Russia offense past Ovie/Geno

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
As sad as it is, out two biggest stars are past 30 years and while they still have a few years of elite hockey left in them, what would our team offense look like in the future ?

Panarin
A.Svechnikov
Tarasenko
Kaprizov
Kuznetsov
Kucherov
Buchnevich
Guryanov

Who else would you add to the list of the best ?

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
As sad as it is, out two biggest stars are past 30 years and while they still have a few years of elite hockey left in them, what would our team offense look like in the future ?

Panarin
A.Svechnikov
Tarasenko
Kaprizov
Kuznetsov
Kucherov
Buchnevich
Guryanov

Buchnevich was a steal in that 2013 draft

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Panarin
A.Svechnikov
Tarasenko
Kaprizov
Kuznetsov
Kucherov
Buchnevich
Guryanov

Scratch Guryanov from that list.

And btw it doesn't look half bad.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Scratch Guryanov from that list.

And btw it doesn't look half bad.

Guryanov was silent in the preliminary round, but I thought he showed a lot of speed and power in the Semifinals and the Bronze Medal game. He made tough plays when the team needed someone to step up. It changed my attitude toward him in a positive way.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I think, as some others have said, Guryanov looks like he can be a Chris Kreider-level player if continues developing well. Although I have said negative things about him before, I am very impressed by his recent WJC and AHL-level play. He looks like an NHLer to me, although I doubt he will be a first liner.

I would add Nikita Gusev to this list, because I think he will be great in the NHL. And because you have Svechnikov on your list already, you could also consider another 00-born forward Alexander Khovanov. But these guys are just 16. Who knows what will happen.

I am a little bit concerned about our centers. When Malkin exits we might be exposed. So I am hoping that Svechnikov switches back to the pivot. And there are a few candidates to develop into solid players: Vorobiev, Namestnikov, Kamenev.

I am disappointed that Kamenev has plateaued offensively this year. Was counting on a breakthrough season. Oh well. He's still just 20.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Best 25 and under Russian team, including the very best KHL youngsters and NHL players.

Panarin-Kuznetsov-Tarasenko
Gusev-Kamenev-Kucherov
Kaprizov-Grigorenko-Buchnevich
Lyubimov-Namestnikov-Nichushkin
Kalinin-Tkachyov-Yakupov
Slepyshev-Soshnikov-Scherbak
Burmistrov

Then you have others like

Denisenko, Khovanov, Svechnikov, Guryanov, Polunin, Vorobyov, Barbashev, Goldobin, Rubtsov, Shvyryov, Golyshev, Tkachyov, Shalunov, Shenfeld, Barabanov

So I think the conclusion is that the wingers are still very good, but there's a lack of good centers.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Forward unit has always been a strength and I think it'll remain that way. Russia has really turned on their goalie development also.

Now defense...

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Kamenev is having a solid season, took a step forward. Next year is the year for him to be NHLer. Definitely one of our top young centers.

There is PLENTY of talent at center also, as a matter of fact I've noticed a nice spike in number of 2-way centers in the last few draft generations. And this upcoming draft might be best yet with Lipanov, Chekhovich, Koltygin, Mizyurin, Shvyryov, Kozlov and Ivanov.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Speaking of centers, Trenin pleasantly surprised me this WJHC. He was winning face offs at a very high percentage, very rare for a Russian center, although it's understandable given he spent last few years in NA

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I'd add Korshkov into discussion... also possibly Barbashev. Btw, I really liked Svetlakov this season, could become a perfect 4-th line/PK center for the NT one day.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I'd add Korshkov into discussion... also possibly Barbashev. Btw, I really liked Svetlakov this season, could become a perfect 4-th line/PK center for the NT one day.

If you look beyond Russia, no other countries are exactly mass-producing hockey legends, either. Off the top of my head, in the last 10 years, I can only think of Stamkos (who is almost always unavailable because of injury) and McDavid as genuine superstars for Canada. The USA has Matthews, but no other generational talents that come to mind. Russia should match up well with anyone in the future.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Korshkov is going to be a beauty. There was a lot of hype about him after a WJC tournament, and now he is hurt and everyone's forgotten about him again.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Don't give up on Grigorenko yet. I think the light will go off in a year or 2. He is still pretty young, same age as Barabanov.

It's just such a terrible situation in Colorado, difficult for a young player to excel.

About the only thing I like about him is the improving faceoff percentage.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Im not sad about OV, he is great but he has modified his game so the skill element is barely existent anymore. Chips and floats waiting for the big shot, but its what he needs to do to keep putting up big goal totals. He even uses a curve so big he couldnt stickhandle if he wanted too.

The guy who I think is your new classic Russian star is Kuznetsov. He plays the game referred by coaches as too "cute" but is it ever fun to watch. Passing, stick handling creativity, shooting and skating are off the charts. He is the definition of elite Russian player. Match him up with Tarasenko and Panarin, like in the world juniors, you will have one of the most exciting lines you will watch. His goals totals will never be high but who cares, he is as entertaining as a player can be.

He was matched against McDavid yesterday and outplayed him, even picked his pocket a few times. You could see they were trying to one-up eachother. Not saying Kuzy is better but yesterday he sure was, his skill was shining brighter and they were matched against eachother the entire game. One of Kuzys best games of the year by far BTW.

To sum: Kuzy is your new star, will never have the numbers of an OV but will bring more excitement than any other guy with such elite, sheer skill and hockey sense.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
Today all junior national team lost. U 18 on shootout, but they only score 5 goals in 3 games, is just a bad day, defence first style on all teams or low talent quality?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Today all junior national team lost. U 18 on shootout, but they only score 5 goals in 3 games, is just a bad day, defence first style on all teams or low talent quality?

Overall, talent production is stagnant. Whether it is actually declining, time will tell. The creation of the KHL and MHL failed to stimulate a major growth of Russian hockey, as was hoped. Maybe the biggest problem, in my mind, is North America. Why should Russians invest the great amount of money required to develop hockey talent when all of the talented players will use that investment to enrich the pockets of North American team owners? Neither the KHL nor the MHL can put top quality players on the ice, so why bother with a big investment? It doesn't make any sense.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If you look beyond Russia, no other countries are exactly mass-producing hockey legends, either. Off the top of my head, in the last 10 years, I can only think of Stamkos (who is almost always unavailable because of injury) and McDavid as genuine superstars for Canada. The USA has Matthews, but no other generational talents that come to mind. Russia should match up well with anyone in the future.
Mackinnon, Marner, Eichel, Kane? you've heard of those guys right?

All world class players, hell, You've got Stamkos listed and he isn't as good as Mackinnon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->