Russian Selects vs WHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
stone and macarthur look incredible. and while fehr does have two goals, i'm still not sure if i'd want him there, i'm not sure if he's a good enough skater or good enough with the puck / two way

as well, coburn is definitely losing ground, he's just coasting

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
andora said:
stone and macarthur look incredible. and while fehr does have two goals, i'm still not sure if i'd want him there, i'm not sure if he's a good enough skater or good enough with the puck / two way

:mad: I believe you, but thats not what I want to hear.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
haha.. he's a great player, i really like the guy.. he's like a big tall brett hull out there but personally i just don't like his game for international competition

he had a helluva third period though, working hard, backchecking etc.. basically making my above post completely false :eek: :help: :D

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Habs4Life said:
Well if i played on the first line with great player's im sure i would look good to

He's played a solid game, I don't understand whats wrong with him playing on the first line, that line seems to be very solid.

jincargo

Jan 28, 2004
I think leaving a scorer like Fehr off the WJC would be a mistake for Canada...but thats just me I guess.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think it will come down to whether or not they think they already have enough scorers. They might not like Fehr in a 4th line role.

I hope he forces them to make the team. If Fehr makes it, Stone's chances of making the team increase.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
andora said:

To me it looks like the guy has problems skating. he seems very slow and it looks like hsi actual skating can use a lot of work. Not very mobile at all.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
he just looked so disinterested, didn't take hit opportunities, didn't take pinch opportunities.. he did not look like his high picking a couple years ago...

at this point, i'd rather have a guy like jordan smith

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
How could Fehr not make it?

He's a guy who's going to put up points period.

Yeah, he doesn't play the physical game he has the size for.

Yeah, he's not completely solid defensively.

Yeah, he's not great with the puck right now.

But, he finds the back of the net.

50+ goals last year, and probably at least close to that this year, how could he get passed over?

allrevvedup25

Jul 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
After watching that domination by the WHL, Canada is going to be oe hell of a team to be reckoned with at the WJC. 17 players from Team WHL attended the Canadian Evaluation Camp and when you add the likes of Crosby, Perry, Bolland and many others all you can say is WOW!!! I would be pretty confident in just sending the WHL team to the WJC!!!

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
andora said:
the versteeg/klassen/chichura line was a perfect combo imo, great checking/energy line

can anyone comment on versteeg's play for me? thanks... :)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
My view on the Western League players last night:

Up front, it was like there were three #1 lines and one line playing below that level, but Sutter just rolled them over consistently so that everybody played a lot, in every situation. It would be much easier to list the players who didn't stand out, rather than the ones who did. But here's a brief summary for all of them, line by line...

The line of Colliton, Getzlaf, and Ladd was dominant. Like the Richards line in Game 1 for the OHL, you couldn't exactly say they were smooth, but they held the puck in the other team's zone, owned the ice surface, and generated opportunities on practically every shift, culminating in 3 goals. Colliton showed that he could play more offense than I gave him credit for, but he owns the 4th line job on Team Canada anyway. Getzlaf was his usual dominant self, and Ladd was johnny-on-the-spot for a couple of nice goals.

Dawes-Stone-Fehr... here it was really Fehr serving notice that he is not to a player to overlook for Team Canada. His release would be a lethal complement to a player like Crosby who figures to have an opening on his wing for Team Canada. Dawes looked like he was going to score several times, and is just such an amazing competitor that you have to overlook his size entirely. Stone was solid too, much more talented than I ever gave him credit for in the past. In a normal year, Stone too could gain consideration for Team Canada, but it's getting hard to see where he'd fit in this year.

The line which started the game for Team Canada was Fraser, MacArthur, and Meyer. I thought Fraser was one of the very few invisible WHLers tonight. MacArthur showed some good moves and worked nicely with Meyer. But it was of course Meyer who set the tone for this line, and for the entire WHL team, really. He scored, he was perhaps the most physically involved forward on the night (wasn't he the one who nailed Phaneuf also?), and he just looked flat-out great.

By contrast, the line of Versteeg, Chipchura, and Klassen was visibly a notch below the rest, IMO. They didn't put on much offensive pressure, and didn't really come together as a unit quite as quickly and naturally as the other lines. Versteeg made some good sorties, and Chipchura played a quietly sound all-around game. If you were going to take this Team WHL by itself to the WJC, I think the two obvious players to replace in the lineup would be Fraser and Klassen. I like Klassen in league play, and was hoping he'd get drafted last year, but he didn't really fit in last night. Otherwise, Versteeg and Chipchura could learn to work together on an energy line, and I would also add that the Russian coaching staff seemed to recognize this was the weakest line and tried to get Yunkov and Voloshenko out against them more often than not.

On D, well what can you say really. This defense was men against boys, and ultimately was responsible for the reason why the WHL dominated so handily. I keep looking for ways I can get Syvret onto Team Canada, but Mike Green really makes that difficult. He was excellent last night, in every facet. And with Phaneuf-Weber, and Seabrooke-Coburn already owning spots, wow. It was only natural that Schultz and Carson would seem like the weakest links out there, but that's only in a relative sense to the rest of this awesome blueline.

Glass looked excellent in goal on the few chances he faced, and Beauchemin really wasn't tested at all. I'm trying to figure out how the goaltending is going to work in Game 2; it sounds like Nastiuk replaces Glass, but Beauchemin stays on for another 1 period?! Where does that leave Dubnyk for a showing? :dunno: Anyway, I think I could play goal on this year's Team Canada and make an adequate showing, because with that defense out there, any of these guys are sufficient to hold the fort.

Last edited:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
SmokeyClause said:
Ouch! That looks like a pretty painful pair to be matched up against.
As far as I am concerned, Weber set the tone for the game. For the first few shifts he was very physical(Along with Phaneuf) and after that the Russians seemed very tentative in their own zone.

The WHL defense was stellar. There was only one guy that looked out of place, and that was Jeff Schultz.(Seabrook had a slow start but came on as the game went on.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad