Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Chia Talk Ban | Oilers Sign KHL G Mikko Koskinen, What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think that 3 years is not accurate the way the league is trending. Younger players are a lot more physically and mentally developed coming out of the draft than in the past. Players like MacAvoy and Sergachev are making an impact and only drafted in 2016. Provorov looks like he's already Philly's best defenseman and was drafted the year before. Bouchard could probably step into a bottom pairing role next year and onto the top unit PP. At worst he's 2 years away from making a big impact.

I just think that unless we can get a true #1 like Karlsson, Pietrangelo, or Doughty it might be best to draft and develop. Sign or trade for a stop gap in the meantime like Mike Green for 1 or two years if the price is right and we can move some cap.

I get what your saying but don’t think it’s an across the board phenomenon, rather isolated to a few players. MacAvoy looks to be a stud, he’s under Chara’s wing so he has a huge advantage. Sergachev plays bottom pair minutes and PP. It’ll be 3-4 years before he’s ready for top lime duty. Provorov struggled in the playoffs mind you he was also injured. But experience is king.

Most D still need 3-4 years to develop properly. Only a few special cases like the ones you’ve mentioned can be fast tracked. PS - we should have stuck to our guns and drafted Sergachev v PJ.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I get what your saying but don’t think it’s an across the board phenomenon, rather isolated to a few players. MacAvoy looks to be a stud, he’s under Chara’s wing so he has a huge advantage. Sergachev plays bottom pair minutes and PP. It’ll be 3-4 years before he’s ready for top lime duty. Provorov struggled in the playoffs mind you he was also injured. But experience is king.

Most D still need 3-4 years to develop properly. Only a few special cases like the ones you’ve mentioned can be fast tracked. PS - we should have stuck to our guns and drafted Sergachev v PJ.
I don't know that we'd be any further ahead to be honest. I'd also be curious if he'd end up like Schultz

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't know that we'd be any further ahead to be honest. I'd also be curious if he'd end up like Schultz

He’s deadly on the PP but needs to work on his D zone game and get valuable experience by just playing and developing. In 5years time he will be a beast offensively and decent enough in his own zone with a good first pass and excellent skating abilities.

As we all know, Schultz could have been good but Shit For Brains who was our GM put a world of pressure on him by publicly labelling him a future Norris candidate and Even More Shit For Brains who was our coach decided he was our number 1 D. The result was an overplayed overmatched young D who Pittsburgh rebuilt with sheltered minutes and #2 PP time.

My point to that is I don’t think we are in the same situation today as then and can develop a Sergachev properly now vs what happened to Schultz.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Look at this list, we probably don’t have to trade up to get a good D. We just need scouts who can make a good call, then develop the player properly.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He’s deadly on the PP but needs to work on his D zone game and get valuable experience by just playing and developing. In 5years time he will be a beast offensively and decent enough in his own zone with a good first pass and excellent skating abilities.

As we all know, Schultz could have been good but **** For Brains who was our GM put a world of pressure on him by publicly labelling him a future Norris candidate and Even More **** For Brains who was our coach decided he was our number 1 D. The result was an overplayed overmatched young D who Pittsburgh rebuilt with sheltered minutes and #2 PP time.

My point to that is I don’t think we are in the same situation today as then and can develop a Sergachev properly now vs what happened to Schultz.
I really don't know we had TM trying to finish Schultz off so I really don't know. I'd hope with Nurse, Klef, Russell, Larsson and Sekera that it would mean Sergachev would be getting minimal minutes. At the same time Schultz should've never had to play as much as he was

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
MacAvoy played almost exclusively with Chara this year.
But he didn't end up with Chara because he needed to be sheltered. He ended up there because he became the best RHD on their roster. The Oilers have the perfect insulator to break in a young offensive RHD with Larsson's ability to play tough minutes. They also have veteran 2nd and 3rd pairing LHD in Sekera and Russell that can help bring a young player along.

I'm notorious for outlandish trade proposals, but I feel we are not going to find a quick fix via trade, and if we do the cost will be very high and hurt us down the road. If Chia can find a deal that balances the present and the future then great, but I don't see it happening.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How are they gonna fit Green in with the $3M or so they are going to have to work with once they sign or replace their various RFAs.

If the cap goes up to 80 they should have about 5 million left after they sign the KHL backup, give Nurse a long term deal and just qualify the rest of the RFA's. It's going to take 6 million to sign Green so you might have to trade Kassian, Strome or Benning to make room.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If the cap goes up to 80 they should have about 5 million left after they sign the KHL backup, give Nurse a long term deal and just qualify the rest of the RFA's. It's going to take 6 million to sign Green so you might have to trade Kassian, Strome or Benning to make room.

I agree and I think Kassian is going to be traded in the off season. Too much money for what he brings.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I agree and I think Kassian is going to be traded in the off season. Too much money for what he brings.

I'd actually be surprised if that happens. I'm not a huge Kassian fan but if he can rebound to what he was like the previous season, he'd be worth the money, and Chia loves the toughness he brings no doubt.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

They shouldn't do this unless Green was willing to take a one year deal.

Reactions: belair

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
One finals run in almost 40 years though? I mean it’s better than Toronto’s drought but it’s not good. That’s a loooong time to only make one cup run.
Nashville had some self imposed cap limits for quite some time, it's only more recently that they really built a great fanbase and can spend to the cap limit. There are some cash strapped teams that have ofcourse made noise in that time frame, but for a good chunk of his career he wasn't on a level playing field with the other GM's.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nashville had some self imposed cap limits for quite some time, it's only more recently that they really built a great fanbase and can spend to the cap limit. There are some cash strapped teams that have ofcourse made noise in that time frame, but for a good chunk of his career he wasn't on a level playing field with the other GM's.
What’s the excuse between 1982-1997

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
What’s the excuse between 1982-1997
I don't have an excuse and I'm not old enough to speak knowledgeably about that time frame, particularly in terms of evaluating trades. Just from looking at the Caps history it appears that they missed the playoffs for 8 consecutive seasons before he took the job and then made the playoffs 14 years in a row and then missed the playoffs in Poile's final year with the team. Just from a casual glance he took a joke of a team and made them a good team for a long stretch of time, but failed to translate his good team into a great team that could win it all.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't have an excuse and I'm not old enough to speak knowledgeably about that time frame, particularly in terms of evaluating trades. Just from looking at the Caps history it appears that they missed the playoffs for 8 consecutive seasons before he took the job and then made the playoffs 14 years in a row and then missed the playoffs in Poile's final year with the team. Just from a casual glance he took a joke of a team and made them a good team for a long stretch of time, but failed to translate his good team into a great team that could win it all.
I’m not saying he’s a bad GM. I think he’s a good GM. In fact clearly he’s a good GM having stayed on the job long term with two teams. I just think it’s funny a guy with 1 finals appearance in 36 years on the job is revered as the gold standard of GMing on HF these days.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Benning+2nd for Faulk?
Skinner (50% retained)+Faulk for JP+Kassian
RNH+10th for 2nd+Faulk

I know this is an Oilers board but all these proposals are heavily favoring the Oilers. The Benning proposal is laughable.

The Canes aren't just going to give away Faulk. You're going to have to make it worth their while.
I would do the Benning deal but why move a proven player that clicks with McD in RNH. Even the 2nd over all would not guarantee to click with McD

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah, but winning the Stanley cup is much more about who gets lucky/hot at the right time than building a consistently successful team.

Poile waited until there was a good deal for a 1C and he had enough positional strength at D to make a trade.

That works great when you have umpteen years to do so without getting ****canned.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
boy, David Poile really whiffed on the Turris trade

also giving up a first rounder on the Hartman trade look bad at the moment
He didn't really give up much value on the Turris trade. They moved Girard at his highest value and moved out a B prospect in Kamenev along with a late 2nd. Turris was a long-term add for them and they got some good value.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He didn't really give up much value on the Turris trade. They moved Girard at his highest value and moved out a B prospect in Kamenev along with a late 2nd. Turris was a long-term add for them and they got some good value.
I know but they gave up a decent prospect...plus they're paying him 6 mil for a looong time

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They shouldn't do this unless Green was willing to take a one year deal.

I doubt he takes 1 year. He probably wants 3-4 years. He’ll still be effective at his role for 2-3 years and it buys time for players like Bear and the 10th OA. Just don’t give him the Chia special NMC.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Would be fine giving Green 2 years at 5.5M (too much for him still, but I'd live with it). Would actually prefer avoiding him completely and target a guy like Trouba in a reasonable trade.

Oilers should target Jets mid-salary players like Perreault, Little and Trouba. The Jets are going to feel the salary crunch big time unless they're willing to increase their payroll by 20M/yr.

Same goes for the Preds. I could see C. Smith being available. I think they'll hang on to Ellis for another playoff run next season and then see what the cap is like - and where his value might be. I doubt he's available for anything less than an over-payment.

The Oilers need to learn the biggest lesson from the Jets - draft, develop and keep your own players. We have to hope that some of Benson, Safin, Puuljujarvi, Samorukov, Maksimov, Jones, Bear, Skinner actually develop into quality NHLers.

That's the only way to compete with Winnipeg and the other developing Western powerhouses. The Oilers are 8 players shy of having what the Jets have. We have McDavid - and they MUST develop young talent around him in the next 2-4 seasons. Helleybuck is also a huge asset for the Jets. The Oilers haven't developed (and kept) a top end goaltender since Fuhr - that's pretty pathetic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->