Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Kypreos: OTT & EDM have had Hoffman for Picks/Prospects talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
Let's not forget that Chiarelli squandered a key leverage piece from last summer: the Oilers no longer have being potentially a stanley cup contender in their bag of negotiation tricks. You can drive prices down on UFAs and re-signings if you can offer the chance of a championship. Are guys going to consider signing for less now that the Oilers offer no reasonable prospect for success? Doubt it. Prices just went up. Good thing Chiarelli is banking all that cap space . . .
I agree that this should of been a thing. This last offseason coming off the season we did and becoming the cup favourites we were pegged at he shoulda been able to use that to his advantage but he didn't even do that when it shoulda been the easiest time to do so. Over paid drai by 1-2 mill per year. And over paid Russell in years and dollars. He's a brutal negotiator in contracts and trades.

Reactions: Consultant

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I agree that this should of been a thing. This last offseason coming off the season we did and becoming the cup favourites we were pegged at he shoulda been able to use that to his advantage but he didn't even do that when it shoulda been the easiest time to do so. Over paid drai by 1-2 mill per year. And over paid Russell in years and dollars. He's a brutal negotiator in contracts and trades.

The most important priority last summer was signing Draisaitl and Connor to max contracts. Everything else was secondary. If Chia did nothing else, signing those players made for a successful off-season for him.

Now Draisatl has screwed everything up.

hjghkabsdkc

Nov 17, 2017
The most important priority last summer was signing Draisaitl and Connor to max contracts. Everything else was secondary. If Chia did nothing else, signing those players made for a successful off-season for him.

This is such a low bar.

This is the last year of a cheap McDavid, the fact that he didn't utilize it is embarrassing and pathetic.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Wait what?

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
This is such a low bar.

This is the last year of a cheap McDavid, the fact that he didn't utilize it is embarrassing and pathetic.

Not so. Think back to last summer. There was general panic that there may be a possible offer sheet for Draisaitl or Connor may not want to sign a max contract.

Chia got Connor at a more than fair deal. He had to pay more for Drai, but the two deals evened out. I can remember a great sense of relief after the Connor and Drai max deals were announced.

The problem this year is that while Talbot had a "top 3" in the league season last year, this year he is fallen off. Talbot's last season success has not been repeated. Also, do not forget that there is no Sekera and Klefbom has played poorly. It is certain that there are also intangible factors which are probably serving as distractions in the room.

These last things were not predictable heading into the season (other than Sekera).

Reactions: McCombo

hjghkabsdkc

Nov 17, 2017
Not so. Think back to last summer. There was general panic that there may be a possible offer sheet for Draisaitl or Connor may not want to sign a max contract.

Chia got Connor at a more than fair deal. He had to pay more for Drai, but the two deals evened out. I can remember a great sense of relief after the Connor and Drai max deals were announced.

The problem this year is that while Talbot had a "top 3" in the league season last year, this year he is fallen off. Talbot's last season success has not been repeated. Also, do not forget that there is no Sekera and Klefbom has played poorly. It is certain that there are also intangible factors which are probably serving as distractions in the room.

These last things were not predictable heading into the season (other than Sekera).

The offer sheet boogeyman is hilarious. They just don't happen, Chiarelli doesn't get that excuse.

McDavid's contract doesn't make Draisaitl's poor deal any better. McDavid's deal is great! Leon's is a big overpay.

It was predictable, because they knew Sekera was out during the playoffs! They chose to extend a third pairing defenceman (Russell) and do nothing else.

Talbot played a ridiculous amount of games and a lot of people were saying that could leadto fatigue.

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
This is such a low bar.

I agree. With McDavid deal kicking in next season. This without a doubt shoulda been the season we go for it. We have 6 ish mill in space. Coulda/shoulda used it to fill holes. If he can't ice competitive team now. I have no hope of when mcdavids deal kicks in.

hjghkabsdkc

Nov 17, 2017
I agree. With McDavid deal kicking in next season. This without a doubt shoulda been the season we go for it. We have 6 ish mill in space. Coulda/shoulda used it to fill holes. If he can't ice competitive team now. I have no hope of when mcdavids deal kicks in.

Good point, oilers89.

If Chia can't field a contending team with McDavid making this much, how's he going to do it next year when 97 makes way more?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Draisaitl hasn't proven that he could be an elite 1C. All he's proven is that he has great chemistry with Mcdavid but that isn't worth 8.5 million per season. In Draisaitl's case we should have bridged him for 2 seasons and played him at 2C for the entire year. It's probably not a popular opinion but I would trade him for a true 1D before other GM's realize that he's overpaid.

Reactions: CornKicker

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Good point, oilers89.

If Chia can't field a contending team with McDavid making this much, how's he going to do it next year when 97 makes way more?

He'll sacrifice RNH for futures. That's the ticket.
I know that sounds reactionary, but even the staunchest Chia admirer has to admit it's slightly more than just a possibility.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Draisaitl hasn't proven that he could be an elite 1C. All he's proven is that he has great chemistry with Mcdavid but that isn't worth 8.5 million per season. In Draisaitl's case we should have bridged him for 2 seasons and played him at 2C for the entire year. It's probably not a popular opinion but I would trade him for a true 1D before other GM's realize that he's overpaid.

Unfortunately, I agree. All the ribbing we were getting in the offseason about overpaying someone who is just a winger, is, regrettably, looking far too relevant.
It might be a good move to sell high on Drai.

North

Jun 25, 2009

In theory I get what Chiarelli was trying to do. He wanted a cap cushion for two reasons: bonuses and most likely deadline acquisitions.

He figured we were only down Sekera and Eberle so the team should have still been competitive.

The problem is two fold: a lot of players aren't playing at the level they were last season and McLellan.

McLellan won't go away from things that aren't working (Letestu on the PP) or he's slow to make changes that make sense, like JP on McDavid's wing.

My big issue with Chia this offseason is the lack of a true backup.

I think responsibility for the Oilers record is shared amongst Chia, McLellan, and the players.

If I had to choose one to change first: I'd let go of McLellan. I don't think he's utilizing the lineup in the best way possible.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
Unfortunately, I agree. All the ribbing we were getting in the offseason about overpaying someone who is just a winger, is, regrettably, looking far too relevant.
It might be a good move to sell high on Drai.

How much centre has Leon played though?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fun fact I believe Draisaitls point per game relative to dollars per point is better than McDavid.They both asked for too much money but why not with Chiarelli. Terrible negotiator. Connor needs to be a 110-120 point player if he's at 12.5.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
How much centre has Leon played though?

Not much at all. And I'm sure with time and experience he could become an excellent, two-way, second line, 60 point center for us.
But but but, is that worth 8.5 to this organization at this point in our cap space and lack of depth?
Or should we squeeze every drop out of a team desperate for a center while we can? As well as giving him the chance to be the number one guy on his own team?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Fun fact I believe Draisaitls point per game relative to dollars per point is better than McDavid.They both asked for too much money but why not with Chiarelli. Terrible negotiator. Connor needs to be a 110-120 point player if he's at 12.5.

He probably will be. I mean, he scored 100 points in his first full year as a teenager. He probably hasn't peaked...

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Well, that's actually what Chia didn't do last year as well.

And the jury is out as to whether Chia is a smart GM.

Nah Chia gets his hate for not filling obvious holes in the lineup, moreso his lack of action in the offseason compared to his lack of action at the deadline, which he realy wasnt bashed much for.
Also the fact Chia loses all of his important deals and is horrible at negotiating.

Chia and Shero have nothing in common except the job title they hold, except Chia is also President of Hockey ops :laugh:

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
It's all relative. What teams in the east right now look like threats long-term? If we say the Leafs, what is Matthews going to ask for if the cap goes from 75M to 82M and he has another 40 goal season?

The more the cap rises, I think Connor's deal will just keep looking better compared to deals signed after him.

If we ever get to a cap of 100M, those deals last summer such as Ladd, Lucic, Okposo, etc. are going to be like 8M a year.

hjghkabsdkc

Nov 17, 2017
He'll sacrifice RNH for futures. That's the ticket.
I know that sounds reactionary, but even the staunchest Chia admirer has to admit it's slightly more than just a possibility.

My bet is either Klefbom for a RHD or a RW/LW. Chia isn't afraid to lose a trade, which is the worst trait of his, so I could see him losing value to get a winger or RHD.

RNH is performing well, and he's finally realizing his other Hall/Eberle trades were bad, Friedman talked about it and said he'll only move RNH for a move seen as a clear win, but what's a clear win for Chia? Cap space and a #3c? I think he stays away from trading RNH cause it'll just look like he's trying to dump out the old core again.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah, I can't believe Chiarelli got bullied by Connor McDavid. What has that kid accomplished? What a terrible negotiator. And trader. I bet he under-tips, too. And over-waters his house plants.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Mcdavids contract is fine. The NHLPA wanted to set a new bar for elite player contracts and used Mcdavids negotiation to do it. Draiasitl’s contract is bad considering that his comparable’s signed for much less without being carried by Mcdavid. On the bright side at least he’s not making Eichel money.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The team should probably look strongly at moving Draisaitl, so you can package him with Lucic and/or Russell, so that find some balance going forward, maybe add a good winger or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->