Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2018

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What do we think the roster might look like?
Tough to judge how Bragin and Bratash feel about the Balashikha tournament participants.

From the Canada Russia Series my guess is:

Altybarmakian - Maltsev - Polodian
Manukian - Lipanov - Sokolov

Add Kostin - Rubtsov - Svechnikov and a 4th line that is fairly tough to predict.

The D without Sergachev and Dronov remains with one capable defenceman in Samorukov. This will be the most glaring hole.

Probably Berdin, Melnichuk for now as a top duo in goal.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Shocked and dissapointed by Sukhachyov's meltdown, he looked much worse than last year, I guess that missing that half-year with an injury had it's impact, I have no other explanation. Melnichuk looked decent, but remembering how bad he was just something like a month ago makes me worried. Maybe Berdin can be a proper starter, but I totally don't know how consistent he is nowadays, it was an issue before he left. So yeah, here I think it is fully up to the camp.

On a positive side, it's Polodyan and Lipanov, I guess I don't have to explain why. Also I'd say that defense didn't look as awful as I expected it to be.

What do we think the roster might look like?

So, if everyone get's healthy in time and Kostin is let go (and, obviously, Sergachev is not)...

Altybarmakyan-Maltsev-Polodyan
Kostin-Lipanov-Sokolov
Kayumov-Rubtsov-Abramov
Kara-Ivanov-Svechnikov

Kurashov-Makeyev
Dronov-Elizarov
Syomin-Zaitsev
Samorukov-Miroshnichenko

Berdin
Melnichuk
Sukhachyov

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
At this point Sukachyov is toast, as he should be. I believe Bragin finally sees this as well. Melnichuk and Berdin were solid as rocks, finally have 2 good goalies who will have to fight it out for #1.
Kara was the most disappointing player there, Bragin scratched him in the last game -not a good sign for him. I have a bad feeling Rasseikin will be there, Bragin seems to like him. I cant believe how poor his skills are. Its one thing to be a grind type player, but every blind dog finds a bone every once in a while - not this guy.
Still think Kravtsov is a lock. He's possibly the best U-20 Russian guy in the KHL, is big and plays a mans game with a lot of skill. I think if Bragin was uncertain about him he would have brought him to the series. The fact he left him off tells me he's pretty sure about him. IMO, he may end up being the best forward Russia brings to the tournament.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Tough to judge how Bragin and Bratash feel about the Balashikha tournament participants.

From the Canada Russia Series my guess is:

Altybarmakian - Maltsev - Polodian
Manukian - Lipanov - Sokolov

Add Kostin - Rubtsov - Svechnikov and a 4th line that is fairly tough to predict.

The D without Sergachev and Dronov remains with one capable defenceman in Samorukov. This will be the most glaring hole.

Probably Berdin, Melnichuk for now as a top duo in goal.

Your forwards are accurate. See my points on Kravtsov and as much as you dont like Abramov, I think he will make the cut.

The defense this year seems to be bigger and better defensively, but very poor from an offensive standpoint. I noticed they dont lead the rush or spring the forwards as much as in prior years, which hurts your forwards because they arent getting the breakouts or the passes they need to bring a strong offense. This D liked to dump it in once over the red line. Zaitsev is perfect example - very steady, nothing fancy. This is where a guy like Dronov is missed. This is also why the PP sucked so bad, the D are terrible offensively and couldnt come close to running a half decent power play.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If I was picking

Altybarmakyan-Maltsev-Kostin
Abramov-Rubtsov-Svechnikov
Sokolov-Shvyryov-Manukyan
Polodyan-Lipanov-Kayumov

Dronov-Makeyev
Kurashov-Samorukov
Syomin-Elizarov
Alexeyev-Zaitsev

Sukhachyov
Berdin
Tarasov

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Shocked and dissapointed by Sukhachyov's meltdown, he looked much worse than last year, I guess that missing that half-year with an injury had it's impact, I have no other explanation. Melnichuk looked decent, but remembering how bad he was just something like a month ago makes me worried. Maybe Berdin can be a proper starter, but I totally don't know how consistent he is nowadays, it was an issue before he left. So yeah, here I think it is fully up to the camp.

On a positive side, it's Polodyan and Lipanov, I guess I don't have to explain why. Also I'd say that defense didn't look as awful as I expected it to be.

So, if everyone get's healthy in time and Kostin is let go (and, obviously, Sergachev is not)...

Altybarmakyan-Maltsev-Polodyan
Kostin-Lipanov-Sokolov
Kayumov-Rubtsov-Abramov
Kara-Ivanov-Svechnikov

Kurashov-Makeyev
Dronov-Elizarov
Syomin-Zaitsev
Samorukov-Miroshnichenko

Berdin
Melnichuk
Sukhachyov
Are Dronov and Kayumov expected to be healthy?

Abramov and Kara have no business on this roster IMHO.

I know Bragin doesn't like too many smallish guys, but he was playing Manukian a lot and with Abramov on the same line too. Manukian was head and shoulders above both Rubtsov and Abramov. I don't know if Manukian really can translate his game to the next levels, but right know he should be on the roster way ahead of Abramov.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Are Dronov and Kayumov expected to be healthy?

Abramov and Kara have no business on this roster IMHO.

I know Bragin doesn't like too many smallish guys, but he was playing Manukian a lot and with Abramov on the same line too. Manukian was head and shoulders above both Rubtsov and Abramov. I don't know if Manukian really can translate his game to the next levels, but right know he should be on the roster way ahead of Abramov.

Kayumov was expected to be back at the start of December last time I checked. Dronov's situation is more complicated (as his "official" return date is set just prior to the start of the WJC), but if there is a chance he can play there, he should be there, imo.

Abramov looked good in the second QMJHL game, so I don't agree here.

Manukyan isn't bad, but to me he looks like a poor man's version of Polunin (and he is even smaller than that), so I'd take Kayumov instead of him in ideal world (e.g. if Kayumov is in a good form). And other Top9 LW positions probably are already reserved for Barman and Kostin.

With Kara the thing is that, while I'm not impressed by him, at 4th line wing we need someone gritty, with size and who can play C in case of an injury and there are not too many options I guess: Kara, Rasseikin, Tsyplakov... anyone else? I hoped that Sholokhov could be that guy, but apparently Bragin isn't a fan of him.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Kayumov was expected to be back at the start of December last time I checked. Dronov's situation is more complicated (as his "official" return date is set just prior to the start of the WJC), but if there is a chance he can play there, he should be there, imo.

Abramov looked good in the second QMJHL game, so I don't agree here.

Manukyan isn't bad, but to me he looks like a poor man's version of Polunin (and he is even smaller than that), so I'd take Kayumov instead of him in ideal world (e.g. if Kayumov is in a good form). And other Top9 LW positions probably are already reserved for Barman and Kostin.

With Kara the thing is that, while I'm not impressed by him, at 4th line wing we need someone gritty, with size and who can play C in case of an injury and there are not too many options I guess: Kara, Rasseikin, Tsyplakov... anyone else? I hoped that Sholokhov could be that guy, but apparently Bragin isn't a fan of him.
Guess we won't agree on Abramov. In my eyes he did nothing, really nothing to impress in both games.

Manukian looks like a better version of Polunin actually.

Rasseikin, Tsyplakov over Kara easily, but the 4th will be a Bragin thing. He will probably bring the guys for qualities we can't even evaluate from here.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Guess we won't agree on Abramov. In my eyes he did nothing, really nothing to impress in both games.

Manukian looks like a better version of Polunin actually.

Rasseikin, Tsyplakov over Kara easily, but the 4th will be a Bragin thing. He will probably bring the guys for qualities we can't even evaluate from here.

Tsyplakov over Kara is fine to me, but please no Rasseikin, I wasn't a big fan of him before the Series and totally not a fan of him after it.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
No chance for Mizyurin, Chekhovich, Kosorenkov, Maksimov, V.Kuznetsov, Popugaev?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I didn't like most of the players that played at this series.

Hard to believe that guys like Shvyryov, Shen and Kravtsov weren't good enough.
Them not being invited doesn't necessarily mean they were considered not good enough.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
As usually on Manukyan opinions are polarized: Atas (and, obviously, not only him) thinks that he should be there, but I'd prefer a healthy Kayumov instead.
I would prefer Kayumov and Manukian on the roster.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Tsyplakov over Kara is fine to me, but please no Rasseikin, I wasn't a big fan of him before the Series and totally not a fan of him after it.
The 4th line will be up to Bragin's skill to pick character players. I did like what I saw from Tsyplakov in that regard. But we don't know what Bragin knows and thinks. He is afterall in the locker room with the players and on the road. He has a better understanding of what type of guys he is having there.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I wonder what the story with Dinamo and Vinyamin Baranov. It seems like he has nothing left to prove in MHL, but he isn't getting promoted. I thought he looked really good playing for U18 team last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad