Russian Prospects Devalued

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003
link

As many as 20 Russian players may potentially remain in Russia this year, including Ovechkin.

Mark Gandler, the agent from Hell who represents many Russian players is already posturing that many Russian players will continue to stay in Russia because of the pay there due to the improving Russian economy. Of course this is a great negotiating gambit for his benefit.

Middling Russian players and star youngsters like Semin and Ovechkin will very likely make more money in Russia. So, why not stay close to home and enjoy a great lifestyle.

I don't think any of this is any new news to us; however, my question from this is:

"In this and future draft years will NHL teams devalue the Russian players in the draft because of the decreased liklihod they will play in the NHL? In effect, good Russian prospect will be seldom drafted in the early rounds and are stacked into the late rounds where there is less to lose if the player never comes over?"

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003
Ryderama said:
Hasn't Ovechkin confirmed today that he would come to the NHL???
I thought he was not deciding until tomorrow. The Point is that it is even an option for him, Semin etc.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
wasting time said:
I thought he was not deciding until tomorrow. The Point is that it is even an option for him, Semin etc.

He decided today. He's coming over. I don't really buy into it. The rookie salary applies to all entry-level players does it not? They stand to earn significantly more if they succeed beyond their early years in the NHL.

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003
EroCaps said:
He decided today. He's coming over. I don't really buy into it. The rookie salary applies to all entry-level players does it not? They stand to earn significantly more if they succeed beyond their early years in the NHL.

Ovechkin considered it. Semin and others still are; Malkin may in a year or 2. They may choose to stay an extra year or two in Russia. But these are the potential superstars.

There are a lot of potential Russian late first rounders, second rounders and third rounders that NHL teams may not risk taking because of the increased risk of getting into a bidding war with Russian teams under increasing pressure to "repatriatise" their Nationals. As Gandler said, the NHL has never seen competition like this before from Europe. Probably the last time they ever really had any competition was from the WHL.

This will be a Russian phenomena because only the Russian teams will be able to pay this kind of money.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
wasting time said:
Ovechkin considered it. Semin and others still are; Malkin may in a year or 2. They may choose to stay an extra year or two in Russia. But these are the potential superstars.

There are a lot of potential Russian late first rounders, second rounders and third rounders that NHL teams may not risk taking because of the increased risk of getting into a bidding war with Russian teams under increasing pressure to "repatriatise" their Nationals. As Gandler said, the NHL has never seen competition like this before from Europe. Probably the last time they ever really had any competition was from the WHL.

This will be a Russian phenomena because only the Russian teams will be able to pay this kind of money.

Semin is already under contract with the Caps. He's one of like 3 guys pegged for the Caps. :D

Roger's Pancreas*

Hedberg16 said:
I doubt many Russians are selected in the later rounds now but Russian Stars will still come to the NHL.

What he said.

The players who know they have talent enough to strike it rich in the NHL will come over but you'll see alot more of the Alexander Drozdetskys.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yeah cuz we'll always get the straight dope from the agents... :shakehead

i wish people would stop writing articles based on what some sports agents say. all it ends up being is some way for the agent to try to pump up the value of his clients.

as for russians...I hear Tyutin and Kondratiev left their Russian teams and are coming back over to play in the NHL next year. Good news for the Rangers...I think those are the only two Russian players they have.

Course we did lose Rachunek to the Russian leagues...

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003
Levitate said:
yeah cuz we'll always get the straight dope from the agents... :shakehead

i wish people would stop writing articles based on what some sports agents say. all it ends up being is some way for the agent to try to pump up the value of his clients.

as for russians...I hear Tyutin and Kondratiev left their Russian teams and are coming back over to play in the NHL next year. Good news for the Rangers...I think those are the only two Russian players they have.

Course we did lose Rachunek to the Russian leagues...
Hey, it is not only Gandler saying this. A lot of people are saying this. It just makes sense. My speculation is whether or not it will cause any NHL teams to pause before drafting a certain Russian player over any other nationality. I have to believe that it is possible. Russian players are going to have a more likely chance to CHOOSE to stay in Europe. Therefore, the theory goes, their value should be less.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
wasting time said:

The Russian phenomena will be temporary thing for a few years only. Revenues in Russia aren't that great and the only way for teams to pay decent salaries is for the owners to spend money on the team. That works short term, but long term it never really succeeds. That plus the fact that accomodations, luxury, training facilities and medical staff is ten times superior in the NHL than in the Russian league.

Edit: As well, the main reason why drafting europeans will be devalued is the new rule that you have to sign them within two years and that overagers can now be signed as free agents.

Last edited:

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003
Smail said:
The Russian phenomena will be temporary thing for a few years only. Revenues in Russia aren't that great and the only way for teams to pay decent salaries is for the owners to spend money on the team. That works short term, but long term it never really succeeds. That plus the fact that accomodations, luxury, training facilities and medical staff is ten times superior in the NHL than in the Russian league.

Edit: As well, the main reason why drafting europeans will be devalued is the new rule that you have to sign them within two years and that overagers can now be signed as free agents.

Yes, facilities, medical staff, hotels etc. all weigh against the RSL for sure. The new European rule will certainly change the dynamic of the draft for sure. you will see many more North American kids being drafted than ever before.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I can't even believe that people are still saying that Russian prospects will be staying home. Frankly for ALL levels of russian prospect, the NHL pays more. 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st liners all will be paid a lot more in the NHL. The minimum salary is 450, 000 US!!! how many 4th liners make that in the RSL? There are a few, very few highly paid players in the RSL (above the 3 million mark) and that is the high end players. Every team in the NHL can afford at least one 6+million player under the new cap. And also the sooner they get to the NHL, the sooner they will be UFA (25 for any 18 year olds making the team) That means these kids will be able to chase up to 7+ million in the NHL if they are worth it at the tender age of 25. The RSL can't even come close to doing stuff like that.

Except maybe that one team owned by that billionare oil guy that owns Chelsea.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
No this year, Russian talent is simply awful! Does it really surprise people, all countries go through a dry spell! I don't see 1 Russian player that I'd take in the first round!

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
While this issue isn't a new one, Gandler's comments should be taken with a grain of salt. Think of it this way...considering he represents so many Russian players, it is entirely in his best interest to play up the threat of staying in Russia. It's good leverage for him as an agent.

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003
s7ark said:
I can't even believe that people are still saying that Russian prospects will be staying home. Frankly for ALL levels of russian prospect, the NHL pays more. 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st liners all will be paid a lot more in the NHL. The minimum salary is 450, 000 US!!! how many 4th liners make that in the RSL? There are a few, very few highly paid players in the RSL (above the 3 million mark) and that is the high end players. Every team in the NHL can afford at least one 6+million player under the new cap. And also the sooner they get to the NHL, the sooner they will be UFA (25 for any 18 year olds making the team) That means these kids will be able to chase up to 7+ million in the NHL if they are worth it at the tender age of 25. The RSL can't even come close to doing stuff like that.

Except maybe that one team owned by that billionare oil guy that owns Chelsea.

I am hearing an awful lot of talk that this will be a reality. The Tverdosky's, Antropov's, Andrei Markov, Arkhipov, Moroszov - type of player may find a better financial windfall in Russia with much lower taxes, and stay home, if their family wants to.

The younger guys who are not going to jump right into the NHL, may just stay as stars in the RSL rather than struggle through the AHL etc.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
wasting time said:
I am hearing an awful lot of talk that this will be a reality. The Tverdosky's, Antropov's, Andrei Markov, Arkhipov, Moroszov - type of player may find a better financial windfall in Russia with much lower taxes, and stay home, if their family wants to.

The younger guys who are not going to jump right into the NHL, may just stay as stars in the RSL rather than struggle through the AHL etc.

How many of these guys are we really going to miss though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->