Russians players confident to press

• Thread starter joe_shannon_1983*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_shannon_1983*

The Russians are talking some trash before the Gold Medal Game against Canada.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story/?ID=149420&hubname=world_jrs

Russians confident ahead of junior final

Canadian Press

1/4/2006 8:12:50 PM

VANCOUVER (CP) - Skill, explained defenceman Andrei Zubarev, is what will separate Russia from Canada in Thursday's gold medal game at the world junior hockey championship.

The Russians simply have more of it, a confident Zubarev said Wednesday.

"We can compete with them physically but, on a technical level, we will beat them," he said through an interpreter. "Historically the Soviet type of hockey was more skilful. This year is no exception. We will try to beat them by skills."

Goaltender Anton Khudobin agreed with his teammate's assessment.

"If we work as one tomorrow, we will probably dominate," said Khudobin, who had his toque pulled down almost to his eyebrows.

"We must play our game, our Russian hockey type of game, not just dump and chase."

A little Russian trash-talking before the big game maybe?

No, said Zubarev. Simply facts.

"This is confidence, not over-estimated self confidence,"
he said.[/quote]

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Are you really surprised? The tone gets softer at the pro level, but at the juniors, it's always been that way, since the Mogilny years.

At the pro level, though, they have nothing to show for, so they can't really thrash talk.

Oilers1*

Meh, its just a different culture, Russians always sound a little bit over-confident, compared to how North Americans phrase things. Although, there was that whole thing with taunting the US team last year. . .but still, I don't think they're saying anything to shocking. They are more skilled than Canada, and they probably will win.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
If you're not confident going into a game that you can win, chances are you're not going to have a very successful outing.

Chinaski*

And where is the trash talking? What did they say that can offend canadians?

SaskaSens

Dec 17, 2005
Is this the same team that were confident they would beat Canada last year? How quickly they forget...

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
PavelBure said:
i would rather have them being confident than self doubting theirselves
exactly.

"class" and all of those things aside, this is what makes these big games all the more exciting

Chinaski*

SaskaSens said:
Is this the same team that were confident they would beat Canada last year? How quickly they forget...
Well, how many times prior to last year did canadiens lose to us? Can you remind me? We don't forget anything. And remember everything. Confidence is the key. They said we will try to beat and not we will beat. There is the difference.

PavelBure

Jan 5, 2003
edmonton
SaskaSens said:
actually this IS a different team than last year and so is the canadian team so whats your point?

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Russian does not always interpret well into English. I'm glad the Russians are confident, they are a great team. Should be a doozy of a game.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Nothing there :dunno: We Canadians are a hearty bunch, words mean nothing to the scoreboard. Besides, we have all of the USA cheering for us as well as Canada ;)
They have more individual skills IMO, that still doesn't mean they are going to win. It should be a great game. Bring it on! :D

joe_shannon_1983*

Chinaski said:

They are not saying anything to offend Canadians per se.

But they are still talking trash.

Whenever you go to the media and start saying stuff like "we have more skill", or "we will probably dominate", or "some things are facts and we simply have confidence", then I would categorize that as trash-talking.

Did you hear Brad Richards or someone like that say to the media before the 2004 Stanley Cup Finals that Tampa Bay "had more skill" or "would probably dominate" or "facts are facts and we simply have confidence"?

Whenever you voice the types of things that these Russian players did to the media, it is trash-talking.

ARS

Apr 26, 2004
Ottawa
Chinaski said:

How about the statement that they had more skill, which is completely false as the Canadians own them in everything including skill. Heck the US even owned them in skill but they just couldn't work together well enough to win, all Russia really has is Malkin.

Chinaski*

ferns8916 said:
They are not saying anything to offend Canadians per se.

But they are still talking trash.

Whenever you go to the media and start saying stuff like "we have more skill", or "we will probably dominate", or "some things are facts and we simply have confidence", then I would categorize that as trash-talking.

Did you hear Brad Richards or someone like that say to the media before the 2004 Stanley Cup Finals that Tampa Bay "had more skill" or "would probably dominate" or "facts are facts and we simply have confidence"?

Whenever you voice the types of things that these Russian players did to the media, it is trash-talking.
I see it as media manipulation. it is very powerful thing before the match especially with their arc rivals. Fans are being manipulated and brainwashed. All you see in North American media is exactly opposite in Russia. So bring it on indeed. :yo:

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Chinaski said:
I see it as media manipulation. it is very powerful thing before the match especially with their arc rivals. Fans are being manipulated and brainwashed. All you see in North American media is exactly opposite in Russia. So bring it on indeed. :yo:

70 years of Soviet propaganda would make you guys pretty wise to manipulation and propaganda eh ;)

Chinaski*

SensDude said:
How about the statement that they had more skill, which is completely false as the Canadians own them in everything including skill. Heck the US even owned them in skill but they just couldn't work together well enough to win, all Russia really has is Malkin.
Wow. I mean wow. I believe this thread will be even uglier than previous one betwenn Russia-USA. Someone (from the States I believe) posted right about hour or so ago that it is better if Russia wins otherwise it will be canadian gloating all over hfboards all over agai. And it indeed has started already.

Chinaski*

Pathfinder said:
70 years of Soviet propaganda would make you guys pretty wise to manipulation and propaganda eh ;)
Pathfinder I wouldn't talk to you about politics especially of my country. You ve never been there, don't know anything about it, so just concentrate on NHL. Please do so.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
The only thing I take some offense to is the inference that not only is this year Russia's team more skilled than Canada but that Russia has historically been consistently more skilled. (and this is particularly evident amongst Russian posters on these boards) If you look at the most skilled players throughout the history of hockey, Russia might be as talented as Canada. Maybe. I personally don't think so but - admittedly - I am biased on that count.

There is this misconception - at least from Russians - that because Canadian teams are usually the most well rounded teams, they are lacking in the skill department. Sure this year Canada is a weaker on skill (though, add Crosby/Brule/Wolski and Canada is quite comparable) than Russia but they sure aren't scrubs on skates. Frankly, this year's Russia doesn't hold a candle to last years Canadian team in the skill department.

As for the comments, no biggie. They have a very good team and should be confident. But they might want to actually match Canada in the physical department on the ice before they make those claims. They sure didn't in the exhibition game and my suspicions are they won't tomorrow either. It is okay for Canada to lose the game to Russia but getting outplayed in the physical department would be an even more crushing blow to our egos. :)

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
As somebody said, it's hard to translate Russian perfectly into English.

I'm willing to bet, all they said was that they have to play their own game, which is based around skill and if they can do that, they can win.

I see nothing wrong with that. Otherwise, I guess Canadian players saying they have to play defense is them talking trash too :S

Also, I'd like to add. Last year TSN tried to make Ovechkin look like an arrogant ***** too, but then he came to the NHL, and coaches and teammates have had nothing but good things to say about him. TSN again is trying to cause some extra controversy.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
There's a big difference between confidence, and trash talking (which I find reprehensible).

The Russian comments clearly fall into the confidence category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad