Russian Coaching Staff's

dylan

Nov 30, 2005
ontario
what is wrong with these guys? watching world championships, jr championships and olympics i recall always scratching my head on some of the decisions these guys make. todays game is what inspired me to make this thread. making ovechkin and malkin sit most of the end of the 3rd and giving them limited ice time in OT just boggles my mind. every time that line was out there in OT ovechkin came inches from scoring. i don't know if the guys behind the bench really have a grudge with nhl players and think the RSL'ers are gods gift to hockey or what but it is making them look really stupid. nothing against the RSL players but times like that is when you throw out the big guns. especialy in a QF game.

Icekube

Feb 22, 2006
Richmond VA
Krikunov believes in rolling 4 lines no matter what, with the only exception of PK. Apparently every other coach in the world is doing it all wrong!

Coffee and 7's*

Icekube said:
Krikunov believes in rolling 4 lines no matter what, with the only exception of PK. Apparently every other coach in the world is doing it all wrong!

So does the Swedish coach, it worked in the Olympics pretty well for them didn't it? I don't think the problem is there.

Coffee and 7's*

Vikke said:
Well, the Swedish team in the Olympics was far more balanced than the Russian team in the WC's.

Yeah, I mean Hannula is definetly in the same leauge as Forsberg.

Icekube

Feb 22, 2006
Richmond VA
Vikke said:
Well, the Swedish team in the Olympics was far more balanced than the Russian team in the WC's.

Exactly. When you top line is so loaded compared to the other lines, and when some of the other lines are prone to make a mistake it makes little sense for them to equally share icetime.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Krikunov's coaching consists of knowing how to use a stopwatch for line changes and insult players in the media. That is it.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Slitty said:
Krikunov's coaching consists of knowing how to use a stopwatch for line changes and insult players in the media. That is it.

yup, that's pretty much it... and YAAAY to the RSL rewarding philosphy! :shakehead I'm tierd of all this crap..

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
I don't know if this guy is an average example of a coach in RSL, but he is horrible. Rolling four lines all game, including in a ten minute overtime? Was there even a true number one PP unit or did he just put out whoever was next in the rotation? Does he even consider match ups? Did he have a game plan at all? Does he even look at game film?

Considering that they are coached by people like this, it makes me wonder how Russia is able to produce the number of talented players they do.

Russia should seriously consider bringing in a foreign coach to work with a couple Russian assistant coaches. It has worked for other federations and could help bring Russia back up to the top where they should be.

Other nations might do well from time to time, but Russia and Canada are the two greatest hockey nations in the world and it is a shame that poor leadership in the Russian federation has led to the hockey world not being able to see them play in championship games more often.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Nash said:
Other nations might do well from time to time, but Russia and Canada are the two greatest hockey nations in the world and it is a shame that poor leadership in the Russian federation has led to the hockey world not being able to see them play in championship games more often.

I wish they'd stop arguing with Igor Larionov and let him either be coach or GM.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Slitty said:

Krikunov is a dinosaur.He has no conception of the innovations in coaching techniques over the last decade .He follows the textbook c.1960 & sticks to it no matter what. Thank goodness he & Steblin are gone.

He was the original canker in the apple.You only had to look at the specatators faces to realise they were all thinking the same thing why no AO EM when required.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Nash said:
I don't know if this guy is an average example of a coach in RSL, but he is horrible. Rolling four lines all game, including in a ten minute overtime? Was there even a true number one PP unit or did he just put out whoever was next in the rotation? Does he even consider match ups? Did he have a game plan at all? Does he even look at game film?

Unlike the Olympics where he tended to use everyone on the powerplay including Kasparitis, Danny Markov, Vishnevski, Zhukov instead of Gonchar, Andrei Markov, Tyutin..... he actually moved Sushinsky to the Malkin-Ovechkin line for powerplays and played the Semin-Arkhipov-Mikhnov line as the second unit. Progress!

Matchups are not considered, proabably a very general gameplan, and yes video of other teams is watched before important games.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
Well, Vorobjovs saved the Latvian national team from falling out of A group, I guess. So there are some good russian coaches out there.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I think everything needs to be changed. Although Tretiak is too Soviet accomplishment proud to probably bring in a foreign coach. However, Tuzik needs to go as general manager. Larionov is a smart guy, he has no coaching experience, so I would want him to take on the duties of a General Manager and assistant coach until he can fully take over. Although Fetisov did okay his first time behind the bench.

Icekube

Feb 22, 2006
Richmond VA
Krikunov seems to be a decent guy, and I don't like the personal attacks on him through the media. I just think he is outdated. Seems like he cannot handle NHL players, or he would have more of them on this team. Ovechkin is still young so he is managable. The culture gap between Russia an NA is huge, players change when they get to NHL. A coach with NHL experience would be ideal, but there are none available.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Icekube said:
The culture gap between Russia an NA is huge, players change when they get to NHL. A coach with NHL experience would be ideal, but there are none available.

They change not for the better. I thought that Kovalev's rap after the games was outrageous. You didn't do zip in the last to games, so shut up and blame yourself, but no he had to go public

Icekube

Feb 22, 2006
Richmond VA
Capitalism Corrupts Character of People (CCCP) :D

Kovalev was not alone in going public, and that goes to show the disconnect between Krik and the players. A guy like Hanlon doesn't even speak the same language with Belarussian team, yet they don't have any controversy going. NA culture is much better in dealing with people without alienating them, that is something we could learn.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Den said:
Ahh, an overtime loss and "everything needs to be changed"

Not because of one single overtime loss... but because of the past 13 years of lack of success. Nagano was an achievement, but even there we underachieved should have won.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Den said:
They change not for the better. I thought that Kovalev's rap after the games was outrageous. You didn't do zip in the last to games, so shut up and blame yourself, but no he had to go public

Well I think that the only reason Kovalev made a big fuss is beacuse he wanted to win and thought Kirkunov's tactics and manner made that impossible. Then again, there is a sense of some NHLers being full of themselves. However, that doesn't make Krikunov any less of a moron. He might not be the worst coach in the world, but no respectable national team coach burns his players and ensures they dont play for him again except for Russian coaches like Krikunov.

Hell, remember when Slava Fetisov coached in Nagano? That was a TEAM with the right atmosphere even if Fetisov wasn't the best coach in terms of strategy and experience.

I still remember Pavel Bure being asked how he felt about playing with his brother and replying that he didn't have one brother on this team, he had 22.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Fetisov's achievment at OG=Krik's achievment at OG. Belarus doesn't count. What's so hot about Fetisov's coaching looking at the way his team played the semi?

Kovalev began questioning the RSLers right away, and I think this is the core of the matter: no way a taratukhin or even a sushinsky can be favored over an NHL super AK-27. As opposed to 2002: everybody but Podomatsky, where NHLers, each other equals, the status quo is upheld and we are cool.

Many Russian NHLers are full of themselves as you put it: Zuby, Khaby, little Bure, S. Kozlov, Mogilny, Fedy, Samsonov... Kovalev seems to be joining the camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->