Rumor: Rumours & Proposals - (Chia discussion will be met with a threadban)

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Maybe we don't get a franchise dman but a top pairing guy and an offensive RHD is not too much to ask for with all the pieces he had available to move. We got neither of those.

Say what you want about Lowe but he acquired 3 top pairing dmen when he was here (arguably 4 if you include that half season of Whitney before his injury) and spent far less to acquire them. Chia has traded a 1st round pick in a deep draft (used to draft a future superstar in Barzal), a 2nd, an elite top 10 winger, and a consistent 25 goal scorer and all he has to show for it is a one dimensional second pairing dman and a mediocre third liner.

The major problem with our D is that there's no room to upgrade due to bad contracts and NMCs. Russell is the odd man out back there and we're stuck with him for 4 years. We don't have room to add a top 4 offensive RHD because we're spending 4mil on a bottom pairing pylon who's only useful trait is his ability to get hit by pucks.

Between the dates I've provided you in the last post, it absolutely was. The factors involved in making those trades were more complex than how good you think Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle are as hockey players. They are $6m wingers and you don't generally build a team around wingers.

You are also significantly undervaluing Adam Larsson now as well, so I'm going to stop.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We just care about the team a lot and are concerned after being pummeled by 2 teams that we were able to beat last year and are a long ways away from the playoffs at this point in time. I just cant sit back and watch the GM downgrade all of our assets and the coaching operating an atrocious special teams despite the plethora of talent on the team. If that's a witch hunt then yeah, I'm guilty as charged

When you make a comment saying "some of you are in denial" regarding Dreger's rumor then yeah, it reeks of a witch hunt if you are taking Dreger's word as gospel basically looking for any reason to trash Chia even more.
Again, not saying that he hasn't made some mistakes but Dreger is verbal diarrhea at this point so I have a hard time believing that Chia was willing to pull the trigger on a Ceci for Hall deal.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They meet Dreger at midnight in a dimly lit parkade behind a veil of cigarette smoke and speak in a gravely voice with a fedora pushed low over their eyes to pass this info on.
Probably this guy.

Hunter-Mascot-218x150.jpg

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Dreger is credible and has ties to upper management in Edmonton. If he's reporting this, I have no doubts it's true.

Someone on Kingsway obviously leaked this. Someone who disagreed on moving Hall. Someone who wants Chiarelli out.

Would suspect one of Lowe, MacT, or Gretzky.
If you think harder about it, Bryan Murray was still the GM them and he was known to just give up names....so yeah

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Duclair wants out, Oilers should try to do what they can to nab him. Would some picks or Maroon work out ? who knows but definitely in the age range as well as price range

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The fear and paranoia on display by some over a throw crap on the wall to see what sticks “insider” rumor that did not happen and other silly rumours is absolutely hilarious.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Article is behind a paywall, but Duclair has supposedly requested a trade. I'm not sure Chayka deals him within the division but an interesting development nonetheless.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Duclair wants out, Oilers should try to do what they can to nab him. Would some picks or Maroon work out ? who knows but definitely in the age range as well as price range

I get the lure for this one. Not sure the Oilers need a reclamation project at this time.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If you think harder about it, Bryan Murray was still the GM them and he was known to just give up names....so yeah

To play devil's advocate, I believe he was pointed out as the likely source of the leak when Tambo tried getting Bishop (I wthink it was Bishop) for Ryan Jones and a pick/picks if I remember right AND the names of the players involved from the Oilers side when Kypreos said Heatly was going to be an Oiler.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Between the dates I've provided you in the last post, it absolutely was. The factors involved in making those trades were more complex than how good you think Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle are as hockey players. They are $6m wingers and you don't generally build a team around wingers.

You are also significantly undervaluing Adam Larsson now as well, so I'm going to stop.
The team down South had no problems finding a top pairing dman.

6mil for Taylor Hall is an absolute steal and New Jersey is currently 2nd in the toughest division in hockey with him as the main guy.

I'm not undervaluing Larsson at all. He's good defensively (not even elite) and isn't good at anything else. He's a worse version of Jason Smith.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
In all realness Duclair is a lesser Ryan Strome. If we are giving away a middling prospect and a 3rd then I could see it but other than that....he has no value.
I don't mind it. He's the type of player we should be targeting between now and the end of the season. The 8 PPG a couple of seasons ago is a nice touch. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to back down physically either.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The team down South had no problems finding a top pairing dman.

6mil for Taylor Hall is an absolute steal and New Jersey is currently 2nd in the toughest division in hockey with him as the main guy.

I'm not undervaluing Larsson at all. He's good defensively (not even elite) and isn't good at anything else. He's a worse version of Jason Smith.
The team down south pissed away an abundance of quality picks over several years and have nothing to show for it. They'll likely finish behind us this season and won't say a peep for the first two rounds at the draft table this summer while some very good players go to other teams.

And like I said, I'm not going down that road again. I'm very happy we have Adam Larsson. He's a core Edmonton Oiler with plenty of room to grow.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The team down south pissed away an abundance of quality picks and has nothing to show for it. They'll finish behind us his season.

And like I said, I'm not going down that road again. I'm very happy we have Adam Larsson. He's a core Edmonton Oiler with plenty of room to grow.

I'm not seeing much growth with Larsson. He is what he is largely IMO. Offensive upside is very limited. Defensively he's OK, not elite, prone to blowing coverage at weird times. Hits though.

His outlet pass is overrated, team still needs a puck moving D-Man as Larsson isn't much better at that than anyone else on the back end.

He's in that Steve Staois tier of d-man, below Sekera.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He shouldn't be allowed to do any big trades like dealing 1st round draft pick or Nuge. But he should be allowed to do minor trades like selling Maroon and Letestu at the trade deadline.

Fair enough. At this point his freedom as a GM should be restricted to minor trades and signings. The signings bit isn't much of a concern since he's handcuffed himself cap wise.

But he should not be allowed to trade RNH, our 1st, or anything along those lines. Not unless it has approval from Nicholson.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm not seeing much growth with Larsson. He is what he is largely IMO. Offensive upside is very limited. Defensively he's OK, not elite, prone to blowing coverage at weird times. Hits though.

He's in that Steve Staois tier of d-man, below Sekera.
Of course not, our defense has a whole this season has under-performed. When Larsson doesn't have a puck-moving option has a defensive partner, his game will suffer.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
To play devil's advocate, I believe he was pointed out as the likely source of the leak when Tambo tried getting Bishop (I wthink it was Bishop) for Ryan Jones and a pick/picks if I remember right AND the names of the players involved from the Oilers side when Kypreos said Heatly was going to be an Oiler.
So Murray leaked that, he leaked the "Heathley" trade, and there are others for other teams. He was notorious for that.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
for those claiming this team misses Pouliot

since his 3 pt game on November 11th he has 5pts and on most nights he has played top 6 minutes

He's still a key fixture on their penalty-kill, which is top 15 in the league. For a team as lousy as Buffalo, that's pretty good.
I never really liked Benny, but, the guy is a star on the penalty kill.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
The team down south pissed away an abundance of quality picks over several years and have nothing to show for it. They'll likely finish behind us this season and won't say a peep for the first two rounds at the draft table this summer while some very good players go to other teams.

They won't finish below us this year, not a chance. Not sure what the problem is there but it sure as hell isn't Hamilton.

Larsson doesn't have room to grow, he's 25. This is as good as he'll get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad