Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2018

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I am having visions... of our blueliners getting severely outclassed... and I see myself pounding my shoe like Khruschev in complete agony.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I am having visions... of our blueliners getting severely outclassed... and I see myself pounding my shoe like Khruschev in complete agony.
Is your shoe as nuclear powered as Khruschev's? It could help... somehow.

Yep, our projected D looks like a sieve right now.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I doubt Abramov will play center. But it might make sense to pair him with Rubtsov, whereby Rubtsov plays the middle but Abramov takes most of the faceoffs.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
A bit of positive things, since the end of Can/Rus Series:

Berdin: saved 67 out of 72 in USHL
Melnichuk: saved 22 out of 25 in KHL and 86 out of 88 in VHL
Sukhachyov: saved 106 out of 111 in VHL

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I don't know if it's a great thing that Sukhachyov is outplaying Melnichuk.

I don't know if he is outplaying him and also if it would be good or bad, for me it is a three-way tie right now with everyone having their pros and cons:

Sukhachyov can carry the team on his shoulders when he is at his best and we might need it with our D, but the cons... well, we've seen it at the Can/Rus series.
Melnichuk is not that high-upside, but looks like he has better consistency: if he is good or bad it is for a pretty long time frame. The issue here is that he rarely plays behind a bad D.
Berdin is a big unknown, as he almost didn't play for NT, but I tend to like him now (I wasn't a fan of him back in the U18 project days).

So in short, I'd say my Nr.1 at the moment is Berdin, closely followed by others... but Sukhachyov as a remedy for our potentially awful D is pretty tempting.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Russian-based part of the camp roster has been announced. NA-based part will be announced later (waiting for Svechnikov I guess).

GK
Ilya Konovalov
Alexei Melnichuk
Vladislav Sukhachyov

D
Dmitriy Alexeyev
Grigoriy Dronov
Alexander Kalinin
Nikolai Knyzhov
Nikita Makeyev
Artyom Maltsev
Alexander Shepelev
Vladislav Syomin
Anatoliy Yelizarov
Yegor Zaitsev

FW
Andrei Altybarmakyan
Georgiy Ivanov
Artur Kayumov
Vitaliy Kravtsov
Mikhail Maltsev
Artyom Manukyan
Danila Moiseyev
Alexei Polodyan
Damir Rakhimullin
Maxim Rasseikin
Ivan Romanov
Pavel Shen
Marsel Sholokhov
Maxim Tsyplakov
Danil Veryayev
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

JayZIH

Nov 29, 2017
At first view, the Defense looks bad, i thought that Dronov and Y.Zaitsev were injured.
No Karpukhin, Yakovenko, Shvyryov and Slepets ??? Im surprised

JayZIH

Nov 29, 2017
How many Russian players playing in NA will be added ?
My guess is Kostin, Abramov, Rubtsov, Sokolov and Samorukov..
I hope A.Svechnikov will be back too

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
At first view, the Defense looks bad, i thought that Dronov and Y.Zaitsev were injured.
No Karpukhin, Yakovenko, Shvyryov and Slepets ??? Im surprised

Defense was expected to be bad, just it is a question if it will be bad or awful (if Dronov and Zaitsev fail to recover in time).

I hoped that Karpukhin will be there, as he was getting good minutes in the VHL. Yakovenko wasn't expected to be there like at all, and Slepets pretty much too.

Shvyryov is snubbed again.

I guess Bragin just isn't a fan.

I think Svyryov is just too one-way for Bragin and you can afford that only if you're Malkin.

How many Russian players playing in NA will be added ?
My guess is Kostin, Abramov, Rubtsov, Sokolov and Samorukov..
I hope A.Svechnikov will be back too

I hope Lipanov is there too, as I'm not a fan of both of Rasseikin and Moiseyev at center. Btw, there is still no confirmation that Kostin will be available.

As for other roster surprises, no Kurashov (I thought he wasn't that worse than others at the Series, but I totally don't miss him), no Kara (also not like he would be irreplaceable). Konovalov is invited, which might make our goalie situation even more interesting, although it's hard to imagine Bragin taking him unless there is an injury or Sukhachyov is having another meltdown. Kravtsov and Shen look to me more as a 'see you next year' guys. Also it is nice to see Sholokhov back in the conversation.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The defense pretty much eliminates hope of a Gold or Silver. The team has fewer good defensemen than last year's Bronze Medal team, and no Kaprizov, Polunin or Guryanov to produce offense. This looks like the first team since 2010 that could likely finish without a medal.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Please no more Sukhachyov, I dont care if he lets no goals in the VHL. Some of the players said in an interview the Super series was below the KHL but above the level of play at the VHL. Canada has some world class shooters that picked apart Sukhachyov. I dont know what type of quality shots he is getting in VHL but I am certain its no where the caliber he will see at the WJC. He has proven garbage at this level, if he is the goalie then the team is toast.

I dont know why we cant be happy with Berdin/Melnichuk, both guys were solid. Maybe take a look at Konovalov for the 3rd guy but please let us not be cursed with Sukachyov.

Difficult to see Kravtsov not making the team at this point.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Please no more Sukhachyov, I dont care if he lets no goals in the VHL. Some of the players said in an interview the Super series was below the KHL but above the level of play at the VHL. Canada has some world class shooters that picked apart Sukhachyov. I dont know what type of quality shots he is getting in VHL but I am certain its no where the caliber he will see at the WJC. He has proven garbage at this level, if he is the goalie then the team is toast.

I dont know why we cant be happy with Berdin/Melnichuk, both guys were solid. Maybe take a look at Konovalov for the 3rd guy but please let us not be cursed with Sukachyov.

Difficult to see Kravtsov not making the team at this point.

I don't know, obviously I'm biased, since I've been following Sukhachyov for quite a long time and have had a pretty high opinion of him, but I'm not exactly sure if we should write him down after just two bad games (in I don't even know how many years). Of course, if he is bad again at the camp, I don't have any problems with coaches cutting him.

Kravtsov will face quite a competition if both Kostin and Svechnikov are available.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad