Russia not given blanket Games ban by IOC (updated)

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
:shakehead The athletes were tested rigorously. They passed the tests, the governing bodies cleared them. They are not tainted. Only to you and your myopic sense of thought.

You mean only me, and the rest of the world with the exception of Russia.

I'll wait until the post-competition tests come in. Until then, they're all asterisks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Gotta love naive posts

If those are tainted so are 99% of the other medals.
The rest of countries/athletes are no different than russian athletes

The rest of the athletes aren't coming from a PROVEN state-sponsored system of universal doping. Nobody else was doing what Russia was doing.

Are there some dopers from other countries? Absolutely. But what Russia did was absolutely sickening and it's a joke that their athletes are allowed here.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The rest of the athletes aren't coming from a PROVEN state-sponsored system of universal doping. Nobody else was doing what Russia was doing.

That's not true.

You just don't know that nobody else is doing it and don't realize how easy it is to cheat.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Are there some dopers from other countries? Absolutely. But what Russia did was absolutely sickening and it's a joke that their athletes are allowed here.

Right.

Because every single one of them was caught doping.

Whoops.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's not true.

You just don't know that nobody else is doing it and don't realize how easy it is to cheat.

I'm very familiar with doping in sport and how easy it is to cheat.

There is zero evidence that any other country has engaged in systematic across-the-board state sponsored doping in recent years. And if anyone else is caught doing it, they should be booted out en masse as well.

Right.

Because every single one of them was caught doping.

Whoops.

Doesn't matter.

What Russia did was an abomination, and probably the worst thing to happen to the Olympics since the East German stuff in the 1970s/80s. And they were caught and busted. And if you want to make sure anything like this never happens again, you punish the country doing it as harshly as possible.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I'm very familiar with doping in sport and how easy it is to cheat.

There is zero evidence that any other country has engaged in systematic across-the-board state sponsored doping in recent years. And if anyone else is caught doing it, they should be booted out en masse as well.

I'll start saying that I'm glad they discovered what was going on in Russia, but I don't believe banning all their athletes is the right way (just ban the country from participating, and have the "clean" athletes participate as neutrals)

There's no evidence until someone goes out there and finds it, but if you investigate some countries in some events I'm sure they would find evidence. For instance, if you investigate UK in London 12 I bet some interesting things would come to light.

But it doesn't interest to mess/investigate UK.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
And for some it might be a joke that Russia can compete but I just can't believe (even though I thought the same 4 years ago) that Justin Gatlin is able to participate in Olympics again

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I believe most in the top-10 in medals do it in some way.

I'd definitely put money on China. Can't see the USA, Australia or GB risking something like that. IMO, the US doesn't need a doping-program so long as they have the money machine that is the NCAA to develop their athletes.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I'd definitely put money on China. Can't see the USA, Australia or GB risking something like that. IMO, the US doesn't need a doping-program so long as they have the money machine that is the NCAA to develop their athletes.

China is an obvious one since Beijing olympics.
UK too since London.
Spain did it in the Barcelona games.

USA has been doing it forever... Same goes for URSS/Russia. As I said, if they investigated they would find things but no one is interested in doing so.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
China is an obvious one since Beijing olympics.
UK too since London.
Spain did it in the Barcelona games.

USA has been doing it forever... Same goes for URSS/Russia. As I said, if they investigated they would find things but no one is interested in doing so.

It would be a domestic political disaster/media ********* if government funding was put into doping in said countries or any western country. Individual sports governing bodies in the US may have participated in concealing positive cases in the past (Carl Lewis) but especially in the track & field, it seems ot have come from club level (Santa Monica Track Club IIRC was such a case). Media scrutiny towards government actions today is too great for them to risk getting involved. Also I just think the US government doesn't even care about sports enough.

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
My two cents.

Its disgusting how Rodchenkov is being trotted around like some saint. The guy learned his craft in Canada. Started a criminal enterprise in Russia then took a pound a silver to push lies when drug dealers were about to kill him.

WADA is being used as a geopolitcal weapon and the whole McClaren report which has been treated like the bible is a politcal sham casting wide nets of guilt with no real evidence.

This has created basically a circle jerk. The McClaren report is used as the sole evidence but has no evidence. A good defense attorney would absolutely destroy McClaren on a court stand.

A couple sports feds that are run like a manor by British Russophobes (IAAF, IPC) then blanket ban athletes for their ethnicity with no real evidence or due process. Robbing medals from athletes like Isinbayeva with a spotless record.

One of the main guys orchestrating the attacks and another one more behind the scenes are Travis Tygart and Paul Melia.

One of Travis Tygarts political stunts that royally pissed me off is this past Winter when he gave athletes worked up with Russia hysteria a script of BS to post on social media talking about how they are worried about their security, their food being tampered with etc. This then pressured the moving of a few events.

Tygart only orchestrated that scheme on a few events while ignoring the other 80% of Winter events hosted in Russia. Anyone with any sense of logic and decency would point out how incredibily disengenous that is.

Heres the thing though. These political attacks reached the laws of diminishing returns long ago. The powers that be are trying to milk it as long as they can for two major reasons. 1) Russia is building the strongest most transparent anti doping system. This is going to make it impossible for the Western elite to do an attack like this in the future. 2. WADA, IAAF and their heads are trying to distract from the various scandals they find themself. it.

One of the things nobody ever brings up is at the 2014 Olympics most of the medals were won by figure skaters and two foreigners Vic Wild and Victor Ahn.

Sliding sports are super technical and theres a benefit from practing on the home track a million times. Russias top skeleton guy is generally considered the first or second best in the world.

In hockey, speed skating, biathlon, cross country sking Russia did average or below average.

But I think for some of the people behind the attacks or supportive of them there is some sort of big believe that Russia's sporting performance would be harmed by this. It hasn't been the case. Across the board Russia has had a lot of success the last year plus.

Look at the recent World Aquatic Games. Despite all the political harrassment and scrutiny Russia actually did way better in this one than the previous one which was hosted in Russia a couple years ago.

Lets talk about Efimova who earlier posts have demonized. Do you realize what the facts of her case really are. She took a GNC suppliment that happend to have DHEA in it. Hell, I saw DHEA at Walmart the other day for a few bucks. She got over a year ban for that.

And she took the politically banned Meldonium BEFORE it was banned. Thats it. The story should be how WADA poltically banned something without doing any trace studies and then helped hurt the reputation of athletes who did nothing wrong.

Under pressure from Tygart the IOC then put a directive in their ruling stating that any Russian who ever failed a test would not be allowed to compete. How can the IOC not know this is a blatant violation of their own charter? So then athletes a week before the games had to go to court and that was thrown out because it was an obvious violation of the charter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad