Spooky371*

I'ts a pretty good team.
But not perfect, two things I dont like here :
1) Kasparatis before Zubov ? :dunno:
2) Bykov and no Perezhgoin ? :shakehead

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
I think the good thing is that Krikunov can shuffle the lines as much as he wants. There are really many combinations now...

For example Ovechkin - Datsyuk - Kovalev could be a bomb :eek:

And what about A. Markov - Volchenkov as 1st defensive pairing :handclap:

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Spooky371 said:
I'ts a pretty good team.
But not perfect, two things I dont like here :
1) Kasparatis before Zubov ? :dunno:
2) Bykov and no Perezhgoin ? :shakehead

Jee, man, what planet are you from? Zubov stopped playing for Russia in 96. Perezhogin would be #8 or so in the line for the open winger position

greatwhite101*

Fryer said:
What is the purpose for Kharitonov? :help:

He is pretty good player. Belongs on that team. I am surprised, I do not see Afinogenov. This summer Maxim played very well.

Zubov.... no respect for him even Khabibulin is here.
I would love to see Sergey Fedorov instead of Zhamnov. Fedorov said no... he will be missed

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
After all delaying the anouncment for one day wasn't such a bad idea - look now this is a headline on TSN. Did we see a headline about , say, the Swedish roster yesterday?

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Den said:
Jee, man, what planet are you from? Zubov stopped playing for Russia in 96. Perezhogin would be #8 or so in the line for the open winger position

Maybe he thinks this would be a good opportunity to try Perezhogin on defense. :sarcasm:

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Den said:
After all delaying the anouncment for one day wasn't such a bad idea - look now this is a headline on TSN. Did we see a headline about , say, the Swedish roster yesterday?

TSN's headline for Russia really sucks:

Sidney Crosby won't be there, but his closest rival for NHL Rookie of the Year honours will get to strut his stuff at the upcoming Winter Olympics in Turin.

Crosby's closest rival? After the past few weeks it's more like Crosby is Ovechkin's closest rival, but one should expect nothing less from TCN (The Crosby Network).

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
sveiglar said:
TSN's headline for Russia really sucks:

Crosby's closest rival? After the past few weeks it's more like Crosby is Ovechkin's closest rival, but one should expect nothing less from TCN (The Crosby Network).

Yeah i just saw it :biglaugh:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
TORRUS said:
Defense:
Kasparaitis NYR
Volchenkov OTT
A. Markov MTL
D. Markov NSH
Tyutin NYR
Bykov DYNAMO MOSCOW
Zhitnik NYI
Gonchar PIT

Forwards:
Datsyuk DET
Kovalchuk ATL
Yashin NYI
Kovalev MTL
Ovechkin WAS
Kharitonov DYNAMO MOSCOW
Malkin METALLURG MAGNITOGORSK
Frolov LA
Sushinsky DYNAMO MOSCOW
Zhamnov BOS
Afinogenov BUF
V. Kozlov NJ

Goalies:
Khabibulin CHI
Nabokov SJ
Bryzgalov ANA

http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr0606.htm

Like Team Canada, no real surprises. The only eye-catcher for me is the selection of world-class under-achiever Victor Kozlov. That's about it. Zhamnov has been terrible for Boston this year, but he could fit in as a leader and a defensive centre.

A free-skating, highly-skilled team, but what else would you expect from a team selected by Pavel Bure. As expected, a mostly young team, with very few holdovers from the USSR days. (Is Zhamnov the oldest on the team?) Any team with Datsyuk, Frolov, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Kovalev and Yashin is going to score a lot of goals. The Russians will hope that selected a few players from their top league will pay off like it did for the Czechs in 1998.

As has been stated before, defence is a weak spot. In fact, it's a big-time weak spot. I hold Andrei Markov in the highest regard, but right now, he's Russia's No. 1. That's not good. Gonchar has looked awful this year, but we all know he has big potential. Zhitnik has put up points this year, but has been criticized for his lackluster defensive play. But I will say this: I wouldn't want to skate into the opposition zone with my head down if Kasparitus or Volochenkov is on the ice.

Russia goes into this tournament looking for their first gold medal at a major international non-junior tournament since the 1993 World Championships. It's been a major dry spell. They go in not as the favourite or team to beat, or even No. 2 (Canada and the Czechs are ahead on most people's list, and I had Finland at No. 3 before Kiprusoff backed out). This team should definitely qualify for the medal round, and from there, it's just a series of best-of-ones, and in that situation, anything can happen, especially with a goalie like Khabibulin.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I am already excited to watch this team take to the ice. This roster looks like it can fly, forwards especially. Could be a huge surprise, at least I'm hoping. Always get torn if Russia plays the Czechs, (family from both sides), but I am glad Khabibulin finally decided to join.

That decision right there gives Russia a 100% boost to take the tourney, if he gets hot, even if the team in front of him plays not as expected, still gives the squad a shot at gold. Nice to know hes getting hot with the Blackhawks as well, which is no easy task.

rananda

Dec 24, 2004
why does malkin and sushinsky need a passer? they are both more playmakers than scorers. they need a big winger who will get the puck in the corner and go to the net and score. let malkin and sushinky skate w the puck and make plays. now malkin is playing w two tiny players in sushinksy and kharitonov. this makes no sense. brylin or morozov would have made much more sense. so what they had chemistry in the rosno cup together. doesnt kirkunov realize the competition is going to be much stiffer in the olympics. kharitonov was the worst russian player in the world championships in my opinion. i am devastated by this selection. i would really have loved to see morozov on this team. kirkunov only trusts his own dynamo players though. very sad.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nobody raves about the fact that a guy that hasn't stepped on NHL ice could be Russia's first line center?

I find it amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad