Russia vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Metallian said:
Both goalies are hot right now and that's all that matters.

Pogge hasn't impressed me too much yet, but thats mostly cuz he gets no shots.

Still, though Canada has a better goalie as far as season stats go, both are good and I dont think either will let the flood gates open.

Pogge has let in 1 goal all tournament that he has seen. Khudobin backs up a 17 year old in the WHL. Stats aside, this isn't close.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I am not predicting who will win this game. However, I think both teams really have an equal chance at winning the game. Canada will have to be physical against the Russians and play great defence.

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
I don't know what made me vote Canada, but it was just a gut feeling. I think they are flying HIGH right now and I think they will pull it out.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Le Golie said:
Pogge has let in 1 goal all tournament that he has seen. Khudobin backs up a 17 year old in the WHL. Stats aside, this isn't close.
I bet that Pogge would be backup for RSL team farms ;) Different language, different country, hard to talk with defensemen, different school for goaltenders and it's hard for D-men to understand goalie who doesn't know words... Of course it's my thoughts only but it's close to reality, IMO.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Canada will take this one. It'll be tight through two periods then the Russians will implode :D

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As much as I'd like Canada to win, I haven't been impressed with their finishing ability.

Not being able to score on clear scoring chances is what has bothered me about this squad.

Unless Canada outshoots Russia by a large margin, and gets a few goals that way, or Pogge stands on his head, I can't see Canada winning this one.

Yureeka47*

Injektilo said:
Other than Malkin, what is the main difference between the Russian team that lost 8-1 to Canada and the current incarnation? Cause this Russian team doesn't seem too likely to lose like that....

That said, given the way the Russian played at the end of the the semifinal game, I hope we cream them.

I am Russian, and I think other Russian posters can agree to this... Russian people are LAZY. If the game doesn't matter, they definetely won't put their blood, sweat and tears into it.. Canadians on the other hand, always give 110%. This also explains why Russia always plays their best hockey near the end of the game, rather than at the beginning.. They procrastinate. This theory can go a long way explaining Russian politics and the economy too. In that exhibition game, Russians felt the penalties were completely idiotic (some of them were), and stopped playing. They just didn't care. Same thing happened a few years ago, Canada beat Russia 5 - 2 in the round robin, a pretty dominant game.. Russia came back and beat Canada for gold in a pretty one-sided contest.

Russians are some of the most talented people in the world, but they lack the drive to do anything with it, or even discover it.

Kramerica2

Aug 2, 2005
CT
Jozeph_Balej said:
And play clean if they lose :)

Hmmmm, what's this supposed to mean??? I'm guessing your blaming the Americans for the little scrums at the end of the game. Well, why don't you rewatch the game and you can see that the Russian players were getting penalities on the hits that they were giving the Americans, and then the US retaliated.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Injektilo said:
Other than Malkin, what is the main difference between the Russian team that lost 8-1 to Canada and the current incarnation? Cause this Russian team doesn't seem too likely to lose like that....

That said, given the way the Russian played at the end of the the semifinal game, I hope we cream them.

I didn't have a problem with the end of the game, both teams got a little overzealous with the fiestyness to the point of ridiculous, but hey, sometimes, thats hockey.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Epsilon said:
I was sure Russia was a weak team with Malkin there to prop them up, but it turns out they are actually pretty good. They are the biggest surprise of the tournament for me. I think the final could go either way.

Why? Because they don't get enough press? Seriously, there 10 or so players returning. All but three play with men in the RSL, and why would they be weak??? :dunno:

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
Den said:
Why? Because they don't get enough press? Seriously, there 10 or so players returning. All but three play with men in the RSL, and why would they be weak??? :dunno:

Yeah if anything he should be surprised that Canada actually made the finals, being heavy underdogs and all.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
NyQuil said:
Not being able to score on clear scoring chances is what has bothered me about this squad.

What are you talking about?

In the words of P-Mac himself: "REBOUNDS REBOUNDS REBOUNDS REBOUNDS REBOUNDS REBOUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! CANADA IS AMAZING ON REBOUNDS!!!!"

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
It all started with Shremp hitting a Russian player with his stick right after the refree called a penalty on him (Shremp).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Both Russia and the US were considered gold-medal favorites by Canadian media before the tournament started, with the US perhaps with a slight edge.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Kaizer said:
I bet that Pogge would be backup for RSL team farms ;) Different language, different country, hard to talk with defensemen, different school for goaltenders and it's hard for D-men to understand goalie who doesn't know words... Of course it's my thoughts only but it's close to reality, IMO.

You are a good poster here, but if you are saying that Khudobin is as capable as Pogge at stoping pucks then I have to call you on it.

Technically - not even close.
Mentally - not even close.
Athletically - slight advantage to Pogge.
Intangibles - slight advantage to Pogge.

If I'm a Russian fan I'd rather see the 16-year-old I saw playing for the Winnipeg Wild in the cold 200 seat arenas in southern Manitoba last year than Khudobin.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Metallian said:
What are you talking about?

In the words of P-Mac himself: "REBOUNDS REBOUNDS REBOUNDS REBOUNDS REBOUNDS REBOUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! CANADA IS AMAZING ON REBOUNDS!!!!"

I guess you forgot the first two periods where he mainly said:

"They've GOT to pounce on those 12 foot rebounds!"

"THERE's NO ONE in the slot to get on those 15 foot rebounds!"

etc. etc.

I'm glad Canada won, but they fart away more scoring chances than any other Canadian junior squad I've seen. They also create a lot of scoring chances with their work ethic, but their finish is lacking in my opinion.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Le Golie said:
I don't know, haven't seen Pogge much..

You are running wild here...

And I believe Kaizer's point was absolutely different... I mean, I have know doubt Pogge woud have hard time in RSL, Legace choked when he came over...

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Le Golie said:
You are a good poster here, but if you are saying that Khudobin is as capable as Pogge at stoping pucks then I have to call you on it.

Athletically - slight advantage to Pogge.
Intangibles - slight advantage to Pogge.

If I'm a Russian fan I'd rather see the 16-year-old I saw playing for the Winnipeg Wild in the cold 200 seat arenas in southern Manitoba last year than Khudobin.
Who knows, I haven't seen in WHL but from what I've seen at WJC I more than satisfied with Khudobin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->