Russians players confident to press

• Thread starter joe_shannon_1983*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Good. I don't want to have it any other way.

Let's see what their post game interviews sound like.

(Through interpreter)

"I speak no English" -Evgeni Malkin

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good

Brent Sutter will post anything and everything said on the Canada dressing room for motivation and Steve Downie will deliver the respose tomorrow in person during the game ..

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
ferns8916 said:
The Russians are talking some trash before the Gold Medal Game against Canada.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story/?ID=149420&hubname=world_jrs

Russians confident ahead of junior final

Canadian Press

1/4/2006 8:12:50 PM

VANCOUVER (CP) - Skill, explained defenceman Andrei Zubarev, is what will separate Russia from Canada in Thursday's gold medal game at the world junior hockey championship.

The Russians simply have more of it, a confident Zubarev said Wednesday.

"We can compete with them physically but, on a technical level, we will beat them," he said through an interpreter. "Historically the Soviet type of hockey was more skilful. This year is no exception. We will try to beat them by skills."

Goaltender Anton Khudobin agreed with his teammate's assessment.

"If we work as one tomorrow, we will probably dominate," said Khudobin, who had his toque pulled down almost to his eyebrows.

"We must play our game, our Russian hockey type of game, not just dump and chase."

A little Russian trash-talking before the big game maybe?

No, said Zubarev. Simply facts.

"This is confidence, not over-estimated self confidence,"
he said.
First, I guess the translation didn't convey the right tone, then again Russians always sound more direct in interviews. So either it's the translation or Russians are really more direct and that's a cultural thing.

Second, even if they really meant everything, who cares. We all know that skill is not everything. It IS true that most often Russians have more skills, especially over this year's Team Canada but again, we all know that they don't always win.

Third, the only thing I find a bit offensive is that it seems a lot of Russians, fans and players, think that we only win because of our physical play. Like last year, they probably think that physical play is the only reason they lost, yet IMO Canada dominated in every aspect of the game, even in skill. Of course, they will never admit that. Oh I also forgot the dump and chase. Yes Canada tends to do that more than Russia but the irony is that Canada has had better success entering the offensive zone throught the front or side door. We actually CAN do both.

Finally, Russia should do good playing their skillful game but if they're really honest, they should add that they should not be lazy as they often are and also not to showoff too much with individual rushes that lead to nowhere.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Canuck21t said:
First, I guess the translation didn't convey the right tone, then again Russians always sound more direct in interviews. So either it's the translation or Russians are really more direct and that's a cultural thing.

Second, even if they really meant everything, who cares. We all know that skill is not everything. It IS true that most often Russians have more skills, especially over this year's Team Canada but again, we all know that they don't always win.

Third, the only thing I find a bit offensive is that it seems a lot of Russians, fans and players, think that we only win because of our physical play. Like last year, they probably think that physical play is the only reason they lost, yet IMO Canada dominated in every aspect of the game, even in skill. Of course, they will never admit that. Oh I also forgot the dump and chase. Yes Canada tends to do that more than Russia but the irony is that Canada has had better success entering the offensive zone throught the front or side door. We actually CAN do both.

Finally, Russia should do good playing their skillful game but if they're really honest, they should add that they should not be lazy as they often are and also not to showoff too much with individual rushes that lead to nowhere.

And I find it offensive that many Canadian fans and players think that all Russian players are soft wimps who are scared of any kind of physical contact..

Canada had a great team last year. Really awesome and they had it all.. Speed, skill and toughness. They were so good, I still don't know how good a goalie Jeff Glass is as he never got any work to do..

lisario

Feb 10, 2005
Canuck21t said:

Canada didn't really dominate the play until Ovechkin got knocked out of the game. That sucked the life right out of the Russians. This year, they seem to have greatly improved their physical play.

Canuck21t said:

Lazy is an adjective better suited for the '98 Canadian Olympic team. Oh, and the American. Russia's defense and goalies haven't been strong in recent years, and their forwards try fancy **** to overcompensate and drive up the score.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
lisario said:
Canada didn't really dominate the play until Ovechkin got knocked out of the game.

Yes they did. Ovechkin leaving the game early had nothing to do with it.. Canada got an early lead with a soft goal and that knocked us off..

Right before the end of the 1st, we got one back, but then early in the 2nd, we let in another softie, and I think that killed any confidence that Russia had.

As for Ovechkin, he got a separated shoulder during the game against the US and wasn't supposed to play in the finals, but he really wanted to win gold so he played anyway, and the shoulder didn't hold up for long.

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Slick Nick said:
TSN turds will prolly speak about the guy who wears the 66 in RSL ( don't remember who, Lemtyogov?).. Might they add that Pogge rocks Patrick Roy's 33 ...Who the hell is Pogge?
Seriously, that was so lame...McGuire was going on and on about that...The only thing he forgot is that in Russia no one gives a damn about Lemieux...

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Berkut said:
Seriously, that was so lame...McGuire was going on and on about that...The only thing he forgot is that in Russia no one gives a damn about Lemieux...

The greatest player of all time gets no respect by russian hockey fans? :shakehead

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
lisario said:
Canada didn't really dominate the play until Ovechkin got knocked out of the game. That sucked the life right out of the Russians. This year, they seem to have greatly improved their physical play.
So you're saying that Russia was a one man team? I don't know about you but that doesn't sound to good of a team to me.

lisario said:
Lazy is an adjective better suited for the '98 Canadian Olympic team. Oh, and the American. Russia's defense and goalies haven't been strong in recent years, and their forwards try fancy **** to overcompensate and drive up the score.
The '98 Canadian Olympic team was not lazy, they were simply not as skilled as a whole, it's that simple. Think whatever you want, to me Russians are often lazy and individualistic.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
NewHabsArea said:
I cheer for team Canada of course but to be honest, it would take a miracle so that we win this game.. Team Russia is just really too strong, basically no weakness in their game... They are playing their game at an impressing pace and playing with as much intensity as team Canada does, they can play really physical like we saw against team USA as well... It would have been an amazing game if team Canada of last year faced team Russia of this year...

Team Canada will have to be perfect defensively, Pogge will have to be god in net cause they just cant open the play against a such russian hockey machine.

This has been overblown and overhyped in the media and to a lesser extend on these boards, but if Canada comes out hitting and hitting hard... they might stop Russia from making plays in fear of getting layed out and to retalliate. That being said, Russia was better along the boards than the USA and will not be on European time as they were in the exhibition game.

Russia's defence seemed solid, yet not delivering the hit all the time. They either went for stick checks or the HUGE hit with nothing in between. Khudobin has been the best goalie of the tournament so far, but he has not been trully tested in that he hasn't had to be absolutely stellar for his team to win. The Swedes did outshoot Russia, but I did not watch that game.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Russia did play well along the boards as you noted, but obviously not as hell bent on checking/charging/semi-boarding as the Canadians.

Glad you brought up the pokechecking though, I'm really impressed with their stickwork and the ability to steal the puck off the opposition. Granted, I've only seen the USA game but I think that was a fair assessment of their overall game.

Khudobin will have to be good, but so will Pogge. Neither has stolen any games yet, but both have been solid .

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Metallian said:
Russia did play well along the boards as you noted, but obviously not as hell bent on checking/charging/semi-boarding as the Canadians.

Glad you brought up the pokechecking though, I'm really impressed with their stickwork and the ability to steal the puck off the opposition. Granted, I've only seen the USA game but I think that was a fair assessment of their overall game.

Khudobin will have to be good, but so will Pogge. Neither has stolen any games yet, but both have been solid .
Bah, Canada will not win this year. I am so NOT impress with this team. We have a good defense and we're good 5 on 5 but good grief, WE CAN'T FINISH! I'm so sick of seeing them going for the rebound, that's for lesser teams. Aren't we supposed to be an elite team?! I know we're not as skilled as last year but come on, we don't have to be THAT modest. A little creativity wouldn't hurt.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Canuck21t said:
Bah, Canada will not win this year. I am so NOT impress with this team. We have a good defense and we're good 5 on 5 but good grief, WE CAN'T FINISH! I'm so sick of seeing them going for the rebound, that's for lesser teams. Aren't we supposed to be an elite team?! I know we're not as skilled as last year but come on, we don't have to be THAT modest. A little creativity wouldn't hurt.

I thought Pierre Mcguire was raving about how Canada has such brilliant rebound & finishing control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad