Pavel Kukshtel
Mikhail Maltsev
Artyom Manukyan
Danila Moiseyev
Maxim Rasseikin
Marsel Sholokhov
Igor Shvyryov
Danil Veryayev

Russia U20 NT final cuts: Afanasyev, Bogatov, Gorokhov, Koshurnikov, Kukshtel, Rasseikin. FW Ivan Romanov has been added to the roster.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Didn't see the 4 Natons games, but from the roster/stats watching I still could make couple of conclusions:

• Sukhachyov is even more likely #1 GK candidate than he was before, as Melnichuk has been quickly pulled after allowing two Vs. Czechs and Ustimenko didn't play at all.
  • Bragin is pretty serious at trying to solve the 'too much small wingers' problem (I don't think he ever took more than 3 small winger to the WJC, but this year we have Abramov, Manukyan, Kayumov, Altybarmakyan, Veryayev etc.). As a result once again Maltsev was centering small guys: in Sochi those were Manukyan and Abramov and now those were Veryayev/Altybarmakyan and Kayumov. Very unusual setup for Bragin, although you can say there was Goldobin-Kamenev-Tolchinsky line in the past (still Goldobin isn't that small).
  • Sholokhov was given an "A" and I think he has a very good chance to make it to the WJC as he is the most versatile guy on the team, which is very important for Bragin's usual 8+12 setup (as it is vulnerable to FW injuries).

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Schvyryov scored for Magnitka today.

I see that we have some new U20 names in KHL this season:

Alexander Sevostianov (D)
Artur Karmashkov (D)
Daniil Skorikov (F)
Makar Khabarov (D)
Pavel Gorokhov (F)
Damir Rakhimullin (RW)

I knew Skorikov, he showed up on several draft lists. Others I didn't know existed.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Abramov-Shvyryov-Rubtsov
Kostin-Maltsev-Kayumov
Svechnikov-Lipanov-Altybarmakyan
Veryaev-Rasseikin-Sokolov

Zaitsev-Dronov
Kurashov-Samorukov
Kalinin-Karpukhin
Alexeyev

Sukhachyov
Melnichuk
Tarasov

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Abramov-Shvyryov-Rubtsov
Kostin-Maltsev-Kayumov

Zaitsev-Dronov
Kurashov-Samorukov
Kalinin-Karpukhin
Alexeyev

Sukhachyov
Melnichuk
Tarasov

I would generally agree with this line-up although I strongly believe there will be at least 2-3 CHL defenseman on the squad and up front I believe Kravtsov gets in. I do not want to see Sukhachyov in net as the starter, his style is not reliable. Due to his smaller size he is forced to be more aggressive, moves around a lot in net/acrobatic. At times this works but its unreliable at best against a world class offense. Id rather see one of the bigger guys like Tarasov and Berdin get long looks as starters. To be fair Berdin hasnt been given a fair chance in any of the U20 tournaments. His last international performance was sensational.

Reports out of TB have high hopes for Sosunov - he even got into NHL preseason game. I will be interested to see him at the super series. My bets are on him as a dark horse. Bragin likes his big D who can skate. Apparently Sosunov is an exceptional skater, him in Zaitsev will likely get long looks as a pairing.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I would generally agree with this line-up although I strongly believe there will be at least 2-3 CHL defenseman on the squad and up front I believe Kravtsov gets in. I do not want to see Sukhachyov in net as the starter, his style is not reliable. Due to his smaller size he is forced to be more aggressive, moves around a lot in net/acrobatic. At times this works but its unreliable at best against a world class offense. Id rather see one of the bigger guys like Tarasov and Berdin get long looks as starters. To be fair Berdin hasnt been given a fair chance in any of the U20 tournaments. His last international performance was sensational.

Reports out of TB have high hopes for Sosunov - he even got into NHL preseason game. I will be interested to see him at the super series. My bets are on him as a dark horse. Bragin likes his big D who can skate. Apparently Sosunov is an exceptional skater, him in Zaitsev will likely get long looks as a pairing.

Kravtsov looks like a strong candidate.

I would also add Kara and Shen, they are making a strong case also.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Now one has to wonder whether Bragin will invite him to camp at all. I hope so.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Abramov-Shvyryov-Rubtsov
Kostin-Maltsev-Kayumov

Zaitsev-Dronov
Kurashov-Samorukov
Kalinin-Karpukhin
Alexeyev

Sukhachyov
Melnichuk
Tarasov

Many of the right names are here, I think. I don't see Sokolov on a 4th line. I wouldn't be surprised to see him not make the team at all.

The aforementioned Semin should be on this blueline. Alexeev - I wish, but I doubt it. A tad young and I think he'll miss the Superseries too.

And, let's face it, Rubtsov has looked like crap even since leaving home. Not first line material.

Goaltending this year is a puzzler. I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see Zhukov get a shot.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
If we see Lipanov and Svechnikov on this year's roster, it would make sense to combine them with another CHLer. Either Rubtsov or Abramov.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
So, if we are making early guesses...

Kostin(if STL will let him go)-Rubtsov-Sokolov
Altbrmn-Maltsev-Abramov
Kosorenkov-Shvyryov-Sholokhov
Kara-Ivanov-Polodyan

Comments on FW: for the purpose of simplifying stuff, here I'm assuming that Svechnikov and Kayumov are out. Don't have too much faith in Popugaev and Manukyan, but if Kostin won't be let go to the WJC I can think that they might get the chance.

Dronov-Makeyev
Zaitsev-Zaitsev
Alexeyev-Karpukhin
Syomin-Samorukov

Comments on D: just putting rather random names here (obviously assuming that Sergachev is unavailable), as D is still a big mistery.

Sukhachyov
Ustimenko
Melnichuk

Comments on GK: Bragin seems to be ignoring USHL guys and Tarasov is not playing again, so those guys are basically what is left.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
No predictions, just what I would like to see. Ignore LD/RD distinctions.

Abramov-Lipanov-Svech
Kostin-Shvyrev-Alty
Kara-Maltsev-Veryaev
Ivanov-Sholokh-Kayumov

Makeev-Serg
Semin-Zaitsev(egor)
Alexeev-Dronov
Kurashov-Kalinin

Zhukov-Berdin (lol, fat chance)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The younger Alexeev is a much better hockey player - possible first rounder this year - but I think you're right about Dmitry. He slipped my mind.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
What happened to Tarasov?

Iirc, opponent landed on his leg in MHL game in September and he immediately skated to the bench and hasn't played since then. I saw that he was listed on KHL team's road trip roster, but apparently he was just training there (his father is Salavat's GK coach).

And if anyone thought that it can't get any worse, Dronov just suffered a broken ankle and is out for two months.

btw, since Alex Alexeyev has been mentioned, he is also injured since September (shoulder), expected to be back soon though.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
CAN RUS Series extended roster is announced:

GK
Mikhail Berdin
Alexei Melnichuk
Vladislav Sukhachyov

D