Russians/Belarusians Allowed Back Into The CHL Import Draft?

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
Economic sanctions intend to put pressure on the government because of being bad till they make change. Sure this is a “sanction” as well but one that keeps Russian players in Russia is exactly what Putin wants. So we are punishing him by helping him. That makes no sense. Devoiding his cronies teams of young talent would be a wayyy better option in my opinion.

I’d personally allow all Russian players who want to come over and play in North America to come over regardless of contract status in Russia. Tell the Michkovs of the world the nhl will ignore his khl deal and allow him to come over now would be a bigger middle finger to Russia than any chl player ban
Not sure if you are aware, that Michkov's father was murdered when he contemplated extricating his son from his KHL contract.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Economic sanctions intend to put pressure on the government because of being bad till they make change. Sure this is a “sanction” as well but one that keeps Russian players in Russia is exactly what Putin wants. So we are punishing him by helping him. That makes no sense. Devoiding his cronies teams of young talent would be a wayyy better option in my opinion.

I’d personally allow all Russian players who want to come over and play in North America to come over regardless of contract status in Russia. Tell the Michkovs of the world the nhl will ignore his khl deal and allow him to come over now would be a bigger middle finger to Russia than any chl player ban
Doubt Putin cares about hockey players in general. He only cares about himself.
If a player wants to leaves Russia presently he is taking a chance of something happening to him or his family. Putin has young men dragged off the street and sent to the front lines. Doesn't matter what we allow or don't allow. Back when Russia was fighting a war in Afghanistan there were two young 17-18 year old Russians at my place of employment. They were dragged off the street and sent to the front line. Abandoned their post and ran away. Ended up in Canada. I was asked to tell one of them not to return home by a lady that boarded them. They went back regardless.

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
That's....that's not the same.

Sanctions that effect the economy put pressure on the government. That effects how they fund their efforts, how troops get supplied, and general morale of those involved. It is going after the state apparatus that is conducting the invasion operations. Valid strategy.

Banning junior aged hockey players is performative. Let's say you you have a guy across town you just hate. He runs over people's mail boxes and you want to show that you stand with the neighbors that this guy is terrorizing. Now you could go reinforce their mail boxes or perhaps stand guard for when the a hole comes around again. Or take video to supply evidence to the cops. All good options. But instead you decide to throw an egg at his house...from your own front yard 2 miles away. I suppose you've shown your displeasure but you really haven't egged his house have you? You're just kind of throwing a fit on your front lawn.

We all don't like the guy who knocks over mail boxes. Let's not do something useless and then pat ourselves on the backs too hard.
This right here is the simplest truth. Banning junior hockey players has no effect on the war, on peace negotiations, or on propaganda efforts. It is meaningless virtue signaling in its purest form. Not one fewer artillery shell will be used or one fewer gun fired because a dozen or so Russian kids play hockey over here in a given year. To suggest otherwise is plainly asinine. The ban is a dumb policy and should be ended. Those who favor it are wrong.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Never understood this decision which make the business of the Russian Federation.

This plus the fact that it is prohibited to discriminate against an individual (even more so a minor) because of his nationality by international law.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad