002, 2004 -- best on best tournaments where Canada has done better than Russia / Soviets.

1981, 1998 -- the opposite (I was at the 8-1 thrashing by the way).

Tell me what injustices have led to that long streak of success (cuz I'm sure you have few lined up)?

Ah, here we go. This one is as old as ages. My particular gripe is with Koharsky in 87, that's it. As far as the dates in the "best on best": you can cross out 76, 91 and 04. Add 79 in the other collumn. If you don't want to cross out: add 74 and 92 then. Of course Canada is very successful, no doubt. Especially in the tourneys on the American soil.

Oh, and let's add the two WJCs where every country had their best available: 1995, 2005. You can look those up.

:dunno: Do so that you have all your best available annually then. Which you largely do anyway :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad