Rumor: Rumours & Proposals - (Chia discussion will be met with a threadban)

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They won't finish below us this year, not a chance. Not sure what the problem is there but it sure as hell isn't Hamilton.

Larsson doesn't have room to grow, he's 25. This is as good as he'll get.
So you're not sure what's wrong with them, but you're sure they'll finish ahead of us.

I know exactly what's wrong with our team and I'm confident we'll finish ahead of them and all of their 'top pairing' defensemen.

You also speak with such certainty that a player's development will just stop. No, you're just hoping it does.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
you're excusing the players pitiful performance and pinning on the GM

the ultimate excuse

LOL. Yes, I’m excusing the players for being pretty much what they should have been expected to be.

McDavid on course to be McDavid. Drai, Lucic, Maroon, Larsson, Russell, etc. All who we thought they were.
I mean, Ryan Strome is Ryan Strome. It’s not his fault people expected something else.
RNH is outperforming expectations. JP as well.

Who is struggling individually?
Who is doing less than should have been reasonably expected?

Talbot. That would have been mitigated by a reliable back up.
Klefbom. That would have been mitigated with a Sekera stop gap.

Furthermore, taking your view, who assembled this team of underachievers? ;)

Anyway, I actually thought this was a different thread. This is waayyy off topic, so I’m out.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I re-read the Mod warning from the first post and I'm struggling to figure out what is so hard to understand about it.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
He's still a key fixture on their penalty-kill, which is top 15 in the league. For a team as lousy as Buffalo, that's pretty good.
I never really liked Benny, but, the guy is a star on the penalty kill.
The Oilers PK has been bad for over a calendar year now. It sucked the back half of last year as well. Pouliot might have helped a bit, but one guy can only do so much when there's typically 6-8 different forwards out on any particular penalty kill. It's definitely a coaching issue at this point.

Also, it'd be tough for Pouliot to be helping on the PK when he'd be the one sitting in the box quite often for a dumb OZone penalty.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
So you're not sure what's wrong with them, but you're sure they'll finish ahead of us.

I know exactly what's wrong with our team and I'm confident we'll finish ahead of them and all of their 'top pairing' defensemen.

You also speak with such certainty that a player's development will just stop. No, you're just hoping it does.
I don't watch the Flames enough to pretend to know the problem with that team. On paper their roster is very solid.

We're likely going to finish bottom 3 in the west this season. The Flames are still fighting for a playoff spot and we've already given up. I predicted that they'd finish ahead of us in the offseason and I'm confident that will happen.

Players don't usually develop this late. I highly doubt Larsson will suddenly become a top pairing dman after already being in the league for 7 years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't watch the Flames enough to pretend to know the problem with that team. On paper their roster is very solid.

We're likely going to finish bottom 3 in the west this season. The Flames are still fighting for a playoff spot and we've already given up. I predicted that they'd finish ahead of us in the offseason and I'm confident that will happen.

Players don't usually develop this late. I highly doubt Larsson will suddenly become a top pairing dman after already being in the league for 7 years.

Both are going to miss this year and both are overrated as teams. On the plus side I'd side much rather be starting with our core than theirs. That and they pissed away their 1st rounder this year for nothing, lol. Oh boy if that pick wins the lottery.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
If that Ceci deal has any truth to it chia should be fired.

Ridiculous.

I don't trust Dreger.

And Ive been a Chia supporter/defender but if he ever even considered moving Taylor Hall for Cody Ceci I dont want him anywhere near this team

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's Adam Larsson? Well some are beyond help at this point.

Uh yeah? Staois (prime) was a solid defender for this team a strong no.3 that could move and play no.2 minutes as well. Limited offence and skill set, not a great first pass.

That's pretty much Adam Larsson. He's nothing that special. Sekera is better than him.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Both are going to miss this year and both are overrated as teams. On the plus side I'd side much rather be starting with our core than theirs. That and they pissed away their 1st rounder this year for nothing, lol. Oh boy if that pick wins the lottery.

I'm not sure I could handle Snow winning the lottery, even at Calgary's expense.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Uh yeah? Staois (prime) was a solid defender for this team a strong no.3 that could move and play no.2 minutes as well. Limited offence and skill set, not a great first pass.

That's pretty much Adam Larsson. He's nothing that special. Sekera is better than him.

Peak Staios was actually pretty damn good.

Could definitely pass, had some underrated mobility, great leadership and physicality, and a hard (if not accurate) shot.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Sekera at 25:

69GP 3G 10A 13pts.

EDIT: and Steve Staios didn't blossom into a good defender until around 28...Larsson still has plenty of room to grow (Like Sekera and Staios did)

Reactions: ujju2

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Staios actually played forward first in Atlanta before being shifted to D by the Oilers.

I miss the days when the Oilers could find solid D out of nowhere. They managed to grab guys like Brewer, Poti, Staios, Hamrlik, Smith, Niinimaa, etc. with shrewd trading and free agency.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
At this point Duclair would replace say a Strome, we let Strome go this offseason. Duclair even as a reclamation project brings more speed, skill then Strome on the wing. He is younger and his upside is pretty good. If we hit on Duclair , that's your permanent first line right there. get Lucic out of there. Maybe getting in Duclair, getting rid of Strome, and Gryba, gives us that bit more to sign Maroon ? who knows.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At this point Duclair would replace say a Strome, we let Strome go this offseason. Duclair even as a reclamation project brings more speed, skill then Strome on the wing. He is younger and his upside is pretty good. If we hit on Duclair , that's your permanent first line right there. get Lucic out of there. Maybe getting in Duclair, getting rid of Strome, and Gryba, gives us that bit more to sign Maroon ? who knows.
Duclair is a left shot compared to Stromes right shot. He also isn't as good, doesn't take faceoffs and would cost assets. Strome is paid for.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Duclair being scratched on a team even worse than the Oilers gives me some pause. Although maybe he got Slepyshev'ed by the Coyotes coaching staff.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I think he's closer to Jason Smith, with the meanness and ability to really beat on forwards. Sorry for my strong reaction, that's how I remember Staois as well, but normally he's brought up in derisive terms. I over reacted.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Staios actually played forward first in Atlanta before being shifted to D by the Oilers.

I miss the days when the Oilers could find solid D out of nowhere. They managed to grab guys like Brewer, Poti, Staios, Hamrlik, Smith, Niinimaa, etc. with shrewd trading and free agency.
I feel like firing Charlie Huddy was a big mistake. He did a great job getting a lot out of his defensemen.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I feel like firing Charlie Huddy was a big mistake. He did a great job getting a lot out of his defensemen.

At the time I think the majority of people were happy with the firing because he represented the OBC (and the entire MacT coaching staff had gotten pretty stale by that point).

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Duclair is a left shot compared to Stromes right shot. He also isn't as good, doesn't take faceoffs and would cost assets. Strome is paid for.

my personal belief is if we miss the boat with him we will regret it. There is some talent there with this guy , Gretzky couldn't take the Yotes out of the toilet. Duclair needs a proper set up man with speed and skill to work off of. Strome is about as stone cold as it gets when it comes to skill and speed.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
my personal belief is if we miss the boat with him we will regret it. There is some talent there with this guy that, Gretzky couldn't take the Yotes out of the toilet. Duclair needs a proper set up man with speed and skill to work off of. Strome is about as stone cold as it gets when it comes to skill and speed.
Who does Duclair play with. He is 5'11", left shot 185 pounds. He is better than Slepyshev and Cagguila which is nice but I mean...anything more than a meh prospect and a 3rd would be a scary overpay.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
because top pairing d-men simply aren't traded...unless it's for another top-pairing D (Weber-Subban)[/QUOTE

Subban was shopped to Edmonton but deal was nixed by Chiarelli according to Bergevin. Bergevin was asking for Drai, Klefbom and a 1st rd pick. So Edmonton could have landed the big RHD but Chiarelli couldn't pull the trigger. Imagine that having an Art Ross and Norris trophy winners, an elite centre and dman? That's one trade I would have made!!![/quote]

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
At the time I think the majority of people were happy with the firing because he represented the OBC (and the entire MacT coaching staff had gotten pretty stale by that point).
I disagree with this (I could be wrong though). I recall most fans wanting us to keep Huddy. I had agreed that the coaching had to go, but I wanted us to keep Huddy, and it seemed like most agreed.

Fans want coaches gone when their results are bad. Huddy seemed to do a good job all the time. It wasn't even a momentary dip that led up to his firing. It was just a mindless desire to wipe everyone away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad