Russ Conway Article -- How Dare You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

cleduc said:
I think Conway has usually been a terrific hockey writer but there were a few significant flaws in that article today.

For instance, his comments on the Levitt effort are flawed in my opinion. The front page of his letter to Bettman stated flat out that it was a "review" which is an accounting term for looking over the books - quite different from a claim of an overall audit of the books. It was stated up front what Levittt did and what he didn't do. But Levitt's summary letter went on to describe the auditing that was done in the particular revenue areas that were in question with the NHLPA - thousands of hours of it by independent auditing firms. As that document has been on the NHL site since it's release, no one has hidden behind what it was not. Those who are familiar in the area knew what it was.

Re-read what he said. He accused Bettman of misrepresenting the report as a "super audit" - it is not even a regular audit or a baby audit. Bettman knew full well that 99.9% of the people would never actually read and analyse the report so he misrepresented it and he also misrepresented what the figures showed.
http://www.nhlcbanews.com/transcripts/pressConfSep15.html

Conway was one of the few sports journalists who actually took the time to read and anlayse the report along with help from accounting and auditing professionals - something Levitt is not.

Wetcoaster

mooseOAK said:
That's nice and all but Conway's job depends on having a good relationship with the players and I would be willing to bet that he is a member of a union also.
Can you say AD HOMINEM ARGUMENT?????

Actually I believe he is in management at his newspaper. But so what, practically every reporter is a union member?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I love all the appeals to authority here. "He was once nominated for a Pulitzer, so *this* article must be the golden shining TRUTH". Sorry, it doesn't work that way. When he wins the Pulitzer for this article, let me know.

Everything is judged on it's own. Good writers can and often do write bad articles. Even the opposite is true, a hack like Strachan has occasionally come up with a good article.

mooseOAK*

Wetcoaster said:

Actually I believe he is in management at his newspaper. But so what, practically every reporter is a union member?
Nothing against him, just pointing out that Conway has a job to do and spends most of his time with players and not the owners. Heck, he might even like the players he deals with.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
One sentence translantion of the article: "Bettman is bad man because he won't cave in to the players and start the season."

Clearly a frustrated rant by someone favouring the players. But hey we are all frustrated at this point.

SENSible1*

vanlady said:
I even respected this guy in 94 when I was pro owner. Before you pass to much judgement I suggest you go and find out what Russ Conway went through to expose Eagleson.

I made no comment on Conway.

SENSible1*

Wetcoaster said:
If you read his proposed CBA you might have adifferent opinion.

I've read his proposed CBA and pointed out the numerous flaws which make it impractical and unworkable.

Once again, you assume that everyone who is "informed" will conform with your opinion. Your constant condesention is an unwelcome aspect of your posting.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Wetcoaster said:

If he's management, he's not union. But depending on that particularly paper's structure, he may or may not be considered management. His titile - associate editor - may be meaningless in regards as to whether he actually manages people.
Regardless, there is no newspaperr union. There is a newspaper guild to which only about 115 newspaper staffs belong.

Anyhow, Russ Conway has excellent credentials. But this was far from one of his better pieces.

A Good Flying Bird*

mooseOAK said:
I find it amazing that so many people think that the NHLPA's one and only proposal was the perfect one that addressed the goals of both sides.

I don't know anyone who thinks it was a perfect proposal.
I do think the owners missed a chance to save the season by responding to it in a meaningless way.
As one who believes a tough luxury tax will do more for the league and its players than a hard cap (salary floor? WHat good is that for the small market owners? A luxury tax would drag down salaries and help the small market teams).

Anyway, the players offer had enough to negotiate from.
If the owners would have taken the luxury tax concept and blown up the numbers, we might be playing hockey right now.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:
Re-read what he said. He accused Bettman of misrepresenting the report as a "super audit" - it is not even a regular audit or a baby audit. Bettman knew full well that 99.9% of the people would never actually read and analyse the report so he misrepresented it and he also misrepresented what the figures showed.
http://www.nhlcbanews.com/transcripts/pressConfSep15.html

Conway was one of the few sports journalists who actually took the time to read and anlayse the report along with help from accounting and auditing professionals - something Levitt is not.

I disagree. The long history of core concern or core disagreement between the two parties has always been in revenues. The remark taken out of context can come off as incorrect. Within the context of Bettman's statement, the fact that 30 independent teams (some made up of more than one business), each with unique and some with complex business structures plus the NHL itself was involved for audit, it was "super". It was a "super audit" of the revenues of all those organizations within the context of Bettman's statement. It was performed by a chief accounting firm directed by Levitt and 30 other independent accounting firms/groups directed by Levitt & his chief accounting firm - again a "super" auditing team focused on the revenue investigation. Thousands of man hours were spent auditing the revenues (THE ISSUE IN DISPUTE) by accountants. It was an absolutely extraordinary undertaking. I have yet to hear of a better suggestion on how it could have been done under the circumstances Bettman faced.

The Levitt summary outlined what was audited under that accounting review. When salaries came in at 73% or whatever of expenses and are very publicly known - obviously well know by the NHLPA, how much inflation of other expenses do you figure the NHL was up to ? A rhetorical question requiring no accounting audit for the answer when the salaries were such a high proportion of expense and expenses not in dispute. But because they didn’t look in auditing detail at the expense area - again because it was not in dispute, they had to call it "a review" of the overall NHL. Meanwhile. Bettman told us about a "super audit" of the issue in dispute - which is what was really important and the addressed the essence of the problem.

I could understand people who wanted to write up something about Levitt not necessarily getting through all the details of the report but there is no excuse for not digesting the summary letter written by Levitt at the top of the report that outlines what they did and what they didn't do in terms many could understand.

As I've seen happen to even some of your posts here, anyone can dissect what someone is saying and make it appear wrong by eliminating 99% of the text around it or supporting it. But when they do, they really have not made a point. One may attempt to bicker over the use of the terminology by Bettman as Conway apparently is but it is so trivial compared to what took place, it shouldn’t be taken seriously.

It was Levitt's numbers that Bettman presented with Levitt's report - not numbers the NHL produced. It was when Bettman's invitation to the NHLPA to audit his books or meet with Levitt on his findings was declined by the NHLPA that the NHLPA credibility suffered gravely on the issue.

I’ve enjoyed and benefited from many of Conway’s articles over the years but this one falls short for me.

Wetcoaster

cleduc said:
I disagree. The long history of core concern or core disagreement between the two parties has always been in revenues. The remark taken out of context can come off as incorrect. Within the context of Bettman's statement, the fact that 30 independent teams (some made up of more than one business), each with unique and some with complex business structures plus the NHL itself was involved for audit, it was "super". It was a "super audit" of the revenues of all those organizations within the context of Bettman's statement. It was performed by a chief accounting firm directed by Levitt and 30 other independent accounting firms/groups directed by Levitt & his chief accounting firm - again a "super" auditing team focused on the revenue investigation. Thousands of man hours were spent auditing the revenues (THE ISSUE IN DISPUTE) by accountants. It was an absolutely extraordinary undertaking. I have yet to hear of a better suggestion on how it could have been done under the circumstances Bettman faced.

The Levitt summary outlined what was audited under that accounting review. When salaries came in at 73% or whatever of expenses and are very publicly known - obviously well know by the NHLPA, how much inflation of other expenses do you figure the NHL was up to ? A rhetorical question requiring no accounting audit for the answer when the salaries were such a high proportion of expense and expenses not in dispute. But because they didn’t look in auditing detail at the expense area - again because it was not in dispute, they had to call it "a review" of the overall NHL. Meanwhile. Bettman told us about a "super audit" of the issue in dispute - which is what was really important and the addressed the essence of the problem.

I could understand people who wanted to write up something about Levitt not necessarily getting through all the details of the report but there is no excuse for not digesting the summary letter written by Levitt at the top of the report that outlines what they did and what they didn't do in terms many could understand.

As I've seen happen to even some of your posts here, anyone can dissect what someone is saying and make it appear wrong by eliminating 99% of the text around it or supporting it. But when they do, they really have not made a point. One may attempt to bicker over the use of the terminology by Bettman as Conway apparently is but it is so trivial compared to what took place, it shouldn’t be taken seriously.

It was Levitt's numbers that Bettman presented with Levitt's report - not numbers the NHL produced. It was when Bettman's invitation to the NHLPA to audit his books or meet with Levitt on his findings was declined by the NHLPA that the NHLPA credibility suffered gravely on the issue.

I’ve enjoyed and benefited from many of Conway’s articles over the years but this one falls short for me.

Bettman used the phrase "super audit" a number of times. It was not a mistake or taken out of context. You were supposed to believe it was an audit - it was not as Russ Conway also points out. It was not an audit in any sense known to the accounting profession. Unless "super" means "NOT AN"

That is not surprising since Levitt is not an accredited professional accountant or auditor. That is why his name is on the report and not a professional who would have to answer to his or her professional body.

Conway earlier critiqued Bettman and Levitt:
Bettman has repeatedly referred to the report as "a superaudit," implying its findings can be taken to the bank.

In fact, it is not an audit.

Levitt himself calls the report an "independent review."

Richard Delgaudio, a professor of accounting and auditing at Merrimack College in North Andover who is a certified public accountant and nationally known lecturer on accounting, explained the difference between an audit and a review.

"An audit implies that you look at documentation and source documentation," he said. "A review is when you just kind of look things over to see if it seems right."

Delgaudio is one of several experts who examined the Levitt report for The Eagle-Tribune. They did not question the work that went into the findings, but said the report was clearly not an audit, let alone a superaudit.

"If anybody calls this a superaudit, you give them my number," said Nelson Blinn, a 36-year certified public accountant from Haverhill and member of the Banknorth auditing committee. "This is absolutely, unconditionally not an audit. To pass it off as one is nonsense."

The Levitt report largely relies on audited financial reports supplied by the NHL teams themselves.

Blinn said that was "another area of concern."

"If you're an accountant working for a team or working for a company related in some way with the team, you're working for the same owner. That's who pays you, so you've got his best interests in mind."

Blinn said if an independent auditor did the work, "dollars to doughnuts, you'd get altogether different numbers."
http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20050102/FP_001.htm

But the most searching review which pointed out that Bettman mis-stated the numbers as did Levitt is in this critique:

In a recent issue of The Hockey News, Bill Daly defended the Arthur Levitt report by asking all critics to read it first. Perhaps Daly should've asked his boss Gary Bettman to read it first -- Bettman, in the news conference introducing the report, said, "Actually, we thought the percentage of gross revenue taken up by player salaries was 76%, he [Levitt] said 75%."

Actually, he said no such thing. Levitt said 75% of net revenue, not gross revenue, goes toward total player costs, not just salaries. These are significant differences. What the NHL calls net revenue (a measure it invented all for itself that comes closest to what everyone calls gross profit) is gross revenue net of direct costs -- except for player salaries, as direct a cost as there is for a hockey operation. Other costs, such as travel expenses, insurance, social security, and the like, make up part of the 75% Bettman incorrectly called "player salaries" -- Levitt even includes minor league salaries, which would be fine if minor league revenues were included, but they were not.

Actually, I take it back -- Levitt didn't write "gross revenue" but he did say it. When asked quite plainly during the press conference introducing his report, "Can you tell me what the gross revenues of the League actually equal," Levitt responded, "two billion". But he probably just misspoke in the heat of the Q and A.

And the very next question? "Can you tell me what comes under the universe of player costs? I assume that's more than just what they are paying in salary." Deferring to his lieutenant Lynn Turner, the response was, "salary and bonuses, benefits and other payments including pension benefits, CBA monies, those are the type of costs that are all included in the player costs." No mention of travel expenses, insurance payments for injured players, minor league salaries, NHL award payments (that's part of what he meant by "CBA monies") -- those might have prompted additional questions.

The truth is, the NHL doesn't want anyone to read the report, and doesn't expect anyone to. The whole world parrots their net revenue of $1.996 billion, player costs of $1.494 billion, and the 75% ratio between the two without understanding of what those terms mean. The NHL even created its own web site for CBA issues that quotes Daly's letter to THN challenging critics to read Levitt's report, the transcript of Bettman's introductory press conference with its misstatement about player cost ratio, the transcript of Levitt's introductory press conference with its misstatement about gross revenues, and the full report itself.
Look at any financial report for any company in the world, and you will not see anything resembling what the NHL calls net revenue (you'll find reports that show net revenue in the sense of net sales). Every other company in the world wants to maximize revenue, and then account for cost, not understate revenues and overstate a single expense category, as the NHL does for public consumption (their actual books have still not been scrutinized in full by anyone, including Levitt).

No surprise, despite his so-called independence, that Levitt came within $12 million of the league's own loss declaration and within 1% of its player cost ratio. But me, I'm a diehard skeptic, especially when nearly a hundred owners each worth hundreds of millions or billions of dollars cry poverty over less than $300 million -- less than the total amount they kicked in to help themselves weather a lockout. So I read the report, in detail (even before Daly exhorted me to -- my article originally started with the sixth paragraph, the others prepended in response to Daly). And I read other documents the report refers to, such as the NBA and NFL Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBAs).

And I hate to say it, but I come away believing Levitt has performed a conscious, if completely legitimate, sleight of hand, designed first, last, and always to support the NHL's claims, not test them.
http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.com/dubi/2004/03/reading_compreh.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad