Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Subban Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
I have to..............???

still kinda gross. One guy who can't score, the other guy who's really small, and both who were "helped" by Ryan Suter.

I have to agree..........all these Defencemen..........R Murphy, T Spurgeon.....they are too small for what the Oiler's need........also remember Chia likes them big and tall.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I have to agree..........all these Defencemen..........R Murphy, T Spurgeon.....they are too small for what the Oiler's need........also remember Chia likes them big and tall.

Chiarelli also signed an undrafted Krug out of college, extended him twice, and made him a big part of his team, won the Cup with two centres around 6' and 200lb, and drafted a skinny Czech kid named Pastrnak.

He values talent more than size, IMO. I think he understands it takes many types of players to build a winner.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I think trading for a top pairing D and signing Demers is the way to go. When/if we lose a D to expansion it won't hit as hard.

I hear you.

I'd love to see one offensive guy (Vatanen, Barrie, Faulk) picked up and one defensive guy (Hamonic, Demers). The less assets given up, the better.

We have to remember that other teams will have to leave good defensemen unprotected and Vegas can only pick 6 or 7, I assume? They'll have to factor in the salary cap as well.

I'd really hate to shy away from improving your defence because if the expansion draft.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
We can draft Dubios if a trade doesn't open up. It gives us options to move out other players. We could probably move Reinhart and Yakupov with some picks to get a few "less desired" top pairing guys.

Hall-Draisaitl-Maroon
Pouliot-McDavid-Dubois
Kassian-RNH-Eberle
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpi

Klefbom-Brodin
Sekera-Vatanen
Nurse-Gryba
Davidson

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
We can draft Dubios if a trade doesn't open up. It gives us options to move out other players. We could probably move Reinhart and Yakupov with some picks to get a few "less desired" top pairing guys.

Hall-Draisaitl-Maroon
Pouliot-McDavid-Dubois
Kassian-RNH-Eberle
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpi

Klefbom-Brodin
Sekera-Vatanen
Nurse-Gryba
Davidson

Fayne is unfortunately around for a while unless Chia pulls something magical off. Going with your Brodin/Vatanen pickups here's what I'm thinking. Start Nurse off on the farm for some seasoning:

Klefa-Brodin
Sekera-Vatanen
Davidson-Gryba
Oesterle

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I hear you.

I'd love to see one offensive guy (Vatanen, Barrie, Faulk) picked up and one defensive guy (Hamonic, Demers). The less assets given up, the better.

We have to remember that other teams will have to leave good defensemen unprotected and Vegas can only pick 6 or 7, I assume? They'll have to factor in the salary cap as well.

I'd really hate to shy away from improving your defence because if the expansion draft.

I'm all about improving the defense as well. But when the expansion comes around, the assets we gave up only got us a top 4 D and not a true top pairing D. You have to ask yourself, is it that top 4 D worth the assets + losing one of Klef/Davidson? We are talking about these guys are also top 4 D's. That's throwing away assets

If we are already going to spend assets, we might as well go for the #1/#2D

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey

Hall-Draisaitl-Maroon
Pouliot-McDavid-Dubois
Kassian-RNH-Eberle
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpi

Klefbom-Brodin
Sekera-Vatanen
Nurse-Gryba
Davidson

Dubois is pro ready?

If we're keeping the pick and taking him, I leave him in the Q for another year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Chiarelli also signed an undrafted Krug out of college, extended him twice, and made him a big part of his team, won the Cup with two centres around 6' and 200lb, and drafted a skinny Czech kid named Pastrnak.

He values talent more than size, IMO. I think he understands it takes many types of players to build a winner.

He does, but Krug is an easier fit when you have a Monster like Chara anchoring the blueline.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He does, but Krug is an easier fit when you have a Monster like Chara anchoring the blueline.

Chara is on the bench when Krug is playing. You can have a 7'3 300 pound D on your team. But he ahs no impact on play when hes on the bench

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Dubois is pro ready?

If we're keeping the pick and taking him, I leave him in the Q for another year.

Im putting my money hes in NHL. 6'3 with pro size and 99 points in Q. Landeskog/Monahan/Coutier all made NHL right after draft. All same size, similar style and all below him in offense

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Chara is on the bench when Krug is playing. You can have a 7'3 300 pound D on your team. But he ahs no impact on play when hes on the bench

I guess the point was missed. Yes Chara has been on the point when Krug is playing, but he's always there to play 25 to 30 minutes of the game, so he can take the pressure off that smaller player.

It don't know what's being lost in this, smaller player tend to struggle physically. If they don't have to be counted on as much, they have success, unfortunately on the Oilers such a player would be heavily counted on, so it will likely lead to a lack of success beyond the player's control.

You can be a smaller player and succeed in the NHL, but you're going to encounter difficulties, and these difficulties could be magnified by the Oilers' already existing difficulties.

Again, not sure what's difficult about this.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I guess the point was missed. Yes Chara has been on the point when Krug is playing, but he's always there to play 25 to 30 minutes of the game, so he can take the pressure off that smaller player.

It don't know what's being lost in this, smaller player tend to struggle physically. If they don't have to be counted on as much, they have success, unfortunately on the Oilers such a player would be heavily counted on, so it will likely lead to a lack of success beyond the player's control.

You can be a smaller player and succeed in the NHL, but you're going to encounter difficulties, and these difficulties could be magnified by the Oilers' already existing difficulties.

Again, not sure what's difficult about this.

Spurgeon wouldnt be playing 25-30 mins a night. Well actually he already does play top minutes on Wild and succeeds, but lets suspend reality for a bit. There are plenty of smaller D who succeed in top minutes on NHL teams. Its not about being small or really big. Its about skill and ability. 6'6 D fail in NHL, 5'9 D succeed in top pairing positions. Some 5'9D fail, some 6'6 D succeed.

Writing off a proven top pairing D on an actual playoff team is confusing. We arent talking about Joey Laleggia, we are talking about a legit proven guy.

And further, if he on the Oilers, there is a good chance he is 2nd pairing (with addition of Demers/Hamonic etc). Which he would be even better suited for

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hes essentially a younger, better, cheaper Petry

D2La0KN.png

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Spurgeon wouldnt be playing 25-30 mins a night. Well actually he already does play top minutes on Wild and succeeds, but lets suspend reality for a bit. There are plenty of smaller D who succeed in top minutes on NHL teams. Its not about being small or really big. Its about skill and ability. 6'6 D fail in NHL, 5'9 D succeed in top pairing positions. Some 5'9D fail, some 6'6 D succeed.
If you add him to the Oilers, his minutes are going to approach those numbers, but there's no Ryan Suter here, it's a set up for him to fail, this is my problem. Beyond his size, it's just a set up for failure beyond his control.
Writing off a proven top pairing D on an actual playoff team is confusing. We arent talking about Joey Laleggia, we are talking about a legit proven guy.
I'm not writing off a top pairing guy, (proven top-pair, when you're paired with Suter 'or Weber, Doughty, etc' can be quite different then actually proven). He's a fine defenseman, I think it sets him up to fail when he comes to the Oilers to fill a Hole he can't actually fill.
And further, if he on the Oilers, there is a good chance he is 2nd pairing (with addition of Demers/Hamonic etc). Which he would be even better suited for
Well I don't assume that, and if you only add Spurgeon and Demers, prepare for struggles, because that's that set up to failure I've been talking about.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Is that a smart decision by the organization?

Given our future cap structure, we need to buy as many ELC years as possible.

Whatever is best right now. If he comes to camp and forces his way onto the team then play him. Having him force his way onto team saves you the trouble of finding an expensive depth winger. Worry about cap in 3 years (when hell be bridged anyway)

This is assuming he proves it. But I cant see him not on the team. Marner last year would have made NHL however they said he needed to bulk up, Strome too (and improve skating). PLD is pro size, has pro skating and has serious skill. Numerous sub top 3 pick forwards (or players of his ilk) make NHL out of draft.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Who PLAYS with RYAN SUTER.

He had similar metrics last year in a slightly softer situation without Suter. 1st on Wilds D for possession metrics, 2nd pairing minutes. Scandella as his partner. This year played the hardest minutes of any D on Wild, 2nd best possession (behind Suter)

Barrely a drop in his possession away from Suter, Suter barely increased

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If you add him to the Oilers, his minutes are going to approach those numbers, but there's no Ryan Suter here, it's a set up for him to fail, this is my problem. Beyond his size, it's just a set up for failure beyond his control.

I'm not writing off a top pairing guy, (proven top-pair, when you're paired with Suter 'or Weber, Doughty, etc' can be quite different then actually proven). He's a fine defenseman, I think it sets him up to fail when he comes to the Oilers to fill a Hole he can't actually fill.

Well I don't assume that, and if you only add Spurgeon and Demers, prepare for struggles, because that's that set up to failure I've been talking about.

lol what? How are you going to struggle because he add a proven top pairing D (or elite 2nd pairing D) and a really good 2nd pairing D? To add that to Sekera/klefbom/Davidson (last 2 over 6'3)

The last thing we should be worrying about is size. Like do you think when Suter and Spurgeon are on the ice Suter jumps in front of all the hits? or get all the pucks from the corner. Watch Spurgeon for 2 seconds. He can more than handle the biggest players in NHL. If Spurgeon playing top pairing minutes is our biggest worry than we truely are a good team

Spurgeon is more than proven in the toughest division in the best conference in the NHL. Hes proven with bad partners, hes proven with medicore partners in medium roles, hes proven with good partners in extremely tough minutes

If you are searching for a 6'2+ top pairing D proven in West in toughest competition with bad parnters, good luck.

Beggars cant be choosers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad