Russia announces full coaching staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
At today's early morning briefing, the Russian hockey federation named its full coaching staff for the 2004 World Cup.

General manager - Igor Tuzik

Head coach - Zinetula Bilyaletdinov

Assistant coaches - Vladimir Yurzinov, Valeri Belousov ; Sergei Nemchinov might be included later on.

[Viktor Tikhonov officially becomes Russia's head coach for all other International events until 2006, including the senior and junior national teams.]

A few words on Zinetula Bilyaletdinov :

A former player - defenseman - for the Soviet Union (1980, 1984 Olympic Games - 1976, 1981, 1984 Canada Cup ), 49 year-old Bilyaledtinov was the head coach of Dynamo Moscow from 1997-1999, 2002-2004. He was an assistant coach for Team Russia at the 1998 Olympics and the 1999 and 2000 World Championships.
In the mid-90's Bilyaletdinov worked as an assistant coach for the Winnipeg Jets of the NHL, and in 2000-2001 he worked for the Chicago Blackhawks and coached Swiss club Lugano.

The team's roster will be announced by May 31st.

Last edited:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
No Fetisov? :banghead:

Don't you understand that Colin Powell couldn't be USA's coach if they asked him to?

Fetisov is a minister of the Russian government, he can't coach!!!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
wilka91 said:
Fetisov is a minister of the Russian government, he can't coach!!!

Uh....wtf? What exactly is his job.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
go kim johnsson said:
Uh....wtf? What exactly is his job.

Fetisov is Russia's sports minister. He's tight with Pres. Vladimir Putin and commands a huge amount of power in the Russian sports world. Fetisov has actually said that getting such an important government position is the only thing that kept him from accepting an NHL coaching job.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
k

i think you guys are a bit too stuck on BIG NAMES when it comes to players and coaches picked. sometimes its the little guys, like FEDOTENKO, who really get the job done. same goes for coaches...so what if there is no FETISOV? did FETISOV do anything special at the OLYMPICS? not really.
here's an article about new head coach they just picked
http://cgi.canoe.ca/99WorldJuniors/dec29_raw.html
there are a few positives to this guy.
1. he has played for TEAM RUSSIA before
2. he has been an assistant coach for NHL teams so he knows how they play in the NHL and i'm sure he knows something about NHL players from other countries.
3. he was a DEFENSEMAN so hopefullly he will preach defense to this TEAM RUSSIA.
4. he has had success coaching DYNAMO MOSCOW and developing guys like ANTROPOV into NHL-type players.
5. i have a feeling he was behind their pick of ZUBRUS, who i feel is a great choice since he has size and has played a bit on the checking line for WASHINGTON.
6. most of all, no matter what he does, he will do better than TIKHONOV...and i think he'll do MUCH better...not saying 1st place, but respectable play at least

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
No one here wanted Tikhonov and I think we're relieved to have Beleletdinov.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
2forsbergaura1 said:
i think you guys are a bit too stuck on BIG NAMES when it comes to players and coaches picked. sometimes its the little guys, like FEDOTENKO, who really get the job done. same goes for coaches...so what if there is no FETISOV? did FETISOV do anything special at the OLYMPICS? not really.
here's an article about new head coach they just picked
http://cgi.canoe.ca/99WorldJuniors/dec29_raw.html
there are a few positives to this guy.

3. he was a DEFENSEMAN so hopefullly he will preach defense to this TEAM RUSSIA.

good point ´........... i think we will never see a Kovalchuk - Datsyk - Afinogenov Line :)

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
wilka91 said:
Head coach - Zinetula Bilyaledtinov
This might sound dumb, but I watched the "Miracle" movie twice this past week. And isn't Bilyaledtinov mentioned quite a few times during the US-Soviet game? Same guy, right? Why am I even asking these things? Oh right, boredom.
:shakehead

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
So this man was this year Dynamo‘s coach?
Mmmh.. after a WCH where team Russia had big troubles scoring one goal despite featuring great forwards they go with the coach of the most struggling team in Europe as for goal scoring.
Frankly it doesn‘t sound promising...

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
At least he's got coaching experience in the NHL ... with the Winnipeg Jets ... doesn't sound promising :lol

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Zinetula B. played for USSR at the 1980 and 1984 Olympic Games. He also a member of the USSR roster at 3 Canada cups.

He has been Ovechkin's coach since to years with Moscow Dynamo and the latter said many times that he owns a lot to Bilyaletdinov and has great respect for him.

This nomination was a great new for Ovechkin... and the fans as we will have the chance to see him play against NHLers as soon as next August.

Last edited:

Gaborik10

Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
paul99 said:
Zinetula B. played for USSR at the 1980 and 1984 Olympic Games. He also a member of the USSR roster at 3 Canada cups.

He has been Ovechkin's coach since to years with Moscow Dynamo and the latter said many times that he owns a lot to Bilyaletdinov and has great respect for him.

This nomination was a great new for Ovechkin... and the fans as we will have the chance to see him play against NHLers as soon as next August.

I can't wait.

Now I just hope they don't rip him off the roster...anything in possible in Russian hockey.

Last edited:

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
so what if Dynamo could not score goals? goals is not everything and dynamo doesnt exactly have a Fedorov on their team. as long as this guy can preach some defense on TEAM RUSSIA,they'll be fine ...they have the guys to score

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
2forsbergaura1 said:
so what if Dynamo could not score goals? goals is not everything and dynamo doesnt exactly have a Fedorov on their team. as long as this guy can preach some defense on TEAM RUSSIA,they'll be fine ...they have the guys to score
They had the guys to score in the last WCH too..

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
It's all about the chemistry.

If the team's success was equal to the sum of its players, some countries wouldn't even be playing at the World Cup.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
wilka91 said:
At least he's got coaching experience in the NHL ... with the Winnipeg Jets ... doesn't sound promising :lol
According to today's Tampa Tribune, he was with Winnipeg through the move to Phoenix:

The Russian national hockey team replaced former coach Viktor Tikhonov with Zinetula Bilyaletdinov, a former assistant with Winnipeg and Phoenix when Lightning G Nikolai Khabibulin played there. The move is expected to solidify Khabibulin's spot on the team for the World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->