Russia not given blanket Games ban by IOC (updated)

Mar 1, 2002
The entire Russian Olympic team will today be banned from competing at the Rio Games next month, The Mail on Sunday understands.

According to well-placed sources, the International Olympic Committee will punish all 387 Russian sportsmen and women in the strongest possible way after revelations of their country’s state-sponsored doping programme shocked the world.

The country’s corrupt track and field stars have already been banned from the Games, and last week lost a desperate legal challenge to overturn that decision

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sponsored-doping-programme.html#ixzz4FHp4ULMh

Last edited by a moderator:

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
They may also be banned from 2018 winter olympics as well.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
th

Somewhere my man is smiling!

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The IOC is scared ****less of Putin. That's why they didn't do a complete ban. There was probably money exchanged as well. IOC is no better than FIFA.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
fifa can at least get their host cities ready for the events in time

Once this Olympics is over the Western media will be able to focus all their efforts on criticising the WC in Russia. There'll be the usual stream of stories about unfinishd stadiums etc.

Of course, the real story is how Russia bought that WC with bribes. Maybe one day we'll find out who got paid what.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
fifa can at least get their host cities ready for the events in time

FIFA hires better slaves. :sarcasm:

Once this Olympics is over the Western media will be able to focus all their efforts on criticising the WC in Russia. There'll be the usual stream of stories about unfinishd stadiums etc.

Of course, the real story is how Russia bought that WC with bribes. Maybe one day we'll find out who got paid what.

Well after their Euro performance, it was clear the soccer team wasn't involved in the doping, and their supporters got all the steroids instead.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
The IOC is scared ****less of Putin. That's why they didn't do a complete ban. There was probably money exchanged as well. IOC is no better than FIFA.

Everyones afraid of Putin. The man is a menace and needs to be stopped FAST.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Sad to see state sponsored doping. It's fair to ban the country from the games. But banning all athletes (I get banning the ones that tested for positive)? That seems unfair, specially knowing that 99% of athletes dope, regardless of the country they represent... be it Russia, UK, USA, China or whatever

myzteriouz

Dec 4, 2011
I still don't know why Gatlin is allowed to compete, not just in the Olympics, but in any event, I thought 2 doping bans equaled a lifetime ban from competing? Or have they changed the rules?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Sad to see state sponsored doping. It's fair to ban the country from the games. But banning all athletes (I get banning the ones that tested for positive)? That seems unfair, specially knowing that 99% of athletes dope, regardless of the country they represent... be it Russia, UK, USA, China or whatever

Well probs all the Russians involved or at least over half of them so might as well axe the whole cheating squad from the worlds olympics. Hopefully thell learn but knowing Russians probs not :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->