Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2018

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
svechnikov is already a way better than kostin.

I think Bragin will be very tempted to break his own rules and include Svechnikov on the U20 roster. No need to wait for aging with talent like Svechnikov has to offer.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I want to clarify this is simply a depth chart of roughly were the guys might be, not specific line combos, Sokolov is a winger but is listed as forward so I plugged him to center. For example, say Alexeyev somehow gets on the team, he will not be playing on the 4th line he would without a doubt be lining up next to Kostin, wherever that is.

Also the goaltenders, everyone seems to like Suhkachev, but IMO he could end up 3rd in the pecking order. I would at least like to see Berdin get an honest opportunity at the starting gig, he stole the show at the U19s and covers a lot more net than the acrobatic Suhkachev. Personally Suhkachevs style makes me nervous especially if the D turns out to be sub-par.

Forwards will be the most interesting, 3 potential all-star 17 year olds in a year where there is a tonne of depth at the 18-19 year old levels. It is likely that Abramov, Kosorenkov and Sokolov all blow past 50 goals next season. In addition, Popugaev looks to be a contender and Kuznetsov has been one of the hottest Russian players in the CHL the past month or so (5g in past 2 games). Throw inSvechnikov and a guy like Alexeyev (has an outside shot) and that is 8 guys from the CHL. I just cant see Bragin going with that.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I want to clarify this is simply a depth chart of roughly were the guys might be, not specific line combos, Sokolov is a winger but is listed as forward so I plugged him to center. For example, say Alexeyev somehow gets on the team, he will not be playing on the 4th line he would without a doubt be lining up next to Kostin, wherever that is.

Also the goaltenders, everyone seems to like Suhkachev, but IMO he could end up 3rd in the pecking order. I would at least like to see Berdin get an honest opportunity at the starting gig, he stole the show at the U19s and covers a lot more net than the acrobatic Suhkachev. Personally Suhkachevs style makes me nervous especially if the D turns out to be sub-par.

Forwards will be the most interesting, 3 potential all-star 17 year olds in a year where there is a tonne of depth at the 18-19 year old levels. It is likely that Abramov, Kosorenkov and Sokolov all blow past 50 goals next season. In addition, Popugaev looks to be a contender and Kuznetsov has been one of the hottest Russian players in the CHL the past month or so (5g in past 2 games). Throw inSvechnikov and a guy like Alexeyev (has an outside shot) and that is 8 guys from the CHL. I just cant see Bragin going with that.

There is no way Sokolov plays center, Svechnikov would be more likely imo out of the wingers, Sokolovs skillset is just not fit for the wing his sharing of the puck and defensive game are his biggest weakness and those are crucial for a center. Abramov is also almost 67 % on faceoffs this year in his 69 attempts though its likely he slides back into the wing when the play starts. I don't think he would be bad at center if needed.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There are enough centers, wingers don't need to be moved to center.

Could run something like this

Kosorenkov-Rubtsov-Abramov
Veryayev-Shvyryov-Svechnikov
Sokolov-Lipanov-Khovanov
Maltsev-Koltygin-Kostin

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I don't think Bragin is as closed to foreign players, as he wants to see a real effort during the series.
If he sees it, he will call them up.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
There are enough centers, wingers don't need to be moved to center.

Could run something like this

Kosorenkov-Rubtsov-Abramov
Veryayev-Shvyryov-Svechnikov
Sokolov-Lipanov-Khovanov
Maltsev-Koltygin-Kostin

Maltsev's faceoff skills are wasted here though. But not bad.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I'm not worried about the forwards next year. It's the defense that looks like complete rubbish.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
There is no way Sokolov plays center, Svechnikov would be more likely imo out of the wingers, Sokolovs skillset is just not fit for the wing his sharing of the puck and defensive game are his biggest weakness and those are crucial for a center. Abramov is also almost 67 % on faceoffs this year in his 69 attempts though its likely he slides back into the wing when the play starts. I don't think he would be bad at center if needed.

I know hes not centre, I already clarified that the list was quick and dirty, please, spare us with the nitpicking.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Someone in one of these threads criticized Kuznetsov for being in contention. Whoever that was you are behind the times. 10g and 15p in last 7 games. I am watching the BAT game tonight to check in on him and Miromanov. Nothing but positives. Big guy with lots of skill, maybe underachieved 2nd half last season and 1st half this season but he has gone mad the past couple months.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Someone in one of these threads criticized Kuznetsov for being in contention. Whoever that was you are behind the times. 10g and 15p in last 7 games. I am watching the BAT game tonight to check in on him and Miromanov. Nothing but positives. Big guy with lots of skill, maybe underachieved 2nd half last season and 1st half this season but he has gone mad the past couple months.

That was me.

His stats are still really unimpressive, and I haven't been impressed the few times I've seen him play. He might just be playing well the past few weeks. Maybe you are right, I really don't know, but I certainly would not consider him one of the best candidates for this team.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
That was me.

His stats are still really unimpressive, and I haven't been impressed the few times I've seen him play. He might just be playing well the past few weeks. Maybe you are right, I really don't know, but I certainly would not consider him one of the best candidates for this team.

Ok, IMO he will be invited to the Super Series. Only way he does not earn a spot is that there will be more depth on forward that the team has seen in years, see below. Maybe he is simply outplayed in camp, but no way he does not get the call.

Completely reasonable to expect Sokolov and Abramov to be 60 goal scorers and lead there leagues in scoring next year. In addition Kosorenkov, Rubtsov, Popugaev and Kuznetsov likely to hit the 40 goal mark next season. Throw in Svechnikov. Thats serious offense considering those are only the guys from NA.

Also dont judge him on stats. The stats will be there next season, its the player you need to judge, big man who can move + lots of skill with NT experience. Past month he has almost same stats as Abramov BTW

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Interesting that if this year we had quite a competition for LW roster spots, then next year it seems that there is much more depth at RW: Abramov and Sokolov are basically RW-only; Kostin also prefer RW position, not to mention Svechnikov.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Interesting that if this year we had quite a competition for LW roster spots, then next year it seems that there is much more depth at RW: Abramov and Sokolov are basically RW-only; Kostin also prefer RW position, not to mention Svechnikov.

Russian wingers are usually quite versatile, I'm sure Abramov can play the left side, not sure about the others.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
That was me.

Considering his stats were flat out awful at the beginning of the season, it's very impressive that he is a currently PPG.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Extended roster for the 5 Nations in Slovakia (April 1st-6th):

GK
Ilya Konovalov
Dmitriy Lozebnikov
Alexey Melnichuk

D
Dmitriy Alexeyev
Maxim Afanasyev
Konstantin Chernyuk
Alexandr Kalinin
Ivan Kovalyov
Roman Krivosheyev
Daniil Kurashov
Leonid Lavrinenko
Alexandr Sevostyanov
Yegor Zaitsev

FW
Georgiy Ivanov
Vladislav Kara
Artur Kayumov
Kirill Koshurnikov
Artyom Manukyan
Yuriy Muravyov
Anton Nazarevich
Alexei Polodyan
Maxim Rasseikin
Andrei Revatskiy
Marsel Sholokhov
Igor Shvyryov
Danila Tsyganov
Anton Vasilyev
Danil Veryayev

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Extended roster for the 5 Nations in Slovakia (April 1st-6th):

GK
Ilya Konovalov
Dmitriy Lozebnikov
Alexey Melnichuk

D
Dmitriy Alexeyev
Maxim Afanasyev
Konstantin Chernyuk
Alexandr Kalinin
Ivan Kovalyov
Roman Krivosheyev
Daniil Kurashov
Leonid Lavrinenko
Alexandr Sevostyanov
Yegor Zaitsev

FW
Georgiy Ivanov
Vladislav Kara
Artur Kayumov
Kirill Koshurnikov
Artyom Manukyan
Yuriy Muravyov
Anton Nazarevich
Alexei Polodyan
Maxim Rasseikin
Andrei Revatskiy
Marsel Sholokhov
Igor Shvyryov
Danila Tsyganov
Anton Vasilyev
Danil Veryayev

Chernyuk, Sevastyanov, Muravyov, Vasilyev and Nazarevich have been cut.

Last edited:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Am I the only one who is really interested to see how Manukyan does?

I don't think we have seen a prospect like this, at least I don't remember.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Am I the only one who is really interested to see how Manukyan does?

I don't think we have seen a prospect like this, at least I don't remember.

Ive never seen him play - really want to. Anyone have a link to the tournament website

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Black Sea Cup camp roster:

GK
Ilya Konovalov
Georgiy Kuznetsov
Dmitriy Lozebnikov
Alexei Melnichuk
Dimitriy Raiko
Konstantin Sharapov

D
Maxim Afanasyev
Dmitriy Alexeyev
Nikolai Bogatov
Grigoriy Dronov
Alexandr Kalinin
Ilya Karpukhin
Ivan Kovalyov
Roman Krivosheyev
Daniil Kurashov
Leonid Lavrinenko
Nikita Makeyev
Artyom Minulin
Mark Rubinchik
Dmitriy Samorukov
Alexandr Shepelev
Artur Shepelkov
Vladislav Syomin
Dmitriy Zaitsev

FW
Vitaliy Abramov
Andrei Altybarmakyan
Ivan Chekhovich
Georgiy Ivanov
Artyom Ivanyuzhenkov
Vladislav Kara
Artur Kayumov
Pavel Koltygin
Kirill Koshurnikov
Ivan Kosorenkov
Pavel Kukshtel
Vladimir Kuznetsov
Mikhail Maltsev
Artyom Manukyan
Mikhail Meshcheryakov
Danila Moiseyev
Alexei Polodyan
Nikita A. Popugaev
Maxim Rasseikin
Andrei Revatskiy
Marsel Sholokhov
Igor Shvyryov
Kirill Slepets
Dmitriy Sokolov
Alexei Toropchenko
Danil Veryayev

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
For me most notable omissions are: Berdin, Kravtsov, Rodionychev, Zaitsev. Rubtsov and Kostin still injured - assumption. Overall all of the forwards and D other than what I have mentioned above are all in my top 8 dmen and top 18 forwards.

Very deep forward pool this year so I suppose I can forgive no Kravtsov, Svechnikov Khovanov Zavgorodny and Densienko. Would be nice to see at least one of them get a shot in the exhibitions though.

Very excited to see Sokolov and Abramov reunited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->