Line Combos: Run with Skinner and put Campbell on the back burner

Is @Shaquille Oatmeal still a virgin?

• Total voters

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Even if Skinner is defacto number one, you still have to manage the guys workload.

He can play maybe 3 games in a row then his game seems to drop off a bit. That being said, playing 2 of 3, or 3 of 4 games isn't a bad rotation for a number one.

Just please God don't try to play him 10games in a row. That's how you wear a guy out and then the haters come out with the knives to run him out of town.

Play Skinner the 45-50(games played)/37-32 (games off) and he'll be better for it

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
They so badly want Campbell to magically figure it out they are just giving skinner the finger and gifting soup starts. I would take the approach that he has to actually earn that starting spot back. He should be playing at max every 2nd game. Would actually go 1/3 for now.

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Play who is hot and if mediocre in your last game, next.
This.

For all said about Campbell needing to get in many starts to "get hot", that is a recipe for disaster in the playoffs. He is going to have to learn how to hone in without getting playing time, he and the team will be better for it, because Skinner needs starts too, and may give the team better chances to win overall this season.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Goalies are not going to look good given we have one of the worst defences in the entire league. Hasek would look like Talbot.

Skinner is clearly a superior goalie from every available metric or aspect of goaltending. Goalies have bad games periodically, and goalies behind terrible defences have bad games more often than that.

There is no reason for Campbell to be getting starts unless Skinner is overworked.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Hopefully Rodrigue keeps up his play in Bakersfield and displaces hack Campbell as a backup too. Would allow us to come up with some fake Hossa/kucherov type reason to LTIRetire him and open up like 4 million cap space.

You guys do realize Skinner shit the bed last game.
Jack Campbell shit the bed every game besides the st Louis and Tampa games.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Earlier in the year I would have said let campbell play through it but Skinner is just the better goalie so far this season and you gotta play whoever gives you the best chance to win.

100% right now Skinner gives the Oilers the best chance to win. The Oilers need both Skinner and Campbell playing games. So manage the workload with SKinner being considered the better option at the moment.

I'd go Skinner against Florida. Campbell against Chicago then come back with Skinner against Minnesota.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I wanted Kuemper or Husso last year. I didn't know as much about Campbell but was willing to give him a shot.

I think there is probably a decent goalie there but he does need to get his shit together. The second goal last night was like the 3rd time this year an opponent has banked a shot off the back of Campbell, who was out of position, to score a goal.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
They so badly want Campbell to magically figure it out they are just giving skinner the finger and gifting soup starts. I would take the approach that he has to actually earn that starting spot back. He should be playing at max every 2nd game. Would actually go 1/3 for now.
I don't see this situation as them "giving Skinner the finger" as he's already started 9 games this season.

They really need Campbell to get up and running especially if they plan on moving him at some point before they have to resign Skinner.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We need both guys going and unless Skinner continues to blow the doors off, we have to manage his workload to keep his confidence high as well. If we throw Campbell under the bus and then Skinner struggles and we keep going back to him we could ruin the career of a very promising homegrown keeper. Lastly, we will be in a world of shit if Skinner has an epic year and we don't win the cup because he will be getting PAID with at least the Oettinger contract on a bridge.

syder

Sep 4, 2008
Skinner doesn't need to blow the door off, his bad game once in a while is still better than Campbell suck every game.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I don't see this situation as them "giving Skinner the finger" as he's already started 9 games this season.

They really need Campbell to get up and running especially if they plan on moving him at some point before they have to resign Skinner.

Playing Campbell multiple games in a row when he is mediocre to poor I think is a middle finger to Skinner.

One comparison that comes to mind is Ullmark and Swayman last year. Ullmark played pretty bad to start the year. Swayman played great and that was kinda it. Ullmark lost the starting spot, and had to duke it out with Swayman and earn that starting spot back. After a summer to really get his game back...well, I regret not taking him again in my pool. gd it.

Honestly might take all year for Campbell to get his crap together. Could be asking for a world of hurt to try to force it. I'm not a fan of just letting him get pounded over and over while we have a goalie that is playing better sitting out multiple games in a row. I personally think forcing him to get the spot back on merit is the better way to go, not just automatic chances because of his contract.

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
I remember back a couple of years ago (3 years ago?) when the Islanders had their really good, really unexpected regular season, Barry Trotz implemented this weird and very strict goalie rotation which saw Varlamov and Griess take every other game, no matter what. It actually worked really, really well for them - keep both guys sharp, less fatigue, and I would imagine there is some protection of a fragile ego in there too, in that if you s*** the bed, you know you're not being punished when other guy starts the next game, and you know you'll get a shot again in the game after that.

Honestly, I take the point of the posters saying "need to play the guy who gives you the best chance of winning" and there's logic in that. Except that if Skinner's that guy right now, (1) at some point you have to manage his time anyway, and (2) you can pretty much kiss Jack's confidence goodbye if you just anoint Skinner. Campbell's here for years.

Basically, if it worked for Barry Trotz, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Oh for the days of me being a Leaf fan and them having a 3 man rotation of Doug Favelle, Eddie Johnston and Dunc Wilson. I call those the good old days.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
With the way both goalies are playing Skinner should get two of the next three. Skinner tonight. Campbell against Chicago on Wednesday then Skinner again on Thursday against Minnesota.

Then you re-examine your rotation.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Didn't everyone want Smith to retire or LTIR last year and mock Holland when he said "gotta get Smitty up and running"? If we just went with Kostco and some Skinnerwe probably wouldn't have made the playoffs or gone on a run.

HFans have zero patience and severe amnesia.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Didn't everyone want Smith to retire or LTIR last year and mock Holland when he said "gotta get Smitty up and running"?

I don't know one person who thought Smith should LTIRetire because they wanted to make Koskinen the uncontested #1.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I don't know one person who thought Smith should LTIRetire because they wanted to make Koskinen the uncontested #1.
What? They were running him out of town so unless we were trading for a goalie it would have been Kostco and Skinner.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
I'm rootin' for Campbell to fine tune his game into the standard he's used to playing, the entire city is

But man, just watched round two playoffs again (showing American extended family Oilers/McDavid highights), do I ever miss Mike Smith's battle level, especially at 40 yrs old. His battle level and compete is almost levels above Jack, right now. Especially his puck handling, he was like a 3rd defenseman, every game. Imagine we had Smitty in his prime today, instead of a wasted career in the desert

Everyone, including me, wanted that top 10 goalie in his prime, waiting for Smith to retire. We didn't realize what we had. Even last year, when he came back from injury, the team turned a corner again.
I'm so glad he got to mentor Skinner. You can see a little bit of Smitty in Stu's game. His puck handling and battle level has dramatically improved over the years, and I think Mike Smith was a prime influence in that transition

Jack Campbell is for sure a kind 'great human being' according to his former and current teammates, we're rootin' for him to return to 21-22 form. But Mike Smith's leadership, compete and passion is unmatched and greatly missed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad