Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Chia Talk Ban | Oilers Sign KHL G Mikko Koskinen, What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Lundquist for Talbot, 2019 1st rounder
giphy.gif

Lundqvist is 35, soon to be 36. Trading away a goalie for actual long term upside and a 1st round pick- just to acquire a 1-2 year fix doesn't make sense. Havent Oil fans learnt anything after Dubnyk lol. 1 down year behind a bad dcore should not lead to rash decisions to offload promising goalies

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
We need someone who sits on their thumbs.
Inaction is literally the safest course of action.

Make your moves like impending UFA's for picks, but nothing of true substance.

At least this offseason anyways

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If their going after Ottawa, why just target Hoffman?

Larsson, RNH, Puljujarvi, 2018 1st and 2nd
for
Karlsson and Hoffman

High-risk High-reward deal

If what I heard is true, this idea is on the money. Just not what we’re giving up

my current stance would be to treat this year as the outlier as opposed to last year.

get what you can for playera you arent resigning. Hit the draft out of the park somehow and keep adding depth.

im worried about talbot and todds.....*creativity*....but grass isnt always greener yadda yadda

I agree. Nicholson was on the money with the 3 general faults. PP, PK, and goaltending. The PP has too good of players to continue, and Talbot was a top 5 goalie last year. The PK does need addressing, but you do that by adding a couple bottom 6 forwards, which shouldn’t be hard come free agency.

We need someone who sits on their thumbs.
Inaction is literally the safest course of action.

Make your moves like impending UFA's for picks, but nothing of true substance.

At least this offseason anyways

Tamblowe proved that to be untrue. Remember when we could have had Hartnell for Souray?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So I guess lets go into another season with AHL goaltending and see where that gets us.

Talbot had a string of 4 great years in a row before this year. Wanna place a bet on whether this year is an off year or not? Like I said, Oiler fans must have no memory if they didn't learn anything from Dubnyk

You don't overpay and mortgage your future for a 1 year solution. Beause I hate to break the news to you but the Oilers have more glaring holes than just goaltending. Don't expect a good team for 3-4 more years (when Henrik is not in the NHL anymore)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ottawa asks for Draisaitl + 1st 2018 + if Karlsson is to be considered at least. What the management group that panicked and moved Hall for Adam Larsson is now magically going to get a much better player for less? Lol, other GMs know the score.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Talbot had a string of 4 great years in a row before this year. Wanna place a bet on whether this year is an off year or not? Like I said, Oiler fans must have no memory if they didn't learn anything from Dubnyk

You don't overpay and mortgage your future for a 1 year solution. Beause I hate to break the news to you but the Oilers have more glaring holes than just goaltending. Don't expect a good team for 3-4 more years (when Henrik is not in the NHL anymore)

I agree about Talbot but that said... The only lesson to be learned from Dubnyk is that you don’t keep incompetent coaches around. Even if they’re well liked. Dubnyk was at the break everything down and rebuild his technique from the ground up stage when we got rid of him. Let’s not forget that Nashville and Montreal didn’t want to do it either.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Goaltending is our biggest issue/hole this year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Goaltending is our biggest issue/hole this year.

Ok... Goalies have down years. Goaltending was our biggest strength last year and the year before...

Ill never get the mentality to cut every player having a down year and buy every player on a career year. HFOil must get hosed in the stock market. "Oh my Amazon stock dropped 2% this week, time to sell!"

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I firmly believe that Klefbom will be made available for an upgrade this summer. Sekera might be as well, but remember that he has to waive his NMC.

if I had to play in this dumpster fire id waive my NTC so fast

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That’s not the ask

Your last few posts read like you have some insider info...

So we're after Karlsson and Hoffman. I'm guessing the starting pieces are Klefbom and 2018 1st.

Shot in the dark, the other pieces are 2019 1st, a conditional 2nd, and one of Yams/Puljujarvi.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think this team will be back in the playoffs next season with a few small moves.

- replace the assistant coaches

- find a 1B to push Talbot

- small trades and UFA signings to get more speed on the wings

We have potential internal help on the wings with Yamamoto, Benson or the 2018 1st being NHL ready next season.

RNH-Mcdavid-xxx
Lucic-Draisaitl-JP
Slepy-Strome-Yamamoto/Benson/2018 1st
Cagiula-Khaira-Kassian

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Sekera
Russel-xxx

Talbot
xxx

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Go for Sateri or Georgiev.

Sateri with Florida has Montembeault pushing him next season and Shestyorkin is the one of the Rangers prized possessions.

Kaskisuo is decent, Leafs are running 3 goalies in the Ahl I believe with Pickard, Sparks and Kaskisuo.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Your last few posts read like you have some insider info...

So we're after Karlsson and Hoffman. I'm guessing the starting pieces are Klefbom and 2018 1st.

Shot in the dark, the other pieces are 2019 1st, a conditional 2nd, and one of Yams/Puljujarvi.

That would be huge, but I don't know how we keep up moving forward. We'd almost certainly need to convince Sekera to waive his NTC, which as was mentioned before, is possible.

Hoffman - McDavid - Pulujarvi
Lucic - Draisaitl - ???
Cagguila - RNH - Strome
Pakarinen - Khaira - Kassian

Still leaves us needing two middle six wingers, as sad as that is. I don't want Pakarinen in the lineup every day.

Nurse - Karlsson
Russell - Larsson
Davidson - Benning (or Bear if he surprises and is ready)

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
How can the ceiling be "bubble team" if the core of this team that isn't even in their prime yet led them to a 103 point season and within a whisker of the WCF's?

It took a huge confluence of luck and over-achieving to reach those heights. IMO, this team is a 90-95 point pretender without major upgrades on the D or wings that will be virtually impossible to make unless someone already in teh org (or who walks up to the podium this summer) steps up in a big way.

I'm a bit torn. I do think this team is primed for a bounce back season next year. We have a bunch of players who have had the worst season of their career and some by a significant amount and the team is pretty strong 5 on 5. On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure that I see a Cup contender when the best Dman going forward is Nurse or Larsson or Sekera or Klefbom none of which can play 24-25 minutes a night, run a PP and/or push the pace offensively at even strength. I do see an opportunity to add a Dman of this ilk with some of the assets the Oilers have but is it worth hurting the already shallow organizational depth? I don't know.

They'll bounce back, but the question is: how high? A team with Connor McDavid on it should be in the hunt sooner than later, but it's going to take some savvy moves to get there and I just don't think we have the braintrust to do it.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Ottawa does have a putrid defense and the Phaneuf trade makes me wonder if it was done to set up their next deal. Is it possible they could take back both Klefbom and Sekera (if he'd waive) in a deal for Karlsson and Hoffman? We'd have to add a bunch of futures like our next two 1sts and one of Pulju/Yams. Possibly more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad