Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Kypreos: OTT & EDM have had Hoffman for Picks/Prospects talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ya I don't buy that one bit. He only said its hard playing here reading stuff, yet he still popped up 50 points

The biggest thing would be RNH. He was a blackhole of offense last year. He did little to create.

No doubt in my mind that Ebs would be having a good year here playing alongside a much improved RNH

The trade was terrible...but not for NYI.. They are a playoff team again

Bailey and Barzal have a lot to do with that. Yes Eberle is helping and doing his part but let's not forget that there are other players playing lights out for them right now.

I do wonder if he would've worked on his skating had he been returning to Edmonton. Good on him for finding his game again, we sure could've used it in the playoffs last year when Kesler was trying to wear McDavid's jersey and skates during play.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Bailey and Barzal have a lot to do with that. Yes Eberle is helping and doing his part but let's not forget that there are other players playing lights out for the right now.

Yup. depth is a wonderful thing. JP playing better isn't forcing us to play Kassian and Letestu in the top 6 anymore

Same goes with their team. They aren't better cuz a few individuals are playing better. They are better cuz their top 6 is more rounded

Snow deserves some credit.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't really see how Edmonton can trade any of Yama/Pulju/1st right now, unless there's someone like Karlsson available.

Quality depth is a real concern on the roster, and with McDavids new contract kicking in next year they'll need quality cheap contract more than ever. You need depth to win in this league in the playoffs.
Yama& Pulju are the only ELC contracts with top6/1st line potential and even Pulju has just 1.5 years left on his ELC. That 1st rounder should be kept to add another potential quality ELC contract and help to balance the cap when the team should be ready for contending years. You don't want to be selling talent year after year to fit under the cap, makes competing real difficult.
This is not the year to go all in with a deadline move.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I don't really see how Edmonton can trade any of Yama/Pulju/1st right now, unless there's someone like Karlsson available.

Quality depth is a real concern on the roster, and with McDavids new contract kicking in next year they'll need quality cheap contract more than ever. You need depth to win in this league in the playoffs.
Yama& Pulju are the only ELC contracts with top6/1st line potential and even Pulju has just 1.5 years left on his ELC. That 1st rounder should be kept to add another potential quality ELC contract and help to balance the cap when the team should be ready for contending years. You don't want to be selling talent year after year to fit under the cap, makes competing real difficult.
This is not the year to go all in with a deadline move.

Agreed. Depth is a concern and will be needed moving forward, similar to the Pens and how they've had to rely on call ups.

I know some of Chiarelli's moves have been terrible, but he can't afford to go crazy this year. I say if he is going to shuffle the roster, wait until the dust has settled when McDavid's contract kicks in and take it from there. That and with the cap going up, it's better to wait.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Nobody said he was better either.
Better look around before you say that. The guy right below you says exactly that.
Someone in the OOT thread has doubled down on his silly notion that Strome is 'miles better' than Eberle.
People may not like Ryan Strome, but he is a cost controlled asset, who can play pretty much anywhere in the lineup and give you a bit of production.
You happy with 'a bit' of production? I'm not.
We didn't win the trade. We were never going to.
No wonder some folks are so eager to give Chiarelli the benefit of the doubt in everything he does.
Here in Edmonton we have fans who accept losing trades badly before they are even done.
With that attitude we may as well just pack up and quit.
Not to mention RNH looks about a hundred times better not having Eberle stapled to him.
And Eberle looks 100x better playing with linemates who have a little creativity.

Last edited:

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
Id love Hoffman. I would give up a decent amount for him.
Id consider Yamo in a deal but I think we would have to get Pageau back also.
Yamo+ Jones+ Strome (salary) for Hoffman+pageau
I don't want to give up

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
Actually possibly another idea.
If Hoffman is available see if we could swing a package for him and Pageau.
Then possibly flip Nuge ( I love him) to Carolina for a Dman ala Faulk or Hanifin

Lucic Mcdavid Pulj
Hoffman Drai slep/stome/caguila
Maroon Pageau slep/strome/caguila
Khaira letestu kass

nurse russel
Sek Faulk
Klef Benning/russel/davidson

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Actually possibly another idea.
If Hoffman is available see if we could swing a package for him and Pageau.
Then possibly flip Nuge ( I love him) to Carolina for a Dman ala Faulk or Hanifin

Lucic Mcdavid Pulj
Hoffman Drai slep/stome/caguila
Maroon Pageau slep/strome/caguila
Khaira letestu kass

nurse russel
Sek Faulk
Klef Benning/russel/davidson

I can't see Carolina be willing to give up too much for RNH.

What would he do to them, how does he help them to take the next level and be better than with Hanifin/Faulk?

Carolina already has Staal, Aho, Lindholm, Rask who can play in the middle and Necas developing elsewhere. They need someone who can drive offense and be a game changer offensively. RNH is too much of what they already have.

Agreed. Depth is a concern and will be needed moving forward, similar to the Pens and how they've had to rely on call ups.

I know some of Chiarelli's moves have been terrible, but he can't afford to go crazy this year. I say if he is going to shuffle the roster, wait until the dust has settled when McDavid's contract kicks in and take it from there. That and with the cap going up, it's better to wait.

Cap hell destroyed the Bruins. They had to give up talent year after year while having an abysmal prospect pool.
At one point I checked that in 7 years of drafting they only had Spooner to show for in the lineup.
Boston didn't have McDavid/Drai contracts in the books either at that point.

So with Edmonton it's more important to make sure prospect pool is healthy and there aren't too many expensive deals on the roster.
It's better to do a well done re-tool year than try to force a contending year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I can't see Carolina be willing to give up too much for RNH.

What would he do to them, how does he help them to take the next level and be better than with Hanifin/Faulk?

Carolina already has Staal, Aho, Lindholm, Rask who can play in the middle and Necas developing elsewhere. They need someone who can drive offense and be a game changer offensively. RNH is too much of what they already have.

Cap hell destroyed the Bruins. They had to give up talent year after year while having an abysmal prospect pool.
At one point I checked that in 7 years of drafting they only had Spooner to show for in the lineup.
Boston didn't have McDavid/Drai contracts in the books either at that point.

So with Edmonton it's more important to make sure prospect pool is healthy and there aren't too many expensive deals on the roster.
It's better to do a well done re-tool year than try to force a contending year.

It seems there's always a paradox. In the dark years, we could not attract free agents, and at the same time we had a hard time developing prospects because we couldn't get those free agent veterans to help them reach their potential. Now, it's that we would like to make the most of our contracts by trading for pieces, but at the same time we can't do that because we can't just add cap dollars, and we really do NEED that good prospect pool. I agree that it's better to just hold onto our picks and have that great prospect pool. Our prospects will have the benefit of playing with good players, and the cap will be challenging for us.

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Ebs is on pace for 32 goals this season, however I agree with some of the other posts in this thread that he would not necessarily be performing at the same level here in Edmonton. Unfortunately, that does not change the return we received for him. I understand that a significant aspect to the trade was a salary dump, but we still could and should have done better than selling while he was performing at an all time low for a player who does not come close in value. Very poor asset management by Chia.

As for Hoffman, I truly hope there is teeth to that rumor. We need a player like him on this team.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Hoffman would be an excellent addition. A outstanding finished for McDs wing and a great shot for the PP. I'd give up a LOT for him at this point, including Yamamoto, Slep, Caggulia, Benson and any of the AHL DMen but not Pulju or the 1st.. (Unless the team picks it up and the pick is in the 12-20 range)...

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I don't know if it's been posted in this thread already but Travis Yost said in his AMA on reddit yesterday that there was an Eberle for Ceci trade on the table earlier but Ottawa wouldn't do it because they liked Ceci too much at the time. Certainly interesting.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't know if it's been posted in this thread already but Travis Yost said in his AMA on reddit yesterday that there was an Eberle for Ceci trade on the table earlier but Ottawa wouldn't do it because they liked Ceci too much at the time. Certainly interesting.
at some point Chia's got to land a player like that. I suppose at least it's good that he's trying

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
What would we have to give up to get him though
I can see that they would want young players, dmen and picks.

Would you move Yamo, 1st and dman prospect for him
I would

It would likely take something like Yamo + 1st rounder to get the conversation started. Not sure I would do that. Especially since it would likely mean having to trade RNH this off-season and not resign Maroon. Hoffman makes 5.6 million, so wouldn't fit into the cap without some sacrifices. Yes, he is a lot better player than Maroon, but he really isn't any better than RNH, and plays left wing (which is our 2nd strongest position after center). So would you be willing to walk away from Maroon, trade RNH for pennies on the dollar (cause that's how Chia rolls), and then also give up Yamo + 1st rounder, all just to get Hoffman, who plays LW? Not me, even though I really like Hoffman as a player.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What would we have to give up to get him though
I can see that they would want young players, dmen and picks.

Would you move Yamo, 1st and dman prospect for him
I would

2019 1st? There's no way in hell that I'm trading the Dahlin lottery ticket AND a top prospect for a winger. Plus there's this thing called the salary cap, the Oilers need to dump salary if they bring in Hoffman. I think the Sens likely ask for Puljujavi+ for Hoffman and that's a no for me.

If the Oilers are dealing prime assets, I want a young puckmoving Dman with high upside, not a winger. Somebody like Hanifin.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
With Nuge's improved play, Ebs would be on the uptrend this year. Don't kid yourself. He's playing good with an actual contributing center. Nuge is that C this year,

Nuge and Ebs together would be boasting terrific #'s this year..derp, derp

Eberle didn't want to be here anymore so your point is moot.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'd love Hoffman ... this team needs shooters seriously bad.

But this team has no depth in its farm system. I think it would be a mistake to deplenish their prospects. I think they could probably afford to lose some d prospects but I wouldnt give up on Yamamoto, Benson, Safin, Maksimov etc yet or their 1st round pick. The teams draft picks have looked good since Chia took over, need to build on it.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
the problems I have for hoffman and it is more then likely just me

1) Hoffman is on 5.1mill for 2 seasons after this--collectively we are looking at the next few seasons and have some understanding that we will be tight against the cap
2) Looks like sens fans are wanting Pool Party, Yamamoto, 1st rounder and or other cheap young stuff for Hoffman--we need to have some good players on cheap contracts
2) We get Hoffman that means Nuge is done and needs to get moved due to the cap wont go up enough

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Holding out hope for Slepy, Benson, Yamamoto, Bear or any of the other prospects or the 1st rounder to turn into a 25+ goals a year LW like Hoffman IS ALREADY is not logical. Fact is many of those players may not skate a shift in the NHL never mind pot 25 goals. This team lacks scoring depth NOW, not in 2-5 years when a few of those prospects could turn into something... maybe... I’d rather ice a great team for the next 2-4 years than hold out hope that ANY of those prospects amount to anything.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
if the Sens retained salary on Hoffman and it didn't cost our top 2 prospects perhaps, otherwise move on.

I'm excited to watch Yamamoto tear up the world juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad