Speculation: Rumours & Trade & Free Agent Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You’re stretching hard now Mort, if you call asking people for their ideas and then saying step up with your ideas is some how “demanding an answer or in the absence of an answer stop posting”........massive stretch there. Asking a fellow adult (assumption) for his opinion is now demanding.....wow. Much better we sit around and post mindless throw away posts complaining about everything under the sun then actually have some intelligent conversation. Good lord.....

Again if your frustrated fan that has no clue how to improve things......that’s fine....just say so no one will judge you. If you have opinions how to improve things post them and let’s discuss. I threw out my idea of a new coach and when it should be done ideally. The whole intent of the site is for discussion.......

I found the tone of your posts on the subject very much demanding. I don't think you went so far as to say stop posting. But you did say that posters who couldn't come up with alternatives were putting no thought behind their opinions. You characterize their posts as "throw aways".

Ok who would the intern coach be? Who would you target this summer?

Let’s hear ideas.......not blanket copy paste statements that require zero thought.....I gave my coaching target.

You tie the validity of complaining about the coach to having alternatives. You have one. That one is almost certainly unavailable.

But why should you expect posters on a fan forum to have in depth knowledge of the pool of possible coaches? I have zero knowledge of the subject. Why should that somehow invalidate my desire for more effective coaching? I suspect that your knowledge is only slightly better than mine, but I could certainly be wrong there.

That’s my main point, I see a lot of complaining about a coach without any good realistic suggestions how to replace him mid season or if it’s even realistic to replace him mid season. Damn if we were able to hire Keefe I would literally be fist pumping the guys in the office

When I say that I am unhappy with the coaching and want change for specific reasons it is not a mindless, throw away post. The fact that I don't keep a list of available replacement coaches has no bearing on that. Where am I supposed to acquire the information to make such a list?

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yep, time to accept that is a lost season and move on. The window appears to be closed atleast temporarily. No need to try to force things to jar that thing open, you'll likely end up breaking the glass and create a mess that will take longer to fix.

Firing Maurice esp when he is on the last year of his contract with this roster doesn't make much sense unless a "can't miss" coach becomes available on the market which is not the case. It makes both financial and practical sense to not even consider firing him at this point.

I understand the POV that it doesn't make sense to fire a coach under these circumstances - and I don't. I won't fall back on the example of last year's Blues because they were in last place with a strong roster on paper. But when the coach is not getting the job done I think it is time to move him. I think that continuing to mis-coach the team is harmful in several ways. If nothing else doesn't it harm the team to keep on pissing off the fan base that pays the bills? How about PO'ing the players who feel they are being misused, denied opportunity and having their careers harmed?

You fire the coach and appoint someone to take over for the rest of the season. You look at the effect, if any of the new guy. You start a search for a permanent replacement.

I don't expect anything to happen on that front. Not because it is mid-season but because Chevy doesn't share my opinion that Maurice should go. Him not having that opinion mean that Maurice won't be let go at the end of the season either. Assuming Maurice is in the last year of his contract we will probably get news of an extension sometime in the next 2-3 months. I think that if Chevy came to the conclusion that Maurice is not the man for the job going forward, he would pull the pin regardless of the point in the season. But with having lost 4 of his top 6 D and all of the injuries Jets have had, I see zero chance of that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Isn't there an all purpose coaching thread? Not sure how this current conversation fits with the scope of this thread.
For the record, in case this gets all moved, I am not unhappy with Mau's work so far. We've had some **** luck with injuries over multiple seasons. I remember the griping and moaning about playoff performances and we find out the actual extent of the teams injuries after the fact. Yes all teams go into games dragging various injuries, it's just how many and how severe.
This year is just really freaking unlucky. Mau has a steep hill to climb, maybe we luck out and hang around a playoff spot long enough to get healthy and have players back for the push.
I feel we will need Chevy to do some magic though and pull a rabbit out of his backside to get everything resolved with Buff and/or a trade D man that steps up in a big way.
I am more concerned about the team make up/build/injuries rather than the coach at this point.
If Mau doesn't have the tools at his disposal then don't be upset when he delivers a french finished polished turd instead of a diamond.

You're right that this conversation belongs in the coaching thread. Which I have been avoiding precisely because I don't feel like having this conversation. :laugh: Not sure how it went this way. I just fell into it.

Maurice has been handed a very difficult situation, no doubt. That is at least partly why he will get a free pass. But a bigger reason that his job is safe is more likely because management is happy with the job he is doing. I don't think Chevy has the problems with Maurice that some of us do.

OK, I think I remember how we got onto this topic in this thread. The roster is not likely to get fixed this year. Along with a laundry list of reasons that no significant trades will be made there is the Buff situation. It has us in limbo. So the only way to get better play this year is a coaching change. If we can't have different players then we have to use the ones we have differently. And here we are.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree, 3rd rd pick or even better yet a prospect of similar value that we don’t positionally need.

Certainly worth a shot with the state of our D. Especially if they don't think Niku's game translates to the NHL. I would try for a '21 3rd rd pick. We are already down a couple of picks in what is supposed to be a very good draft.

Don't know how cheaply Dallas is willing to move him. Surely they must have had some interest from some teams.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
You're right that this conversation belongs in the coaching thread. Which I have been avoiding precisely because I don't feel like having this conversation. :laugh: Not sure how it went this way. I just fell into it.

Maurice has been handed a very difficult situation, no doubt. That is at least partly why he will get a free pass. But a bigger reason that his job is safe is more likely because management is happy with the job he is doing. I don't think Chevy has the problems with Maurice that some of us do.

OK, I think I remember how we got onto this topic in this thread. The roster is not likely to get fixed this year. Along with a laundry list of reasons that no significant trades will be made there is the Buff situation. It has us in limbo. So the only way to get better play this year is a coaching change. If we can't have different players then we have to use the ones we have differently. And here we are.
I don't think a coaching change, makes any difference, that is why I used the Polished Turd analogy.
The current issue is the the roster and injury laundry list... changing the coach and systems would be a zero net gain at this point.
Chevy will make moves this year to correct the roster as much as possible. We have veteran players that want to win now and their window is finite. I suspect once the teams like Buffalo get their Dmen back from injury we may see some movement on Chevy's part to salvage the season.
Who are the potential D targets?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think a coaching change, makes any difference, that is why I used the Polished Turd analogy.
The current issue is the the roster and injury laundry list... changing the coach and systems would be a zero net gain at this point.
Chevy will make moves this year to correct the roster as much as possible. We have veteran players that want to win now and their window is finite. I suspect once the teams like Buffalo get their Dmen back from injury we may see some movement on Chevy's part to salvage the season.
Who are the potential D targets?

I think there is potential for a lot of improvement with different usage. I could be wrong of course. We will likely never find out. At least 55 & 26 may get split up but putting Wheeler at C will negate the improvement. And losing Little again hurts quite a lot.

Potential D targets? Niku.

From Sabres? Risto. That makes us worse, IMO. But Buffalo needs to clear cap space and we can't take on any until the Buff thing is settled. I think that while that is hanging over our heads we are limited to internal moves. If we could take on some cap, I would try to get Miller out of Buffalo. Better fits our needs, IMO.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Correct

Good lord I would laugh, if some people here think PMO is tough on a few young guys........they certainly going to be shocked by Boudreau and his treatment of them.

Say what you want about Boudreau, he gets his team's to perform and perform well. How he dragged Minni to the playoffs with the roster they had was incredible

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Certainly worth a shot with the state of our D. Especially if they don't think Niku's game translates to the NHL. I would try for a '21 3rd rd pick. We are already down a couple of picks in what is supposed to be a very good draft.

Don't know how cheaply Dallas is willing to move him. Surely they must have had some interest from some teams.

Reports were they wanted a 3rd pick only, seems low offer to me for a former 1st rd pick but we don’t know what’s gone on behind the scenes.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I still wish the Jets would take a flyer on Honka if he could be had for a 3rd round pick could help are d D a lot with break outs
There is no need for a team to trade for a mid round pick at this point in the season. The draft is 8 months away and GMs are more willing to up the draft currency as the TD approaches. GMs would be selling low to take a draft pick offer now.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Say what you want about Boudreau, he gets his team's to perform and perform well. How he dragged Minni to the playoffs with the roster they had was incredible

Don’t read into my post what I didn’t say, he would likely be my 2nd pick after Keefe. I was just saying people complain about PMO and how he treats young players with a bit of tough love and favours vets often.......they would hate Boudreau even more for the exact same reasons. Same goes for Babcock (if he gets fired) who is even more extreme then PMO.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I found the tone of your posts on the subject very much demanding. I don't think you went so far as to say stop posting. But you did say that posters who couldn't come up with alternatives were putting no thought behind their opinions. You characterize their posts as "throw aways".

You tie the validity of complaining about the coach to having alternatives. You have one. That one is almost certainly unavailable.

But why should you expect posters on a fan forum to have in depth knowledge of the pool of possible coaches? I have zero knowledge of the subject. Why should that somehow invalidate my desire for more effective coaching? I suspect that your knowledge is only slightly better than mine, but I could certainly be wrong there.

When I say that I am unhappy with the coaching and want change for specific reasons it is not a mindless, throw away post. The fact that I don't keep a list of available replacement coaches has no bearing on that. Where am I supposed to acquire the information to make such a list?

Im trying to spur meaningful & real conversation on either coaching change or trades that could help the team. I clearly stated for posters to use their knowledge albeit it limited on the subject to answer it the best they can, never did I say I’m only looking for expert or insider information that none of us process. Saying your unhappy is fine, saying your unhappy a 1000 times is pointless and technically becomes spam posts on the forum and just populate the board. So let’s try to have meaningful & real conversation on the matter........shouldn’t that be what we’re always trying to do?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Don’t read into my post what I didn’t say, he would likely be my 2nd pick after Keefe. I was just saying people complain about PMO and how he treats young players with a bit of tough love and favours vets often.......they would hate Boudreau even more for the exact same reasons. Same goes for Babcock (if he gets fired) who is even more extreme then PMO.
As is coach Q who many advocated for when he was available.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
As is coach Q who many advocated for when he was available.

Agreed

As a poster & mod who travels between team boards frequently I haven’t seen a single fan base not complain about their coach and his player usage since I joined this forum eight years ago. Complaining about a coach by fans is as common as fans complaining about the refs it seems.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Agreed

As a poster & mod who travels between team boards frequently I haven’t seen a single fan base not complain about their coach and his player usage since I joined this forum eight years ago. Complaining about a coach by fans is as common as fans complaining about the refs it seems.
I guess in your world that means it's not legitimate? this place...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think there is potential for a lot of improvement with different usage. I could be wrong of course. We will likely never find out. At least 55 & 26 may get split up but putting Wheeler at C will negate the improvement. And losing Little again hurts quite a lot.

Potential D targets? Niku.

From Sabres? Risto. That makes us worse, IMO. But Buffalo needs to clear cap space and we can't take on any until the Buff thing is settled. I think that while that is hanging over our heads we are limited to internal moves. If we could take on some cap, I would try to get Miller out of Buffalo. Better fits our needs, IMO.

Scandella is the odd man out in Buffalo right now, and I believe he's a UFA soon. Risto has been much better, and Miller is likely not going anywhere either, at least not for picks.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I'd say for a discussion board, just stuff like "he sucks get rid of him" or "make a trade!" aren't comments that prompt much discussion.

A large majority of fan bases think their coach is the worst, or a player on their team is overpaid, or the GM isnt doing a good job. It's the nature of fandom. I think asking someone what their solution might be isn't out of line, given where we post.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

It’s as legit as fans complaining about refs and coaching ever is.......it’s as predictable as the sun rising every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad