Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Kypreos: OTT & EDM have had Hoffman for Picks/Prospects talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
As long as we can score 6 or 7 goals per game, we don't have to worry about goal-tending..

7klVNQ6.gif

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Oilers aren't in any position to risk missing points because of bad goaltending. Really surprised/disappointed Chiarelli hasn't made a move yet.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Many AHL goalies get at least one nhl shot somewhere at sometime, so why not Ellis tomorrow at rogers place.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Slepy, Brossoit for Larsson and Johnson? Not sure what kind of pick would have to be thrown in.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Playing an AHL goalie who hasn't exactly been that good with only 40ish pro games under his belt is a better idea?
Yeah its a better idea to see what Ellis can do rather than throw in a guy who is rocking a horrid save percentage and looks like absolute garbage and almost single handed lost the game last game.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd far prefer Zemgus over Larsson. He has the size, speed and physicality over him and I'd like to see how his power game translates in McLellan's system with one of our centers. Girgensons PKs in Buffalo as well.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Brossoit has had some really bad moments but also a lot of great moments. Young goalies are going to be inconsistent. No need to write him off or give up other roster players to patch a temporary hole that may fix itself. Is his leash getting short? Absolutely but he’s going to get more chances that’s just reality.

Reactions: ujju2

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Slepy, Brossoit for Larsson and Johnson? Not sure what kind of pick would have to be thrown in.

Gross. Slepyshev at worst is a big, fast, physical bottom 6 winger who can chip in. As for his best we still don't know, he was a rookie last year and has yet to have the chance to gain traction with some injuries this season. Slepyshev has the potential to be a really solid middle six winger for cheap. I'd trade him in a package for a good player but for a backup goalie, who's numbers in more games are terrible, and depth center with little upside who's honestly probably a worse player than a guy they let go of in Lander doesn't make any sense. With the young wingers on this team it makes sense to have extra players who can play some scoring minutes because at this point none of Caggiula, Puljujarvi, Kharia, or Slepyshev have proven to be consistent but all still have the potential to be quality players. Pakarinen and Brossoit for those two makes way more sense. Pakarinen and Larsson shouldn't have vastly different values, both are fringe players, and Brossoit is still a really young goalie who's put up solid numbers in the minors and juniors and as we've seen with goalies experience can play a huge factor. For Buffalo Brossoit would be a better backup than Johnson, at least he has upside.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
For Slepyshev, I think we're kind of letting our minds run wild with what his offensive upside might contain. And honestly, I don't see the guy turning into Alexei Ponikarovsky at the NHL level. He's never really shown that upside at any level he's played at. And even in three years in the KHL he only emerged as a mid-20 point guy.

I think with JP leap-frogging him, you have to question whether he starts worrying about his future in Edmonton. He's in a mix of about half a dozen guys who are interchangeable on the roster. Slepy doesn't offer anything else in regards to special teams, so why are we not considering flipping him for a player who may offer something else in addition to potential offensive upside?

This is the point of his development when other teams find him most intriguing. He's waiver exempt for less than half a dozen games and he's coming off of a very successful developmental season. Capitalize on his today value.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Why are they hoarding the cap space this year, Get some UFA as a rental, that can help this team.

Next year we will be hard pressed, to even sign some of our more productive players..

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
For Slepyshev, I think we're kind of letting our minds run wild with what his offensive upside might contain. And honestly, I don't see the guy turning into Alexei Ponikarovsky at the NHL level. He's never really shown that upside at any level he's played at. And even in three years in the KHL he only emerged as a mid-20 point guy.

I think with JP leap-frogging him, you have to question whether he starts worrying about his future in Edmonton. He's in a mix of about half a dozen guys who are interchangeable on the roster. Slepy doesn't offer anything else in regards to special teams, so why are we not considering flipping him for a player who may offer something else in addition to potential offensive upside?

This is the point of his development when other teams find him most intriguing. He's waiver exempt for less than half a dozen games and he's coming off of a very successful developmental season. Capitalize on his today value.

I think you're right with Slepyshev. He's probably not more than a 3rd/4th line tweener. But at the exact same time I think you're letting your mind run wild with Girgensons. Who had one Anton Lander like fuke season and otherwise is the exact same type of 3rd/4th line tweener.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think you're right with Slepyshev. He's probably not more than a 3rd/4th line tweener. But at the exact same time I think you're letting your mind run wild with Girgensons. Who had one Anton Lander like fuke season and otherwise is the exact same type of 3rd/4th line tweener.
The substantial difference between Girgensons and Lander is their skating abilities. Girgensons has some of the tools that prevented Lander from being an effective NHLer. Yes, I'm intrigued at the potential of him paying dividends in a scoring role with his untapped potential, but I also like the safe bet of him being an effective, physical, bottom six center--something Slepyshev doesn't offer us.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Swap out one of the few right handed forwards we have for another bottom pairing left handed guy who can't score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->