Russian coaching change [official]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
From what I've been reading here all week, everyone seems to think that Tikhonov will be Russia's coach at the World Cup and that it's the reason why Russian NHLers won't accept to play for their country.

So I need to make one thing clear :

The president of the Russian Hockey Federation, Alexander Steblin, announced late last week that Tikhonov would not coach Russia anymore, be it at the World Cup or any other international competition. The federation is already looking for someone to replace him, and the top candidate is (unfortunately) Boris Mikhailov, who should be backed up by a couple of head coaches from the Superleague.

If you're looking for a link (in Russian) go to http://www.Gazeta.ru, and do a search in the hockey directory.
I'm not making this up people, don't worry.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Mikhailov instead of Tikhonov.. Good to see that the russians aren't out of fresh new ideas.

I hope they give Larionov the chance after Mikhailovs next failure.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
go kim johnsson said:
Slava Fetisov?????

Well he's busy being sports minister of Russia and all. And I don't think he has much power over their hockey federation, since they picked Tikhonov to lead the team this year. (Supposedly Fetisov, Krutov, Larionov and Makarov all hate Tikhonov)

Telperiën

Nov 1, 2003
Galaxy Far Far Away
Good that Tikhonov is gone. It's not the 70's, 80's anymore... he needs to show some more respect towards players. Punching Mogilny, taking Khabibulin's medal, threatening Fedorov, no wonder they won't play for him!

As for Steblin... getting rid of Tikhonov doesn't clear the record, as far as I'm concerned, he's still got chopsticks stuck up his ***.

One more thing, what about Fetisov? I believe he coached in Salt Lake 2002.

Edit: Oops, someone above just answered my Fetisov question. Nvmd.

brian

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Does anyone know why Vladimir Yurzinov is not being considered to coach Russia? He is one Russian coach who is respected by Russian NHLers. I believe they picked him for the Olympic team in 98 and they won the silver medal as a result.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Rumours in Sweden was talking about Latvias Curre Lindström as a hot candidate to take over team Russia..

russianrocket24

As long Steblin stays president of the Russian Hockey Federation there won't be a foreign coach be in charge for the National Team. I liked Larionov's idea to bring Larry Robinson in, but unfortunately Steblin denied. The best for Russian Hockey would be to get rid of Steblin and his fellows on top of the federation.

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
Well Tihonov is past his time,but to me players all equally guilty...Where was tihonov in all previous championships...?It is a fact that Russian generation that played their junior hockey still under CCCP with few exceptions doesnt care about team and they have some sort of grundge against everything...
DOnt mention olympics,sure they got medals but chemistry was bad,no PP...
Sure they gone through hard time ,but all that hard times gave them oportunity to play in NHL and earn big bucks..But they seem to turn only on negative side of past and cant go beyond it(larionov).
I hope new generation wont be like that...
AS for coach russians need a little more strong persona...BOwman charachter would be perfect for Russians...

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
ZBORNAJA said:
Well Tihonov is past his time,but to me players all equally guilty...Where was tihonov in all previous championships...?It is a fact that Russian generation that played their junior hockey still under CCCP with few exceptions doesnt care about team and they have some sort of grundge against everything...
DOnt mention olympics,sure they got medals but chemistry was bad,no PP...
Sure they gone through hard time ,but all that hard times gave them oportunity to play in NHL and earn big bucks..But they seem to turn only on negative side of past and cant go beyond it(larionov).
I hope new generation wont be like that...
AS for coach russians need a little more strong persona...BOwman charachter would be perfect for Russians...

No chemistry? Are you kidding me? Did you see for example the first game vs the US? Or the 3rd period vs the US in the semi final?
The only reason they didn't win was because they slept half of the games in Salt Lake. All the other things you say is just ********.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
russianrocket24 said:
As long Steblin stays president of the Russian Hockey Federation there won't be a foreign coach be in charge for the National Team. I liked Larionov's idea to bring Larry Robinson in, but unfortunately Steblin denied. The best for Russian Hockey would be to get rid of Steblin and his fellows on top of the federation.

I was also so excited about Robinson leading the team ... unfortunately the Federation is full of idiots like Steblin and we'll have to wait until they all die in 20 years to see some new, fresh people. :banana:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
wilka91 said:
No chemistry? Are you kidding me? Did you see for example the first game vs the US? Or the 3rd period vs the US in the semi final?
The only reason they didn't win was because they slept half of the games in Salt Lake. All the other things you say is just ********.

Pretty arrogant if you ask me. Russia lost because they were the inferior team, plain and simple.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Pretty arrogant if you ask me. Russia lost because they were the inferior team, plain and simple.

Nope, nope, they really dominated when they put their minds to it, theres no reason to deny it :dunno: Usa won because they wanted it more, plain and simple.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Habsaku said:
Nope, nope, they really dominated when they put their minds to it, theres no reason to deny it :dunno: Usa won because they wanted it more, plain and simple.

Okay, for two periods in the entire tournament they dominated.

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:

I am rooting for US since couple of years ago...but you can't say Russian team was by any means inferior to US. They were sleeping through the first 2 periods and when they woke up it was too late. They still almost tied a game.

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
Well we must have watched different olympics...Sorry i love the russian team but since 1993 only nagano team showed some decent play(nothing to write about but decent for the team ) and team under mihailov with RSL players (with ton of luck also and very defensive boring hockey,but gold medal game they play very decent)

In SLC they win belarus(duh!) then played decent game with USA with fair tie,then they lost against finland!!
In quaterfinals they were heavily outplayed by czech...I watched that game and i remeber clearly they should lost...but They had Nikolai in net and he was incredible...
In semifinals they were just horribly outplayed by USA ,and only a short run in third where the americans probably took it easy doesnt mean nothing to me...They win belarus again(duh!)
PP was crap,and i hadnt see any action that would make me say WOOOA WHAT A GREAT TEAM PLAY...SOme nice individual moves.but that is it...THe only guy that played quite ok was Fedorov...Most of others were invisible...

And this is from the guy that will always cheer for Russia no mather what...But please lets be objective...What Russia lacks since 1993 is TEam play(system) and heart...
Maybe a new coach or time will bring a system but will the player bring hearts ?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
To be honest I was really unimpressed by the Russians at Nagano ... they sort of played average the whole time but managed to make it to the final, I don't know how.

But in 2002 they had some pretty decent chemistry, but were sleeping half the time.

- Example 1 : game against Finland. They outshoot the Finns 11-2, lead 1-0 and hit 2 posts. The next 2 periods they just skate around without purpose.
- Example 2 : semifinal against USA. The first 2 periods the Russians just skate while the Americans crash the net, and get 2 dirty hard working goals, and a clear goal by Housley. Then in the 3rd a new team steps on the ice, outplays the Americans in every department ... until that penalty around the 8th minute when the Russians spend the whole 2 minutes in the zone and Samsonov failed to lift the puck over Richter's glove.
- Example 3 : first game vs USA. The Russians clearly outplay the Americans, and when finally they get the lead 2-1 they go to sleep and wait until the US ties the score.

Well it's only my opinion but I watched all those game a bunch of times now. Actually I taped all the games from Salt Lake :D

But I agree about Fedorov. He gave 100% the whole tournament, but the rest of the team ... slept.

Last edited:

Alfons

May 3, 2004
Anyone who remembers the Canada-Russia game in world cup 1996?

I´ve seen it a few times and i think this was the last time I´ve seen russia play real good hockey, almost like the soviet union. Unfortunately the reffing (terry gregson) was horrible :banghead: and Canada won 5-3 but the game was so good, especially russia played well.

There was beautiful goals, fighting, intensity, etc etc.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
BruinsGirl said:
I am rooting for US since couple of years ago...but you can't say Russian team was by any means inferior to US. They were sleeping through the first 2 periods and when they woke up it was too late. They still almost tied a game.

I can say they were inferior, because they lost. Work ethic and perseverence is a huge part of a team's success, and Russia just didn't have it in SLC.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I can say they were inferior, because they lost. Work ethic and perseverence is a huge part of a team's success, and Russia just didn't have it in SLC.
But please don't forget to mention that the Olympics were played in the US.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
wilka91 said:
But in 2002 they had some pretty decent chemistry, but were sleeping half the time.

- Example 1 : game against Finland. They outshoot the Finns 11-2, lead 1-0 and hit 2 posts. The next 2 periods they just skate around without purpose.

Couldn't you also say that Finland were sleeping in the first period but started playing in the last 2?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Jussi said:
Couldn't you also say that Finland were sleeping in the first period but started playing in the last 2?

I've already thought about it, but when you watch the game, nothing is more obvious than the Russians' laziness. Another argument is that it happened in every game involving the Russians, at some point they start sleeping ... something I hadn't noticed in other games.

Well of course my opinion is biased since I'm watching my favorite team, but I've really tried watching it like I watch a Sweden-Czech Republic game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->