Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Chia Talk Ban | Oilers Sign KHL G Mikko Koskinen, What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Nash wit
Nash burned his bridge in Edmonton a long time ago. They seem to be working on easing Strome into that 3C role with both PP and PK icetime. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come out of this season with a contract with a three or four year term at a manageable cap hit. Our off-season additions are likely focused on the wings with a small possibility that an adjustment happens on the back end.

Your target of Baertchi is in the ballpark of where we should be looking for depth additions. Lower cap hits and non-established forwards. I haven't seen much of the Canucks this year but I'm under the impression that Baertchi is an integral part of their offense, so I'd assume the cost would be a bit higher than we'd be willing to pay. A couple guys I'd have my eye on leading into training camp are Nic Petan and Marko Dano in Winnipeg, who'll both be vying for roster spots or risking waivers. There'll be plenty of Pontus Aberg type guys out there after training camp, so it'll be interesting to see if we can pull another Maroon-like win.
Nash with the oilers is a hot button topic. Version of events I heard had the oilers trying to convince him not to go to uni but JR hockey and that annoyed not only Nash but his family if true..

If that is the case the oilers burned that bridge

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
@oilers89 I like the Baertschi target. Good middle 6 winger who can play throughout the lineup. Also would complete his Western Canada tour.
I'd also love to raid the Nucks of Granlund. A great PKer and fellow fin for Pulju.

RNH - McDavid - Pulju
Baertschi - Draisaitl - Slepyshev
Khaira - Strome - Yamo/Cags/UFA
Lucic - Granlund - Kassian

Not ideal but I'd be cool with this. Would have to send back ~4m in cap to Vancouver tho

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Any forward we bring in needs to be fixture on the PK IMO.

The biggest question I have is if we will use or trade our 1st rounder this year. With RNH looking like a keeper on McDavid's wing we really just need some size on the right side to do the dirty work for those two. Our middle 6 can be cobbled together with Drai and Strome at C, and guys like Khaira/Pulju/Yamo/Lucic as wingers.

Who would be available as a right shoot wing that excels on the boards and net front and can also PK?

Besides that we really just need that right shot offensive defenseman. If we could attach the Sekera contract with our 1st and Bear, what level of defenseman could we garner?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Personally, I think we're overlooking Tyler Benson a bit here. While Yamamoto is obviously the better offensive player, I wouldn't be surprised to learn at training camp that Benson is more NHL-ready. Older and from what I've heard better defensively.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
RNH-McDavid-Pulju
(If McLellan wasn't so stubborn they should be giving this a test run for the last 10 games)

*new guy*-Draisaitl-Yams
(I don't know if Yam is ready but Oil gonna Oil, if McLellan is back that'll be Lucic on 2LW)

Lucic-Strome-*new guy with PK ability*
(Lucic probably slots in at 2LW but I'd try him here to start. Slepy could be the 3RW here but I'm not sure he's gonna stay. I like Strome at C better than W)

Caggiula-Khaira-Kassian
(Honestly, a better line than the 3rd. Alternately I'd like to see the Oilers bring in a new 4th C with faceoff and PK ability and put Khaira at 3LW and Lucic to 2LW)

Yamamoto will be on the team next season. He’s a cheap, skilled option, even if he isn’t ready. I’d like to see something like this.

RNH-Mcdavid-JP
UFA-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Lucic-Strome-Grabner
UFA-Khaira-Slepyshev

If we don’t draft top 3 then we trade the pick, plus a few other picks for a RD.

Nurse-Trade
Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russel

Talbot
Khudobin

We target 4 UFA’s, Grabner, Khudobin, a middle six always and a 4th line LW. We trade for a top 4 RD that can play the PP and insert 1 rookie into the lineup.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

The biggest question I have is if we will use or trade our 1st rounder this year. With RNH looking like a keeper on McDavid's wing we really just need some size on the right side to do the dirty work for those two. Our middle 6 can be cobbled together with Drai and Strome at C, and guys like Khaira/Pulju/Yamo/Lucic as wingers.

Who would be available as a right shoot wing that excels on the boards and net front and can also PK?

Besides that we really just need that right shot offensive defenseman. If we could attach the Sekera contract with our 1st and Bear, what level of defenseman could we garner?

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Caggiula-Strome-Rattie (if he keeps up his play from last game)
Slepyshev-Khaira-Kassian

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Bear
Sekera-Russell
Benning

Unless we can move Sekera out or we draft a NHL ready D or forward I could see us doing well with this team when healthy and under new coaching. I'd be open to upgrade on Caggiula and Slepyshev, but overall I think that we could do some damage assuming that Jesse and Kailer are ready for bigger roles next season. IMO Jesse will be, Kailer is the unknown.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Ooof. Took a look at our cap space for next season for the first time. If the cap weren't to move at all, let's say we sign Strome for 3m, and Nurse for 4m, that leaves 4.6m in cap space if this is our roster. Fill those last 2 roster spots at AVG of 1.5m and you have 1.6m left. Factor in what you hope will be some bonuses for the rookies and the only cap space you have now is whatever the cap goes up by.

RNH-McDavid-Aberg
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
?-Strome-Yamamoto
?-Khaira-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Russell-Bear

Talbot
Montoya

Chiarelli just simply is not the man to fix this. We need a very crafty GM who can someone accomplish what the Leafs did with contracts like Phaneuf and Clarkson.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Let's say Benson makes the team. I could see him on the second line. Heres what I'd like given that scenario:

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Benson-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Lucic-Strome-Rattie
Caggiula/Aberg-Khaira-Kassian

Only issue is Benson being a LW instead of RW like Yamamoto.

Reactions: McCanovin

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Ooof. Took a look at our cap space for next season for the first time. If the cap weren't to move at all, let's say we sign Strome for 3m, and Nurse for 4m, that leaves 4.6m in cap space if this is our roster. Fill those last 2 roster spots at AVG of 1.5m and you have 1.6m left. Factor in what you hope will be some bonuses for the rookies and the only cap space you have now is whatever the cap goes up by.

RNH-McDavid-Aberg
?-Strome-Yamamoto
?-Khaira-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Russell-Bear

Talbot
Montoya

Chiarelli just simply is not the man to fix this. We need a very crafty GM who can someone accomplish what the Leafs did with contracts like Phaneuf and Clarkson.

Cap is rumoured to be rising significantly. But yeah, I agree. The Lucic contract is killing us, Russell is a bit overpaid, and I (unlike most) think Sekera is also a bit overpaid. Nurse at 4 million would also be a bargain imo. I expect closer to 5.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

RNH-McDavid-Aberg
?-Strome-Yamamoto
?-Khaira-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Russell-Bear

Talbot
Montoya

The Lucic contract has to go this summer. I just don't see Chia doing anything with it. He's not going to admit his failure 2 seasons into the deal.

He has really handcuffed us with bad signings. The same amount of bad he did in Boston with the Seguin trade and contracts he has done the same here.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Yamamoto will be on the team next season. He’s a cheap, skilled option, even if he isn’t ready. I’d like to see something like this.

RNH-Mcdavid-JP
UFA-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Lucic-Strome-Grabner
UFA-Khaira-Slepyshev

If we don’t draft top 3 then we trade the pick, plus a few other picks for a RD.

Nurse-Trade
Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russel

Talbot
Khudobin

We target 4 UFA’s, Grabner, Khudobin, a middle six always and a 4th line LW. We trade for a top 4 RD that can play the PP and insert 1 rookie into the lineup.

I tend to agree on Yamamoto based on the Oilers history, the cap hit and the Oilers need for skill in the top 6 kind of cements it for me. Development wise he needs to be in the AHL.

Not sure if you omitted Aberg and Kassian on purpose. (I forgot Aberg too...haha) and I'm almost certain Slepy will be gone if McLellan is back (I hope he isn't).

I think Grabner will get either overpaid or take a discount on a legit contender next year. Would love to have him but I'm skeptical we can get it done.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nash wit

Nash with the oilers is a hot button topic. Version of events I heard had the oilers trying to convince him not to go to uni but JR hockey and that annoyed not only Nash but his family if true..

Yeah. I remember reading that.

I have no idea why our management at the time would try to convince a US college commit to go the junior route. It makes absolutely no sense to me. But ultimately the kid still burned his bridge refusing to sign. There will always be bad blood there.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I'm hoping we will use our 1st, I'd rather trade Puljujarvi then it, people act like McLellan is holding him back, but the truth no coach is going to give him a big role given how inconsistent he is, I already count 6 forwards from his draft who are better than him I expect that number to continue to grow over the years.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Coyle + Dumba is about the best forward/D combo I can think of that addresses our needs in a single trade. Sekera, 2018 1st, Bear, + another piece going out.

RNH McDavid Coyle
Khaira Drai Yamo
Lucic Strome Pulju
Caggiula UFA Kassian

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Dumba
Russell Benning/UFA

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm hoping we will use our 1st, I'd rather trade Puljujarvi then it, people act like McLellan is holding him back, but the truth no coach is going to give him a big role given how inconsistent he is, I already count 6 forwards from his draft who are better than him I expect that number to continue to grow over the years.
Trading either would be foolish IMO. We're going to need some of those younger pieces to fill in the gaps in terms of depth over the next few seasons. Having younger depth pieces on cheaper deals is how we're going to be able to get back to rolling three lines consistently instead of simply relying on the production of whoever #97 is playing with.

I think if we're seeing a significant change in terms of personnel this summer, we'll probably see a roster player moved instead of a prospect or pick.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I look around the league and it seems to me that it's becoming a younger man's game. Players are becoming more impactful at younger ages. I think with proper coaching and deployment and good health guys like Benson and Yamamoto could be ready as soon as next season.

As for Lucic and his contract, the NHLPA will surely opt out of the CBA in Sept. 2019 that will unfortunately likely trigger another work stoppage. The bright side is that it's likely teams will receive at least 1 compliance buyout each.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

Yamamoto might be the better fit long term too. We really need to draft an offensive D too and there are plenty available in that 5-10 range. Pulju is very boom/bust but I haven't seen the puck skill to make me think he's going to be anything more than a two way winger who plays on your 2nd line.

Do you think Sekera, Bear, and Pulju could get us Coyle and Dumba. I don't see why Minny would want Sekera but there would have to be some salary going back.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Mclellan is absolutely holding him back. His plan to get JP going is to put him with wildly inconsistent players like Strome as his center as if thats going to stimulate his talent or drive more than putting him with Drai while simultaneously giving Lucic all the rope in the world because his birth date reads 88. I really don't know why people are still trying to distance the level of ownership Mclellan should have for the play JP is playing at currently. JP comes up gets a bunch of time with RNH-Lucic looks great and within 3 games is demoted to the third line because of reasons. JP than gets a chance with Connor and looks good and the line looks better because it freed up Drai to run his own line what happens? oh yeah JP gets demoted within like 5 or 6 games while Lucic gets like a month long run with Connor while doing absolutely nothing. How could the coach not be seen as a problem when we have all witnessed his ego get in the way of what is good for the team long term.

Reactions: PulYou

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think people are seeing what they want to see in regards to Jesse IMO. The truth is he's still incredibly raw as an NHL forward and is a ways away from being a consistent offensive threat. He's most effective when he's using his speed and size on the forecheck to cause turnovers from the opposition and recently that hasn't happened consistently enough to merit giving him those elevated minutes. I don't see the benefit of pumping up his boxcars next to McDavid if it ultimately just makes him complacent on the other aspects of the game McLellan and the other coaches have been successful in getting out of him. Do we want to pay more for an incomplete forward?

The Oilers likely value Jesse significantly and see a player who will be able to create his own offense in time. This is a player that fans and the organization will need to be patient with--especially when the kid doesn't even speak the language fluently yet.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
A while ago I took a closer look at his even strength stats last year and was disappointed. It's quite easy to raise ones points in a working PP (like the one last year), but it can also hide the true value of the player.

So it's hard to believe that Lucic will be worth his salary, but at this stage I'd be happy enough with some 2/3 of the value. Right now it's a long way to that, though.

I definately agree. Lucic will never reach 100% of his value, but he can be a player that fills a role. Atm he doesn't, but mainly because McLellan pushes him too far up the line-up where his lack of speed becomes glaringly obvious. What coach would put the slowest winger together with the leagues fastest center on the first line? Even playing on the 2nd line would help. If he can push 50 points in the next 2 seasons maybe his contract wouldn't be completely untradable

Last edited:
Reactions: GameChanger

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Let's say Benson makes the team. I could see him on the second line. Heres what I'd like given that scenario:

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Benson-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Lucic-Strome-Rattie
Caggiula/Aberg-Khaira-Kassian

Only issue is Benson being a LW instead of RW like Yamamoto.
I like this set up. It also allows us to go after a PMD with the remaining cap space

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018

Give JP 2 years and I think he can become that winger. The rocket he scored off Nuges pass some weeks ago on the PP definately hints that he has a cannon in his skillset

At this point I honestly think we need to have our RW work out from within. There's too many other glaring needs

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Nash wit

I'm surprised anyone even suggests a PLAYER burned a bridge. Our management hasn't built alot of bridges the past decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad