Rumor: Russian players in Ottawa Senators, is it real?

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Those are interesting for sure but fact of the matter is that if thy don't draft a Russian this year it will make 10 years since the last Russian was drafted by us.

I see what you mean, but its important to keep in mind that there are only 31 Russians in the NHL right now. Most of them were a) high picks or b) guys who came over after a long stint in Russia.

The few exceptions to that rule:

Andrei Markov, Alexei Emelin, Nikita Nesterov, Anton Khudobin, Alexey Marchenko, Sergei Bobrovsky, Anton Slepyshev

Everyone else was either a) a top 60 pick (with a large chunk being top 20 picks) or b) UFA signings

So, drafting a Russia is still analytically very risky; simply put, most Russian guys won't play bottom 6 in the NHL. It's almost like every pick you're making is top 6 - or top line - or bust. I think we would draft a Russian who we thought could be a top line player, but its a huge risk to draft a guy who s equivalent, say, to Gabriel Gagne that is from Russia.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
:) Ahh the infamous alexei kaigorodov. 9 GP, 1G, 2A it says? He's no Larionov. Im thinking there's many better players than him who think they didnt get a fair shot at the nhl. Some of them went to the AHL and proved they were right.

Kaygorodov played wel in KHL l until 2014.
Now it is not as good as before

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Well, we tried to trade up for Sergachev.

I think Russians playing in the CHL are the only ones we'd draft, unless it's another Ovechkin/Malkin case.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
its important to keep in mind that there are only 31 Russians in the NHL right now.
Wow!!!! That’s why the team needed extra players for the WCoH???? :amazed:

Guessing the KHL took most of the Russian talent with them!

They didn't pass on Tarasenko because he was Russian. That was just a stupid HF theory. There was an overall belief at the time that Russians were a risk to not come over but that was felt by all GMs

So it’s not an HF theory, is it? The risk was real.

Last edited:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I love Turris but yeah I wasn't too happy that we didn't draft Tarasenko when we had the chance. Blatantly refusing to draft a Russian is about as stupid and lazy a strategy there is.

They didn't pass on Tarasenko because he was Russian. That was just a stupid HF theory. There was an overall belief at the time that Russians were a risk to not come over but that was felt by all GMs

The actual story is that the Sens had their heart on Jaden Schwartz but had the deal with St. Louis on the table before the draft for Rundblad. Once Schwartz was gone, the Sens had Rundblad ranked higher than any prospect.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
19.jpg

Holy do I miss that jersey. Does someone have an in at the Sens merchandising or marketing dept? We need to retire this crap 3D Sen at the end of the season.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
As long as it's not just picking a player due to the place they are born, (Islanders 2015....) have at er'. Pick the best players.

I don't care where players are from at all. However I think our tendacy to draft Swedes may be due to reliable scouting there. I do think it is good to trust our scouts with the best track record, but that we should also invest more in scouting other countries.

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
The senators certainly won't draft any Russians. That being said Volchenkov was loved here by the fan base and Gonchar was appreciated.

Not true, Senators have targeted Svechnikov and Burmistrov recently, along with trading for Filatov. The issue is drafting out of Russia, however the three they had showed a willingness to play in NA.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Not true, Senators have targeted Svechnikov and Burmistrov recently, along with trading for Filatov. The issue is drafting out of Russia, however the three they had showed a willingness to play in NA.

How is it not true? They have not drafted a Russian in 9 straight drafts. I take the point that there are few Russians in the NHL made above, but the proof is in the pudding. When there are Russian guys, particularly those still in Russia, on the board who are worthy of the sens pick the sens seem to prefer similar prospects from elsewhere.

Counter arguments based on rumours about the sens "liking" someone don't prove anything, particularly in cases where we could have taken those players and chose to pass. (Not saying we passed on Svechnikov because he is Russian, just that this clearly isn't evidence ottawa would draft a Russian)

Burmistrov is also a different situation as IIRC when those rumours surfaced he was already in the NHL. Same with Filatov.

You guys can have your opinions, I see it as true until it isn't anymore.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Holy do I miss that jersey. Does someone have an in at the Sens merchandising or marketing dept? We need to retire this crap 3D Sen at the end of the season.

I know. Those jerseys actually had a cool factor about them they were badass. I know the more graphic design people scrutinize the logo but when to comes down to it, it was a badass logo and design. I think if I wear a Sens jersey again for games and whatnot I'm going back to my black Tugnutt, timeless.

Our jerseys now are very kiddie, excluding the third.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

Yeah if you look into the history they've had issues with this. I remember one guy we drafted his brother wasn't good enough so he stayed in Russia not wanting to separate from him. There's a lot of factors that go into choices and just things they've experienced.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I love Turris but yeah I wasn't too happy that we didn't draft Tarasenko when we had the chance. Blatantly refusing to draft a Russian is about as stupid and lazy a strategy there is.

Not what happened in the real world.

Sens traded the 16th Overall to the Blues for David Rundblad, who then became a top prospect that the Sens used to trade for Kyle Turris, who was the 3rd Overall pick just 3 years before in 2007.

So basically, the Sens traded the 16th OA pick in 2010 and a 2nd round pick in 2012 to "move up" and grab the 3rd OA in 2007

As for the "blatantly refusing to draft a Russian strategy", it was NOT a strategy, just that Tarasenko was a high flight risk (possible career in Russia was the talk), so 15 teams PASSED on him as well, not just the Sens

Also the simple fact that his potential was far from guaranteed. If teams knew how good every player will become, then you'd never see Karlsson at 15, Subban at 43, Alfredsson, etc.

So when will we change old inaccurate discs and use a reality one instead? Maybe I am dreaming...

The Russians think that the owner of the Ottawa Senators hates Russian people

I don't think they're that stupid. They would know about Alexei Kovalev, Sergei Gonchar, Nikita Filatov and Anton Volchenkov who played for the team not long ago...

Also, the team drafted a ton of Russians who didn't develop or never came over when they did, and that's EXACTLY why the team had to rebuild : 2002 to 2007 drafts SUCKED too much for a small market team who need to make good draft picks to stay competitive

Stick to reality people. Please

I see what you mean, but its important to keep in mind that there are only 31 Russians in the NHL right now.

This. Super important fact if you want to understand the situation (with the rest of what you said)

Last edited:

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Phillips - Volchenkov is still may favourite pairing in Sens history I think. Two otherwise unspectacular players who for a brief but wonderful time combined to provide maybe the sturdiest defence we've ever had.

What a warrior the A-Train was.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I see what you mean, but its important to keep in mind that there are only 31 Russians in the NHL right now. Most of them were a) high picks or b) guys who came over after a long stint in Russia.

The few exceptions to that rule:

Andrei Markov, Alexei Emelin, Nikita Nesterov, Anton Khudobin, Alexey Marchenko, Sergei Bobrovsky, Anton Slepyshev

Everyone else was either a) a top 60 pick (with a large chunk being top 20 picks) or b) UFA signings

So, drafting a Russia is still analytically very risky; simply put, most Russian guys won't play bottom 6 in the NHL. It's almost like every pick you're making is top 6 - or top line - or bust. I think we would draft a Russian who we thought could be a top line player, but its a huge risk to draft a guy who s equivalent, say, to Gabriel Gagne that is from Russia.

And we have had very few high picks + we're not exactly a top FA destination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->