Russia vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladNYC*

Russia all the way!

On a side note i would like to thank all the Canadian fans for cheering the Russians. Reguardless of the reason, it was nice to have the support, it's def one of the reasons the game was as crazy as it was. It was amazing to see the US get booed and Russia get cheered. Like pay back for decades of Russian teams geting booed. I don't know about you but I am really looking forward to the Canada - Russia game.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Russia.......probably easily.........though I hope Downie does well...

Go Russia!!!

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Den said:
I don't know, haven't seen Pogge much..

I think I'm pretty fair when it comes to assessing goalies, and I honestly believe Pogge is the best Canadian goalie since MA Fleury. And that's not counting MA Fleury's second year. Pogge is much more consistent and solid than he was that year.

I don't know how Pogge fell so far in the draft but clearly he is a late bloomer. He isn't better overall than Lehtonen or Fleury (Kari has a big edge in size and a marginal edge in athleticism and Marc-Andre has a really big edge on him athletically) but technically, Pogge is as good as anyone since Luongo.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Le Golie said:
I think I'm pretty fair when it comes to assessing goalies, and I honestly believe Pogge is the best Canadian goalie since MA Fleury. And that's not counting MA Fleury's second year. Pogge is much more consistent and solid than he was that year.

I don't know how Pogge fell so far in the draft but clearly he is a late bloomer. He isn't better overall than Lehtonen or Fleury (Kari has a big edge in size and a marginal edge in athleticism and Marc-Andre has a really big edge on him athletically) but technically, Pogge is as agood as anyone since Luongo.

But I what's your gripe with Khudobin's mental strength? Hasn't he proved himself already?

VladNYC*

Den said:
VladNyc, where in Moldova are you from? I grew up in Tiraspol, my parents are still there...

City of Kishinev (Not Chisinau :madfire: ), Rayon Botanika, Oolitsa Belskiva

:)

All 17 of my family members left in 1990.

Ive been to Tiraspol a few times as a kid back in 89. Nice place.

Nice to see a fellow Mamalijnik :)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Metallian said:
you're pushing it dude

And you are taking things out of context.

I said that in terms of technical goaltending, Pogge is as good a anyone since Luongo. Positionally, nobody has been better than Pogge since '99.

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
Le Golie said:
Pogge is as good as anyone since Luongo.

Woah, easy on the Pierre McGuire Kool-Aid. I like Pogge as much as the next guy but he has not done for Canada the same thing that Luongo did in 99. He was a monster.. singlehandedly was the reason we won silver.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
VladNYC said:
City of Kishinev (Not Chisinau :madfire: ), Rayon Botanika, Oolitsa Belskiva

In fact Kishinev looks much better these days with cafes and parks. That is if you don't steer off the main street ;)

All 17 of my family members left in 1990.

Wow, and so did you, I take?

Ive been to Tiraspol a few times as a kid back in 89. Nice place.

Well, may be it was in 89, but now :eek:

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
Le Golie said:
And you are taking things out of context.

I said that in terms of technical goaltending, Pogge is as good a anyone since Luongo. Positionally, nobody has been better than Pogge since '99.

Sry, as did I take you out of context. Still Max Ouellet was a strong technical goaltender as was MA Fleury. Both I feel had stronger outings than Pogge, simply for the fact they were called on more than he has been.. chalk it it up a weak division I guess.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Den said:
But I what's your gripe with Khudobin's mental strength? Hasn't he proved himself already?

I've seen him live eight times. Granted, only four were really important games - but he folded like a cheap lawn chair three of those games. And the only other one (semi-final agaist the US last year) he wasn't tested.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Den said:
I just noticed that Emelin got a game misconduct. What the hell? Does this mean he is not playing???

Sounds like he will be able to play, but I'm still waiting to hear for an official word from the IIHF

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Ovechkin8 said:
Woah, easy on the Pierre McGuire Kool-Aid. I like Pogge as much as the next guy but he has not done for Canada the same thing that Luongo did in 99. He was a monster.. singlehandedly was the reason we won silver.

You are from Winnipeg buddy, I'm positive you were at the old barn when Simon Gagne spanked the Swedes 6-1 to advance to the final.... It wasn't all Luongo. ;)

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Le Golie said:
I've seen him live eight times. Granted, only four were really important games - but he folded like a cheap lawn chair three of those games. And the only other one (semi-final agaist the US last year) he wasn't tested.

Which means that today's game was not important?? Something does not add up. OK, I've seen him collapse only once in an important game, which we all know very well. What are the other two??

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Well, no one can call that prediction reasonable, but at least you're optimistic.

:shakehead

Nice reasoning. Cut your losses and hit the road. Trolling is not cool.

TheDynasty

Aug 8, 2005
Canada has been having the best performances out of their defensemen out of any team in the WJHC. I'm not saying talent-wise they are far and away the best (though you could argue that, as well as argue superior depth), but they have most definitely had the most guys playing at a high level game in and game out. I think if Canada continues to take the body hard, and they use big bodies (Bourdon, etc.) against Malkin, they may very well come away with a victory.

Sutter has this team playing absolutely perfectly on the defensive side of the puck. I would say this team is possibly more dominant defensively then even last years Team Canada. They have been nearly flawless (with the few mistakes they've made being covered up by timely goals, and Pogge).

Gonna be one heck of a hockey game.

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
Obviously there were playmakers on that team but really the team relied on Luongo. They were really weak on the back end. Sure they could put up offense but they in turn played crummy in their own zone. Luongo stood on his head that tournament and he kept us in that final game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->