Russia may ice weakened team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend*

arrbez said:
um...are we not inviting Chris Pronger this year?

I never said those will be the defensemen for Team Canada.

I listed those players as they are all significantly _faster skaters_ than Chris Pronger, and that was what the discussion is about.

My top 7 Canada D are:

Pronger
Blake
Niedermayer
Foote
Redden
Regehr
Hannan

RoyIsALegend*

Boucicaut said:
They're not exactly pylons, but there is more to it than that. The European guys started playing in the big rinks and did so until crossing the pond for NHL. For most guys that means 10-15 years of experience in big rinks. That must play some kind of role.

Yeah, you're grasping at straws now.

Canada has had the highest scoring team in tournaments, even with the Olympic size ice.

It's a minimal difference, and to say the Czech defense could be better than Canada's just because of the dimensions is downright laughable, IMO.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
greatwhite101 said:
I'd say Russians can roll 4 lines unlike Sweds who have a significantly drop of talent after Sundin and Forsberg line plus as you mentioned goaltending and I will add Russian defense is a little better as well.

The Russians can roll 4 better scoring lines than Sweden, but I think Sweden would take the edge in defensive play. Anyways, between Forsberg, Sundin, Naslund, Alfredsson, both Sedins, Zetterberg, Modin, Lidstrom, etc Sweden should be able to get solid offence

As far as Sweden's goaltending, it's pretty shallow, but Lundqvist is good enough to give them a chance IMO. That being said, they would be in serious trouble once you get past him, and into the Salo/Tellqvist/whoever category

And to some of my Canadian bretheren, stop being so homer-iffic. You act like we're invincible. We're not. On paper means nothing, that's why they play the games

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend*

arrbez said:
The Russians can roll 4 better scoring lines than Sweden, but I think Sweden would take the edge in defensive play

On forward, I don't think any team can match Finland's defensive abilities. Sweden is very close, though.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
RoyIsALegend said:
I never said those will be the defensemen for Team Canada.

I listed those players as they are all significantly _faster skaters_ than Chris Pronger, and that was what the discussion is about.

My top 7 Canada D are:

Pronger
Blake
Niedermayer
Foote
Redden
Regehr
Hannan

Skating speed is a good thing, but there are things like positioning and awareness that come into play too when one has to play in a rink of a different size than one is used to. I'm sure many euro players who made the transition to North America could testify to this.

RoyIsALegend*

Boucicaut said:
Skating speed is a good thing, but there are things like positioning and awareness that come into play too when one has to play in a rink of a different size than one is used to. I'm sure many euro players who made the transition to North America could testify to this.

Again, I'm _extremely_ confident that the likes of Chris Pronger, Rob Blake, and Scott Niedermayer, whom have Norris trophies, Art Ross trophies and Stanley Cup rings between them, can "position" themselves fine with an extra few feet.

They've done it before, and will do it again.

You're grasping at straws and refuse to admit that Canada's defense is far superior to the Czech's.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
RoyIsALegend said:
Yeah, you're grasping at straws now.

Canada has had the highest scoring team in tournaments, even with the Olympic size ice.

It's a minimal difference, and to say the Czech defense could be better than Canada's just because of the dimensions is downright laughable, IMO.

I never said the Czech defence could be better on the big ice, I said it could be as good as Canada's.

Also, I never said dimensions would be the sole reason, I said they would play a role.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
If i was a Russian Hockey fan I'd be pissed! So much politics everytime, they make it look like representing your country isnt that important, we got it good in the U.S. A stupid war between cry babies and its the fans over the world and especially Russians who pay for it. I'm tired of this crap.

RoyIsALegend*

jcpenny said:
If i was a Russian Hockey fan I'd be pissed! So much politics everytime, they make it look like representing your country isnt that important, we got it good in the U.S. A stupid war between cry babies and its the fans over the world and especially Russians who pay for it. I'm tired of this crap.

Your location says you're in Montreal.

RoyIsALegend*

jcpenny said:
i think this sentence was messed up, i meant that Russian players make it seem like they dont care cuz they got it good in the U.S., their new home.

Oh, you meant like you were talking as one of them "we got it good in the U.S."

Now I understand.

Merci. ;)

Zetterberg4Captain*

DayWalk3r said:
as for now, Sweden has 4 players among Top-9 in pointscoring, 3 among the Top-10 in +/- and 1 goalie that top's the Goalie-stats. :yo:

As for now most teams have only played 8 games so why does it matter?
:dunno:

Iginla for Mayor

Sep 7, 2005
young talent?

In a few years Russia will have the better forwards compared to Canada with Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Frolov, Semin and Zherdev

Don't get me wrong... that is an extremely talented group of young players.
But to say Russia has a better core of young players is a bit ridiculous:

Nash
Thorton
Lecavalier
Heatley
Crosby
Richards
Carter
Perry
Getzlaf
Gagne
Marleau
Ryder
Spezza
Tanguay
Staal
Phanuef
Boynton
Bouwmeester
Seabrooke
Barker
Raycroft
Luongo
Ward

and the list could be bigger! SO EAT CROW! :yo:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Iginla for Mayor said:
In a few years Russia will have the better forwards compared to Canada with Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Frolov, Semin and Zherdev

Don't get me wrong... that is an extremely talented group of young players.
But to say Russia has a better core of young players is a bit ridiculous:

Nash
Thorton
Lecavalier
Heatley
Crosby
Richards
Carter
Perry
Getzlaf
Gagne
Marleau
Ryder
Spezza
Tanguay
Staal
Phanuef
Boynton
Bouwmeester
Seabrooke
Barker
Raycroft
Luongo
Ward

and the list could be bigger! SO EAT CROW! :yo:

You could start by deleting D-men and goalies from your list as the guy was talking about forwards. Also, his list was far from exhaustive.

Iginla for Mayor

Sep 7, 2005
You could start by deleting D-men and goalies from your list as the guy was talking about forwards. Also, his list was far from exhaustive.

your right... his post was about forwards....
i guess i should take out d and goalies... that still leaves 15 forwards who either already are, or are soon to be elite talents in the NHL. their are still a lot of good players not mentioned on that list.

As i said, Russia has talent. Especially that group of young forwards mentioned. However, one can never compare depth with Canada. To say that Russia will have better forwards in a few years!

Just compare the ones he mentioned to the ones I mentioned:

Thorton > Kovalchuk. ... Kovalchuk = better scorer... thorton = better overall player
Crosby < Ovechkin now.... but crosby will be better in a year or so!
Heatley >>>>>> Malking
Nash > Frolov
Spezza > Semin
Gagne > Zherdev

That still leaves Staal, Ryder, Richards, Carter, Perry, Getzlaf, Tanguay, Marleau ect.ect.ect.

:sarcasm:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I've always had a lot of fun with that scientific approach to hockey used at HF.

X > Y

X - Y > 0

- Y > - X

... and this proves that Canada's defense is the best :D

greatwhite101*

Iginla for Mayor said:

i guess i should take out d and goalies... that still leaves 15 forwards who either already are, or are soon to be elite talents in the NHL. their are still a lot of good players not mentioned on that list.

As i said, Russia has talent. Especially that group of young forwards mentioned. However, one can never compare depth with Canada. To say that Russia will have better forwards in a few years!

Thorton > Kovalchuk. ... Kovalchuk = better scorer... thorton = better overall player
Heatley >>>>>> Malking
Nash > Frolov
Spezza > Semin
Gagne > Zherdev

That still leaves Staal, Ryder, Richards, Carter, Perry, Getzlaf, Tanguay, Marleau ect.ect.ect.

Well at least you didn't compare centers to goalies....

DayWalk3r

YouTube Guru
Sep 13, 2005
Northern Hemisphere
Iginla for Mayor said:

Heatley >>>>>> Malking
Nash > Frolov
Spezza > Semin
Gagne > Zherdev

while you're at it, who is "Thorton" anyway? :dunno:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is such a lame argument. Everyone knows that any team can beat any other team on any night. I don't mean to join the dogpile on you, RoyIsALegend, but I imagine that you thought last season that your Avs would "steamroll" the Wild in the 2nd round. Not only did the Avs not steamroll them; they lost to them. There are too many other examples to name. Having more skill than your opponent means something, but it's not everything. There's also teamwork and hard work. Some people need to quit letting pride and national sensitivity get in the way.

I'll leave you with Belarus (wasn't it?) who had only a single NHLer on their roster and were still playing in '02 while teams with far more NHLers were on the plane home.

Alfons

May 3, 2004
There are still more good russian forwards than those six i mentioned, for example Samsonov, Datsuyk, Afinogenov, Perezhogin, Grigorenko,A. Radulov, Chistov (still great potental), Kaigorodov, Svitov. And a team usually only have about 13 forwards....

And when comparing players, who to decide which to compare? One could go like this:

Kovalchuk>Heatley
Ovechkin>Crosby
Zherdev=Nash
Malkin<Thornton, but in 1 or 2 years, Malkin>Thornton
Frolov<Gagne, soon, Frolov>Gagne
and so on....

greatwhite101*

Iginla for Mayor said:

Heatley >>>>>> Malking
Nash > Frolov
Spezza > Semin
Gagne > Zherdev

I think you forgot to mention this one...

Quinn > Putin

Here is a pair of ( o )Y( o ) just for the hell of it

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Alfons said:
There are still more good russian forwards than those six i mentioned, for example Samsonov, Datsuyk, Afinogenov, Perezhogin, Grigorenko,A. Radulov, Chistov (still great potental), Kaigorodov, Svitov. And a team usually only have about 13 forwards....

And when comparing players, who to decide which to compare? One could go like this:

Kovalchuk>Heatley
Ovechkin>Crosby
Zherdev=Nash
Malkin<Thornton, but in 1 or 2 years, Malkin>Thornton
Frolov<Gagne, soon, Frolov>Gagne
and so on....

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad