Russian roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Slitty said:
Brylin has some horrible statistic of scoring 3 points in the last 20 games... or something along the lines of that.

May be a chance for the Smoker then? But, gee, what if he takes a hike to the nearest corner dealer in Turin??? :shakehead

rananda

Dec 24, 2004
TORRUS said:
Kozlov always plays RW. The situation with wingers is clear - 4 LWs and 4 RWs. The only queastion is the 4th center. Since Krikunov is likely not going to announce his decision anytime soon let the competition between Brylin, Taratukhin and Zinovjev begin. May the best win!

maybe im wrong but i was pretty sure kozlov played left wing at the world championships. i thought semin played right with yashin in the middle on that line.

in any case i dont see how kozlov's half a point per game average this year is going to help this team. of course ive only seen the devils play 4 or 5 times this season so maybe he's doing great things that im unaware of. funny that ive still seen kozlov play this year 4 or 5 more times than russia's coach. that's a great system.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Can't help but wonder how their goaltending will fair. Nabokov & Khabibulin have been mediocre at best this season.

Will either of them turn it around in time ??

rananda

Dec 24, 2004
it seems (someone who actually speaks russian can correct me here) that kirkunov says he may talk to kozlov about switching to center and then add korolyuk if that's the case. i dont understand why korolyuk has moved ahead of morozov in the rw depth chart, but korolyuk is fast and skilled so i dont think there's a big difference there. i didnt see any mention of taratukhin but i just used a crappy web translator so there may be something else there. it also suggests that brylin is the top candidate if a center is used to replace zhamnov.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
rananda said:
it seems (someone who actually speaks russian can correct me here) that kirkunov says he may talk to kozlov about switching to center and then add korolyuk if that's the case. i dont understand why korolyuk has moved ahead of morozov in the rw depth chart, but korolyuk is fast and skilled so i dont think there's a big difference there. i didnt see any mention of taratukhin but i just used a crappy web translator so there may be something else there. it also suggests that brylin is the top candidate if a center is used to replace zhamnov.
Thanks! These are (would be) very good news imo.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
helicecopter said:
Thanks! These are (would be) very good news imo.

Well, there's yesterday's interview with Kozlov where he says that if asked he'll have to play center, but then he goes literally: "But I can't! I don't want! I won't"!

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
rananda said:

No, he actually says there "I'd like to take, for example, Taratukhin. I'll have to discuss this with Bure and Nemchinov, I hope they will understand"

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
In an interview just after the Rosno cup Krikunov said how Morozov is closer to the Olympic squad than Korolyuk. Anyway, I don't think any of those two will see any action since the battle for the remaining spot will likely be between the 3 centers.

rananda

Dec 24, 2004
it seems like kharitonov and sushinsky missed a recent game with dynamo. any update on their status and if they will questionable for turin?

shawn_kemp*

I read somewhere that Sushinsky has injured his arm or shoulder during the European Champions cup final. They said he'd be back in a week, but now he's scheduled to return to full action one week before the start of the Olympics! Kharitonov also got injured, somehow, but I have zero info on him. I'll ask my Russian sources about it (from another forum).

rananda

Dec 24, 2004
if sushinksy is only coming back a week before the start of the tournament, he should be replaced with morozov. period. we cannot take the chance that he'll be less than 100% or not in game shape. the olympics is too short and too important of a tournament to take a chance like this. kirkunov cannot snub the leading scorer in the rsl to take a chance on one of his boys.

of course i know sushinksy and kharitonov will be there as long as they can walk and hold a hockey stick, which is probably as much as theyll do in the whole tournament.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
rananda said:
if sushinksy is only coming back a week before the start of the tournament, he should be replaced with morozov. period. we cannot take the chance that he'll be less than 100% or not in game shape. the olympics is too short and too important of a tournament to take a chance like this. kirkunov cannot snub the leading scorer in the rsl to take a chance on one of his boys.

of course i know sushinksy and kharitonov will be there as long as they can walk and hold a hockey stick, which is probably as much as theyll do in the whole tournament.

Su gave an interview yesterday saying that he will be back soon. Starting practicing this week. Morozov is not the leading scorer BTW.

rananda

Dec 24, 2004
they should each get multiple starts in the round robin, and then whoever plays better should be the guy from there. they are both really struglging this season but they both have the ability to get hot and steal a game or series. the goaltending is the part of this team i am worried about the least. my guess is that it will be khabibulin because of his experience including the 2002 game against the czechs. who knows what kirkunov will do though. maybe he'll start khabibulin the whole way through. im surprised he isnt going with vitali yeremeyev as his starting goalie. maybe he'll put kharitonov in net.

rananda

Dec 24, 2004
a markov out w a rotator cuff problem for at least 3 weeks. very very bad news as he is the best dmen on this team. looks like he wont be back for much time if any before the tournament, very bad news.

rananda

Dec 24, 2004
any news on sushinsky's status or zhamnov's replacement yet?

bryzgalov has the ability to play very well, he will challenge nabokov for the quarterfinal start.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
rananda said:
any news on sushinsky's status or zhamnov's replacement yet?

bryzgalov has the ability to play very well, he will challenge nabokov for the quarterfinal start.

Sushinsky is back playing.
Zhamnov's replacement is still undecided.
Sokolov could challange for a role too with Khabibulin's injury.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Hey, guys.

I took my time reading your posts.
Very informing!

Here's an updated Russian Roster:

Position Player Previous Olympics Club Name
Goaltender Maxim Sokolov 0 SKA St. Petersburg
Goaltender Evgeni Nabokov 0 San Jose Sharks
Goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov 1 Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Defense Andrei Markov 0 Montreal Canadiens
Defense Alexei Zhitnik 2 New York Islanders