Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Chia Talk Ban | Oilers Sign KHL G Mikko Koskinen, What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think this team is a lot better than what they've showed this year. But under Todd they're just not going anywhere. Obviously adding some depth (especially on the wings) would help but getting Klef and Sekera back to 100% is probably the biggest key for this team to turn it around. We have a legit top4 with Nurse, Klef, Sekera and Larsson if they're all healthy. If they're healthy and play well I think that'll help Talbot get back to his game as well. I think the biggest issue is scoring goals and that's where adding some depth on the wings would really help. That shouldn't be an insurmountable task for Chia. We're also gonna get a high pick in the draft this year and should get a really good prospect that should be ready to step into this league and have an impact within 0-3 years. Patience is probably the key still for this franchise. Need a better coach though.

Reactions: FlameChampion

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think this team is a lot better than what they've showed this year. But under Todd they're just not going anywhere. Obviously adding some depth (especially on the wings) would help but getting Klef and Sekera back to 100% is probably the biggest key for this team to turn it around. We have a legit top4 with Nurse, Klef, Sekera and Larsson if they're all healthy. If they're healthy and play well I think that'll help Talbot get back to his game as well. I think the biggest issue is scoring goals and that's where adding some depth on the wings would really help. That shouldn't be an insurmountable task for Chia. We're also gonna get a high pick in the draft this year and should get a really good prospect that should be ready to step into this league and have an impact within 0-3 years. Patience is probably the key still for this franchise. Need a better coach though.

I think people are also giving up way too easily on Sekera. He is a good defenseman. History shows that players with ACL injuries typically dont recover till the following year. The guy is wearing a brace now and he cant move properly. I wouldnt be surprised if he is much better next year. With knee injuries theres always a risk that players dont recover. If Klefbom is hurt, I dont know why they dont just give him the year off, do surgery, whatever to get him healthy for next year. The seasons lost.

I think a panic trade would be bad.

Like you said pick up some solid depth and make some lower risk hockey trades in the offseason. Improve your prospect pipeline.

I think TM and assistants need to go too.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
This, to me, is a gross overpayment and would send us back years. Our organization talent pool is already weak and you're willing to give up 4 (not including Benning) pretty high youngsters for Karlsson. I'd pass on this bigtime.

Yeah you are right....my proposal is overpayment. I would love to get EK for cheap but I just don't see him coming that cheaply. Hope I'm wrong and with Dorion at the helm I guess it's possible

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
what a dumb comment to say , basically throwing the defensemen they have already under the bus, and its not talbots fault he's played absolutely horrible this year. Nicholson i guess is just as dumb as lowe and company and this team has no hope at all with these boneheads at the helm. how about get some SCORING WINGERS for MCDAVID!! One more season of this and i hope to god Mcdavid asks for a trade, can't stand seeing him frustrated and wasting his talent for these bums.

I like it, it speaks to an obvious need for the organization to atone for this season, shoot higher and not to be afraid of shaking up the roster, regardless who the GM and coaches are.

Standing pat with the players we have and one mediocre addition will put us right back here next winter. Assuming the same young players who couldn't step up this season will next season is folly. Maybe one of them.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
OEL is a defensive nightmare.

Good, not elite, offensive ability but trash tier defending. He's no #1 d-man. Faulk has been overrated in his career true. But OEL might be the most overrated player in the league over the last 1/2 decade.
OEL is serviceable defensively and an excellent puck mover and offensive player. He'd be exactly what this team needs if he wasn't a LHD.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
what a dumb comment to say , basically throwing the defensemen they have already under the bus, and its not talbots fault he's played absolutely horrible this year. Nicholson i guess is just as dumb as lowe and company and this team has no hope at all with these boneheads at the helm. how about get some SCORING WINGERS for MCDAVID!! One more season of this and i hope to god Mcdavid asks for a trade, can't stand seeing him frustrated and wasting his talent for these bums.
So he can't say we need to improve our defense and it's not Talbots fault he is playing bad and we don't need to fix anything but more scoring wingers?

Last year we allowed 212 goals in 82 games
This year we have allowed 184 in 56 on pace for 269. Thats allowing 57 more goals.

Last year we scored 247 goals. This year 157 in 56 on pace for 230. So 17 less goals. So yes we need some scoring wingers for sure.

but more of all we need to fix the f***ing defense.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Nicholson has be talking about Erik Karlsson. The Sens are rebuilding and Melnyk already said that the team has to cut there $68 million payroll. If they are cutting payroll how in the world are they going to be able to re-sign EK?

I don't know if we have the assets but I can see the Sens being interested in Yamamoto to pair him with his WJC linemate Brown. Maybe something like:
2018 1st (as long as it's not Dahlen)
2019 1st
Yamamoto
Puljijarvi
Benning

With Dorion at the helm maybe we can get EK for less...........

So we send all ELC back and have no money to resign EK . We need to move at least 1 high cap hit to make EK worth it as in being able to resign him

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So we send all ELC back and have no money to resign EK . We need to move at least 1 high cap hit to make EK worth it as in being able to resign him
Could be done in a separate trade. Although moving every single potential top 6 winger we have+ 2 1sts for EK will help our defense but our scoring winger problem gets much much worse.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
So he can't say we need to improve our defense and it's not Talbots fault he is playing bad and we don't need to fix anything but more scoring wingers?

Last year we allowed 212 goals in 82 games
This year we have allowed 184 in 56 on pace for 269. Thats allowing 57 more goals.

Last year we scored 247 goals. This year 157 in 56 on pace for 230. So 17 less goals. So yes we need some scoring wingers for sure.

but more of all we need to fix the ****ing defense.

This ^^^100%. All this talk about shipping Klefbom out for a #1 DMan package... What value does Klef have right now??? Either his crappy play is due to a serious underlying injury (which no team really wants to acquire) or he's just regressed to suck (which no team really wants to acquire). It would be stupid to move him now. He should shut it down and focus on being healthy in September.

Keep it simple - move out the UFA's, add a couple depth wingers and DMan if possible, sign top NCAA talent if available, draft GOOD, and load up for 18/19. Panic or drastic moves now won't help when we have no foundation to even trade from.

Reactions: FlameChampion
Oct 15, 2008
I think it might be fair to argue that lack of capital from the EIG(no development program) is one of the primary reasons this mess got started.

It is of course entirely due to 'Katz nepotism' that it has taken this long and still isn't fixed though. It's also pretty hard to pile on the EIG too much given that without them the Oilers wouldn't even exist.

Our farm team prospect depth is awful. That's after 12yrs with Mr Moneybags at the helm.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This ^^^100%. All this talk about shipping Klefbom out for a #1 DMan package... What value does Klef have right now??? Either his crappy play is due to a serious underlying injury (which no team really wants to acquire) or he's just regressed to suck (which no team really wants to acquire). It would be stupid to move him now. He should shut it down and focus on being healthy in September.

Keep it simple - move out the UFA's, add a couple depth wingers and DMan if possible, sign top NCAA talent if available, draft GOOD, and load up for 18/19. Panic or drastic moves now won't help when we have no foundation to even trade from.
The only defensemen that honestly makes sense to move right now is Sekera. Signed for 3 more seasons at 5.5 mill. His injury has completely derailed him. We need to improve our defense and that probably means a big guy like Karlsson, McDonagh, OEL, Carlson etc. The only way we can afford that is to move out money on the back end. Sekera makes the most and there is no guarentee that he will ever be the guy he was last year. And if the org believes that Klefbom can bounce back next year to the guy he was, or even close. Klefbom, Nurse, Russel, Davidson would be absolutely fine on the left side. And moving Sekera can clear cap so we can bring in a right shot d or a clear left shot improvement would be beneficial.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
No argument here.

You can drop all the money on a development program you want and it won't matter if you hire the wrong people to run it.

I'm pretty sure Katz can find siblings of more players if he looks hard enough... Like where's Jari Kurri's brother? Moog's sister? Cause every other pro sports team in all other leagues knows the path to greatness lies in patronage hires of family members and aging stars from the 80's.... What a f****** joke this organization is.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The only defensemen that honestly makes sense to move right now is Sekera. Signed for 3 more seasons at 5.5 mill. His injury has completely derailed him. We need to improve our defense and that probably means a big guy like Karlsson, McDonagh, OEL, Carlson etc. The only way we can afford that is to move out money on the back end. Sekera makes the most and there is no guarentee that he will ever be the guy he was last year. And if the org believes that Klefbom can bounce back next year to the guy he was, or even close. Klefbom, Nurse, Russel, Davidson would be absolutely fine on the left side. And moving Sekera can clear cap so we can bring in a right shot d or a clear left shot improvement would be beneficial.

I firmly believe that Klefbom will be made available for an upgrade this summer. Sekera might be as well, but remember that he has to waive his NMC.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

Or teams realize that he's a young player, and is still growing/developing his game. Obviously he hasn't had a great year, but he showed last year what he's capable of. He's a reasonable bet to rebound next season.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Id be for this mentality if it meant standing pat with the current roster. The only thing Id like to see is some of the bad contracts being offloaded and maybe a smart UFA signing or two. Weather the storm of this season and next year I think well be rewarded

I'm for this too even though I think the ceiling of this team as its currently constructed is "bubble team" and the reason is I don't trust the guy in charge to win any deal involving significant assets. Basically, they need to start laying the groundwork for a couple of seasons down the line when they can start dumping a few of the bad vet contracts they have currently.

The only D man of note they should even think of adding this offseason is Boqvist.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I firmly believe that Klefbom will be made available for an upgrade this summer. Sekera might be as well, but remember that he has to waive his NMC.

Agreed - Klefbom is probably the most likely candidate to be moved on the backend if we're going to try to upgrade there. The other likely candidate is Nuge. Center and D are the most valued positions, and both players are young and signed for a few years.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Agreed - Klefbom is probably the most likely candidate to be moved on the backend if we're going to try to upgrade there. The other likely candidate is Nuge. Center and D are the most valued positions, and both players are young and signed for a few years.

For someone like Karlsson who's cap hit will be likely top 3 in the league, it'll have to be one of the cap heavy forwads and one of our cap heavy D.
Combination of Lucic/RNH and Sekera/Klefbom. Knowing Chia, he'll probably toss in a 1st for good measure and retain on Lucic hah

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think people are also giving up way too easily on Sekera. He is a good defenseman. History shows that players with ACL injuries typically dont recover till the following year. The guy is wearing a brace now and he cant move properly. I wouldnt be surprised if he is much better next year. With knee injuries theres always a risk that players dont recover. If Klefbom is hurt, I dont know why they dont just give him the year off, do surgery, whatever to get him healthy for next year. The seasons lost.

I think a panic trade would be bad.

Like you said pick up some solid depth and make some lower risk hockey trades in the offseason. Improve your prospect pipeline.

I think TM and assistants need to go too.
I’ve got no interest in moving Sekera. He’s coming back from a serious injury and I think most of us felt last summer that even when he came back that it would be a lost year for him. It sucks but this happens when players get hurt. Once October rolls around and he’s had close to a year and a half to heal I think he’ll be back to himself. He was very good last year. Trading a guy coming off an injury is just another example of selling low.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Gotta look what other top tier D-men have been traded for.

I could see EK being had for Klefbom and Puljujarvi.

Look what Pronger was traded for.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Gotta look what other top tier D-men have been traded for.

I could see EK being had for Klefbom and Puljujarvi.

Look what Pronger was traded for.

Pronger was traded for the equivalent of Klefbom (or Nurse)+ Benning+ Jones

or again for Puljujavi + Jones + 1st + conditional 1st if we win the cup + 2nd

And none of that takes into consideration contracts or impending UFA status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad