Russian right wingers vs. left wingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Is it just me, but it seems that Russia produces some of the best left wingers in the game right now, but not many good right wingers? I wonder if this is just a coincidence or what?

Let's look at some of the best wingers Russia has produced recently: Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Zherdev, Frolov, Semin, Chistov and Grigorenko. Only Grigorenko is a RW and the rest are LW:ers. I might have forgotten someone, but these were the best young Russian wingers I could think of.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Peter25 said:
Is it just me, but it seems that Russia produces some of the best left wingers in the game right now, but not many good right wingers? I wonder if this is just a coincidence or what?

Let's look at some of the best wingers Russia has produced recently: Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Zherdev, Frolov, Semin, Chistov and Grigorenko. Only Grigorenko is a RW and the rest are LW:ers. I might have forgotten someone, but these were the best young Russian wingers I could think of.

I thought Ovechkin was a RW/C? You make a very good point, btw. The system in Russia is excellent, if only a little too inclusive.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Peter25 said:

Seriously! I didn't realize until I ran the report. There's also Koltsov, Radulov, Afanasenkov, and what about Fedor Fedorov? You're right, there's tonnes of left wingers. Very odd. For right wingers, you've got Hemsky, Chistov, Alexeev and a few more if you dig, but not many.

Safir*

s7ark said:

He's not Russian or comes from any CIS country. Ales calls the Czech Republic his home country. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Munchausen

It seems alot of Russian players can play both wings effectively. Kovalev is a left-handed right-wing. Same for Perezhogin, who can also play his natural wing just as well. Same goes for Kastsitsyn. The list goes on. I don't know if it's because in NA, coaches tend to like having players play on their natural wings for defensive purposes (did not verify the numbers) but European players in general seem to be able to play comfortably at any position, while it may be more difficult for NA players. Might not be true at all and it's certainly a generalization with its limitations (ie: Havlat). But it's just an impression I get.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
TomACE said:
He's not Russian or comes from any CIS country. Ales calls the Czech Republic his home country. ;)

What's funny is that when I was at E&C watching the oilers tonight I remembered typing him in here, and I realized "hey, he's not russian!" My bad... the "real" s7ark would have slapped me silly.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Peter25 said:

I think it might be more of a product of the Russian kids being so versatile and such a lack of quality NA kids playing LW, so when they get here and can play a weak position the Russians are thrust into it.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Foppa_Rules said:
Ovechkin is a Left Wing/Right Wing. He plays both regularly.

Foppa, how many times have you seen Ovechkin play? I've seen examples of his skating ability, but not his shooting, or hands. How would you describe them?.. bc you seem like an authority on the kid. ;)

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
I know what position he plays because after every one of his games I check the lineup card. Lately he has been playing on the third line on either Left or Right Wing with Chipin and Kuvaldin.

Here is an example of the lineup cards I check.

Владимир Воробьев - Алексей Терещенко - Александр Степанов
Александр Харитонов - Вадим Шахрайчук - Игорь Мирнов
Александр Овечкин - Алексей Чупин - Александр Кувалдин
Руслан Зайнуллин - Денис Карцев - Александр Савченков

He has been playing on left wing for the last 5 games. But now the Superleague season and playoffs are over. Dynamo lost their playoffs series 3-0. As for watching him play I have never seen him play a full game but I have seen over 40 clips and highlights and read almost evry article written about him in either English or Russian. Enough for you?

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Here is his talent analysis from Russianprospects.com:

Skating: A superb skater with excellent acceleration and top speed...has the ability to quickly accelerate to top speed...maintains a fast tempo throughout the game...very hard to knock down with the puck...skates well through traffic.
Shot: Possesses a strong, precise wrist shot...the release on the wrist shot is very quick and deceiving: he appears to shoot the puck low, but manages to wrist it to just underneath the cross bar...possesses a great, precise backhand...though not used as often, his slap shot is very strong, with a quick release...primarily uses the slap shot on the junior squad, when he comes out as the fourth forward during the power play.
Technical Ability: A terrific puck handler...possesses great hand to eye coordination...very soft hands Pass: Makes very precise passes, right on the stick...sees the ice very well and makes excellent passes...in junior competition, tends to skate on the net, taking two or three players with him, and then passing the puck off to the side to a wide open teammate.
Hockey Sense: An already very mature player...terrific vision of the ice...great awareness of where his teammates are at all times.
Defensive Play: Ovechkin can be responsible defensively, however, defensive lapses do occur as a result of his primarily offense-minded approach...skates well backwards and uses his amazing acceleration to get back into the zone, but is usually also the first player out of the defensive zone on the offensive rush...has been more responsible defensively while playing for Super League’s Dynamo Moscow and the senior national team, thàn while with the U18 or U20 national teams.
Physical Play: At 6’3, Ovechkin is a physical power forward who has had to deal with being double teamed on the junior level for the past three seasons...solidly built and can take many hits without losing the puck...fights very well at the boards...though not known for hitting, can deliver strong hits at the boards and by the opponent’s crease.

I would add that his wrist shot is not merely decieving. It's downright wicked. :)

st_roland

Foppa_Rules said:
Here is his talent analysis from Russianprospects.com:

Skating: A superb skater with excellent acceleration and top speed...has the ability to quickly accelerate to top speed...maintains a fast tempo throughout the game...very hard to knock down with the puck...skates well through traffic.
Shot: Possesses a strong, precise wrist shot...the release on the wrist shot is very quick and deceiving: he appears to shoot the puck low, but manages to wrist it to just underneath the cross bar...possesses a great, precise backhand...though not used as often, his slap shot is very strong, with a quick release...primarily uses the slap shot on the junior squad, when he comes out as the fourth forward during the power play.
Technical Ability: A terrific puck handler...possesses great hand to eye coordination...very soft hands Pass: Makes very precise passes, right on the stick...sees the ice very well and makes excellent passes...in junior competition, tends to skate on the net, taking two or three players with him, and then passing the puck off to the side to a wide open teammate.
Hockey Sense: An already very mature player...terrific vision of the ice...great awareness of where his teammates are at all times.
Defensive Play: Ovechkin can be responsible defensively, however, defensive lapses do occur as a result of his primarily offense-minded approach...skates well backwards and uses his amazing acceleration to get back into the zone, but is usually also the first player out of the defensive zone on the offensive rush...has been more responsible defensively while playing for Super League’s Dynamo Moscow and the senior national team, thàn while with the U18 or U20 national teams.
Physical Play: At 6’3, Ovechkin is a physical power forward who has had to deal with being double teamed on the junior level for the past three seasons...solidly built and can take many hits without losing the puck...fights very well at the boards...though not known for hitting, can deliver strong hits at the boards and by the opponent’s crease.

I would add that his wrist shot is not merely decieving. It's downright wicked. :)

*is praying that the capitals lose the rest of their games* Gosh it would be AWESOME to get a kid like that in DC.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
st_roland said:
*is praying that the capitals lose the rest of their games* Gosh it would be AWESOME to get a kid like that in DC.

I wonder if the Pens are capable of ignoring all the negative, hysterical press they've been getting since they've started winning?

That matinee game vs. the Pens to finish the season could very well decide who takes Ovechkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad